How much to give for housesitting?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're away for 2 weeks next month, so will be getting in someone to stay at our place to look after the kitties. They don't need much as they have an automatic feeder, and a water dispenser, and we have a litter locker, so the litter just needs scooping into the litter locker once a day.

I really just want someone there to hang out with the kitties so they don't get destructive.

So I don't want a "professional" house/cat sitter - I'm looking for someone who it would be convenient for. They would have access to our car if needed, and we live in a fairly nice area.

The last person we had, we paid her $100/week and stocked the fridge - she works near our house, but lives with her parents about an hour away, so it was super convenient for her and saved her time and money. She wasn't the cleanest though...

So I have a couple of options, but I really don't know what amount is reasonable. We'd be paying over $500 for a pet hotel type thing, but it'd be free if we just got our neighbour or a friend to stop by regularly.

What do you guys think?

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly if it was me, I'd do 2 weeks for $40. I mean, I'll still be able to work my normal job, just come stay and keep the animals company and get a stocked fridge? That's if I knew the person though. Maybe $50-$100 for the 2 weeks? $100/week just sounds a bit much if you're stocking the fridge and they're just there for company.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to housesit for 10$/day just to pop over for one cat. I've also stayed in a couple's house with a bird, two cats, and a dog. They gave me 200$ for the week (I wasn't expecting any money at all!)

I paid a friend 50$ to stop by my house once a day on her way to work last summer, but now my bf takes care of her if I'm gone.

Perhaps you could work out some sort of deal with a friend who also has pets, that you'll sit for them when they go on vacation if they'll do the same?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're giving them a place to live for 2 weeks, a fully stocked fridge and access to your car and the gasoline in it. So I think $50 to $75.00 per week on top of that is more than adequate. It's not like they are having to spend their own money on gasoline and the time to drive to your house just to look after your cats once or twice a day. They will be living there.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We're away for 2 weeks next month, so will be getting in someone to stay at our place to look after the kitties. They don't need much as they have an automatic feeder, and a water dispenser, and we have a litter locker, so the litter just needs scooping into the litter locker once a day.

I really just want someone there to hang out with the kitties so they don't get destructive.

So I don't want a "professional" house/cat sitter - I'm looking for someone who it would be convenient for. They would have access to our car if needed, and we live in a fairly nice area.

The last person we had, we paid her $100/week and stocked the fridge - she works near our house, but lives with her parents about an hour away, so it was super convenient for her and saved her time and money. She wasn't the cleanest though...

So I have a couple of options, but I really don't know what amount is reasonable. We'd be paying over $500 for a pet hotel type thing, but it'd be free if we just got our neighbour or a friend to stop by regularly.

What do you guys think?
I am quite lucky that I have a sister-in-law that would take my cats into her house and give them good care for nothing. We are now staying in a hotel for 12 days and decided to keep the cats with us for a total charge of $50. But, to answer your question, $100 a week sounds like a lot, but small compared to the $500 you mentioned. I had NO Idea that a pet hotel charged that much!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I housesit regularly and receive $50/day for two dogs and a cat.
I also water plants (in and out), take the mail in, take phone messages, etc. My job is to take care of the animals and make it look like someone is living in the house (lots of burgarlies in this area).

For two cats, but still the time commitment, I wouldnt do it for less than $25 but would expect at least $30. It is "easy" - but they trust me implicitly and it helps the owners relax while they are away.

They dont leave food though - but if they did, it wouldnt be anything really I would eat or drink. They leave coffee out but I dont like and bring my own, including cream and sweetner. Their tap water tastes terrible so I bring jugs of it. The cost can be steeper than you can imagine.

OTOH, if I had a college student do it who didnt really understand how it works and it is to their benefit b/c they live at home, I'd try $15/day. My usual client did that to save money one summer - guess what? They came home to party wreckage and the neighbors said they rarely saw her even there.

I'm very much a grown up and that is what they are paying for. (I know there are responsible students...I just think it is possible statistically that your chances are lower)

Do you mean $100 for 7 days = week? (Not trying to be stupid). I would do maybe $100 for 5 days. I know you said you would stock the fridge, but does this person cook? Will they leave the stove on? etc...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep - $100 for 7 days. Like I said - the only thing required to be done is scoop the litter tray and keep the cats company. We put a hold on our mail, have no house plants that need watering, and are trying to find someone who it is convenient for (as opposed to someone who is doing it to make money) so it works out cheaper for us.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Yep - $100 for 7 days. Like I said - the only thing required to be done is scoop the litter tray and keep the cats company. We put a hold on our mail, have no house plants that need watering, and are trying to find someone who it is convenient for (as opposed to someone who is doing it to make money) so it works out cheaper for us.
^ I'm gonna stay home before I pay someone $100/5-7 days to do that lol.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to petsit as a side job from my vet tech job and I was charging $35 per day, and that was if I stayed at their place. I have since stopped petsitting as it became too much work outside of my own full time job and a house full of my own cats, but I would check around and see what boarding is in your area and base it off that. That is what I did and then added 5 dollars for the fact of gas money, time and the fact that they are spending it at home in their own comfortable surroundings.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

^ I'm gonna stay home before I pay someone $100/5-7 days to do that lol.
Yeah but it saves us hundres of dollars in damage that Stumpy would do if there was nobody there

Last time we went away for more than a few days and didn't have a housesitter (just had someone checking on them), the night we got back she chewed through both of our laptop charger cables, which cost about $70 each to replace! We got the point not to leave her alone...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm paid $100/week. Well, $100 is my base fee, for the gal I cat sit for. I didn't give her an amount, that's just what she pays me for peace of mind. I will take her cats to the vet (30 mins away) if necessary. The vet & I are on good terms, & I'm very attentive to her kitties, so she pays me more than she would someone else for that sense of peace.

I've cat sat for her....I think for 4 days & got paid the $100 still. It's 5 miles one way, so no biggie there for travel. I check on them at elast 2x a day @ 30 mins each time. We are also very rural.

I think it depends on who you get what you pay them. If they do a very good job, they get paid well. If you come home to find Stumpy's destroyed everything as the cat sitter ignored her, then well....the cat sitter wouldn't get paid as well.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I guess I don't charge enough for my services then. But I give damn good service. You get what you pay for doesn't include me. I just think if I wouldn't wanna pay it, why would they.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I were close enough to do it. I'd pay you for the joy of being around Smudge.

I pet sit for my neighbours when they go away and I don't charge anything because I just love to spend time with their cats. If you have a neighbour you can trust I would get them to do it. My neighbours kindly brought me back a lovely gift but I would have been just as happy without it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I wish I were close enough to do it. I'd pay you for the joy of being around Smudge.

I pet sit for my neighbours when they go away and I don't charge anything because I just love to spend time with their cats. If you have a neighbour you can trust I would get them to do it. My neighbours kindly brought me back a lovely gift but I would have been just as happy without it.
Hmmmm is a flight from ON to SFO around the same price as I would pay a housesitter?