Does anyone know how to read/write in Vietnamese?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have somewhat of an interesting request. Does anyone know how to read/write in Vietnamese?

Colin and I recently got married (he's 1/2 Vietnamese...his mom is from Vietnam). Anyways, a lot of his family members were very sweet and sent us gifts/etc for our wedding. The majority of them sent them in Vietnamese and unfortunately I can not read or write in it
Colin only knows a few basic words and can not read/write in that language eithor as his parents raised him to learn English. I plan to ask his mom for help writing the notes, but she is in a different state, so it's a little hard to get ahold of each other at the same time.

I want to make sure that i let these people know how much we appreciate their kindness, and i would like to write it in the language they can read in. (a lot of his family can not read english well). Anyone know Vietnamese that might be able to give us a few basic pointers/general words for a thankyou note?

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't help you but I would love to learn. Vietnamese is one of my favorite languages and I love their culture. If I ever want to become a parent I'm planning on adopting a Vietnamese child.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

If I ever want to become a parent I'm planning on adopting a Vietnamese child.
Oh that's soo cool! We have talked of eithor adopting from Vietnam or Russia as he's part Vietnamese and i'm part Russian...in the event that we can't concieve since i have some fertility problems. That's soo neat that someone else is thinking of that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

You might check at a local college campus to see if there's anyone there that could help out. That's the only thing I can think of!
Neithor the U of M or Southwest offer Vietnamese clases so i doubt i'll luck out there. Now what i might try is asking the lady who does my nails for a little help. I just remembered, she's from Vietnam and is fluent. I bet she'd help!
We may also try to ask the people at the Pho resturant where we eat all the time for a little advice on the thankyou notes (we even had our rehersal dinner there and are on a first name basis with them- so i bet they'd not mind !
)

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Oh that's soo cool! We have talked of eithor adopting from Vietnam or Russia as he's part Vietnamese and i'm part Russian...in the event that we can't concieve since i have some fertility problems. That's soo neat that someone else is thinking of that!
Oh that's so neat! Good luck with everything. I'm Japanese and my other half is Native American so it'll be interesting to have a Vietnamese baby lmao.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Neithor the U of M or Southwest offer Vietnamese clases so i doubt i'll luck out there. Now what i might try is asking the lady who does my nails for a little help. I just remembered, she's from Vietnam and is fluent. I bet she'd help!
We may also try to ask the people at the Pho resturant where we eat all the time for a little advice on the thankyou notes (we even had our rehersal dinner there and are on a first name basis with them- so i bet they'd not mind !
)
I bet you can find someone who will help for a fee, probably student age and needing a little money on the side.