Too many broken glasses!

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have had a problem with Tubee for about one year now where he knocks over any and every glass with any sort of liquid (or even without), his water bowl, etc. He gets clean water constantly throughout the day, and even has water running in the bathroom sink for him and samba, and yet he still spills everything. We have tried just about everything to get him to stop, spraying him with water didn't work, we tried harsh noises to get him to stop, that didn't work either. We finally got a water bowl that is untipable but we are tired of broken glasses. We try to always put them away, but sometimes we forget and we get another broken glass. Any ideas on how to make him stop? He does know it is wrong, he makes sure no one is watching before he does it, and after he hears us coming he runs. Any suggestions would be great!

Manda

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our house we squirt vinegar instead of water. They don't mind water but hate the smell of vinegar so they concentrate on cleaning the smell off instead of whatever bad thing they were doing.

But I think the easiest thing would be is to make sure your cat doesn't get ahold of anything.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a hard time with Fluffy getting into my cabinets and pushing stuff out. She has so far defeated everything I have tried to use to keep the doors shut. She is a tiny thing under all that fluff and squeezes right through. My dishes are getting fewer and fewer. Yesterday morning she broke a cannister that my daddy won at the company picnic when I was a little girl. It was nearly an antique. I woke up this morning to half a gallon of soy sauce on my kitchen floor, and the list just goes on and on. Ungrateful little creature! At least she does not bother the glasses. If you have any luck, let me know. Seems we have a similar problem.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheap plastic glasses.

Bring out the nice ones for dinner or somesuch, but throughout the day... plastic.

We do this... between the dog and cat we lost too many nice tumblers.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me Tubee is bored and does this to keep him occupied.
Forensic has a good suggestion though.
And like okiron said, the best way is to keep those breakable things away from kitty.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the same problem with Gus. One day he even decided to head butt a glass of water right into my laptop. He also has this new thing where he goes into the bathroom, opens the medicine cabinet and throws everything out onto the floor. Nothing works for him either, but I know he's bored when he does that stuff. Usually I'll find Ramsay up on the fireplace mantel where Gus can't get to when he's in his "crazy" mood. Smart kitty
. So after we yell at him, we play with him and try to tire him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is, if we are drinking water or something while watching tv we can not put it down or he will spill it, even if we would use plastic, there would still be water everywhere. We play with him always, between playing fetch (yes i said playing fetch, he loves it) and using the laser pointer and interactive toys, i don't know how he could be bored. I don't know what to do, we are thinking about putting vinegar in a glass and leaving it out, maybe that would work, so we are going to try that, I'll tell you if it works.

Manda

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmomof3cats

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is, if we are drinking water or something while watching tv we can not put it down or he will spill it, even if we would use plastic, there would still be water everywhere. We play with him always, between playing fetch (yes i said playing fetch, he loves it) and using the laser pointer and interactive toys, i don't know how he could be bored. I don't know what to do, we are thinking about putting vinegar in a glass and leaving it out, maybe that would work, so we are going to try that, I'll tell you if it works.

Manda
Oh, he plays with water. But use a plastic glass for your experiment just in case.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmomof3cats

Manda
You could try water bottles. We did that when Nabu went through a dumping everything phase. We had the main problem when we went to bed, if there was water beside the bed he would dump it. He woke up my husband one night by dumping a huge glass of water on him and the mattress.
It wasn't good.

Does your kitty have a fountain? Maybe if he has his own running water he won't need to tip your glasses?
I have noticed in the years since I got my cats a fountain they have less fascination with my water glass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We tried a fountain, but he kept knocking it over. Right now we have a dog water bowl because it is the only bowl he couldn't knock over(he still tries though) But we do have water running in the bathroom and he LOVES that. We are still trying different things right now, If anything works I'll tell you. Thanks again!

Manda