5.4 earthquake in the midwwest USA

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I felt it. I was asleep, first I thought it was a train (se live close to the tracks and they sometimes cause the house to shake), then I thought the cats were being mischevious but they were downstairs with hubby.

I have felt earthquakes before, but they were always on the west coast where they belong.

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably felt it and thats what got me up around that time this morning, had to go to the bathroom. No damage here as of yet, Louisvillle was reporting some damage downtown, that's all the Indianapolis tv stations are leading off with this morning.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They interviewed a woman here (South Bend) who felt it on the 8th floor of her hotel. I wasn't awake and was oblivious to it but I'm guessing it didn't do much on the ground levels here. What's funny is that woman they interviewed (from Cali) was so surprised that she felt it here in Indiana. I guess a lot of people don't realize that northern IN is on a pretty big fault line. We have as much of a chance of sliding into Lake Michigan as Cali does of sliding into the ocean.

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't forget the fault down by Saint Louis, I remember a couple of years ago everyone thought that there was going to be a major one there too.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the Green Bay TV station I was watching this morning the weatherman said he was in the basement of the TV station at 4:30 am and he felt a vibration and he thought it felt like an warthquake. This must have been a big one to have been felt in a wide part of the midwest.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We felt it here in Cincy. It woke me up when the bed started to shake. At first I thought it was the cats, but when it went on for more than a few seconds, thought, "Oh wow. That must have been an earthquake." No damage here. Glad you're okay, Jan!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had just told dh that you had an earthquake when it came on the news on the radio.. Here we would have just rolled over and went back to sleep. LOL

Glad all of you are OK

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our NBC afiliate had just started their morning show when it hit and you could hear equipment and the building rattling.

Yes, we have an active fault zone here in the midwest. 2nd to the one on the west coast. In 1811 and 1812 there were earthquakes estimated to be about 8.0. (New Madrid fault zone.)

Residents in the immediate area of the epicenter are reporting cracks in concrete and one mobile home was knocked askew from it's foundation. But no injury reports.

Many calling or emailing the TV stations report their animals were behaving oddly before it happened. I can't vouch for mine since they were no where near me when it happened.

I'm okay. Just sleepy from being awakened so early.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been in contact with adymarie who lives in Canada and she has heard reports that someone in a Toronto highrise felt it.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm near Cinci and I felt it, it woke me up. I couldn't find Juno, she had gotten scared and hid under the blanket at the foot of the bed... an unusual sleeping spot for her.

Thunder knew it was coming yesterday morning... but I didn't believe him that something was wrong. He always whines and paces all day before a thunderstorm, and he did that all day yesterday. But it was such a beautiful day and they weren't forecasting any storms so I thought he was just upset because he wanted to go outside and play. I tried to keep him busy, but he didn't want to settle down. Now I know why.

None of the cats or the other dogs were affected by it at all, but a few of the horses were flighty this morning when I went out to feed them.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just outside Louisville, KY and felt it. It was enough to jolt me out of bed (well the couch. I sleep there when I'm sick). So I got up and saw that my bf was sleeping soundly at about 5:38 this morning. I thought I was imagining things until I turned on the news. It's pretty amazing that people in Texas and North Dakota even felt it and it was only a 5.2, the last I heard, just outside West Salem, ILL.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they have updated the intensity and it is now a 5.2. They have been showing a building in downtown Louisville that lost some of it's masonry.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's on West Kentucky Street. Some of the bricks fell off the top of the building. Luckily nobody was out on the street at that time.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was fast asleep, but there was a guy on TV from about 20 mins west of Milwaukee, that felt it.

I think my cats knew it was coming. Isaac can be a little agressive with the other cats from time to time, but he was especially bad yesterday morning. He was perfectly fine this morning. Then last night when I got home Jordan was under the bed & didn't come out when I called him. I was worried he was getting sick, but when I woke up this morning he was fine. After he ate he went right intot he front room and laid down in his bed. I think they could sense something was about to happen.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the one in 1986, that happened right around the time the Challanger blew up. I believe it was the same fault line. I remember seeing the IV bottles (that was when the majority of them were still glass) swinging on the IV poles in surgery. I was sleeping this morning, but it might have awakened me, as I got up right around that time to go to the bathroom.

The one in 1986 happened a month or so after my sister moved to San Diego. I couldn't wait to call her and tell her that we had an earthquake before she did!!!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't feel it. Of course I'm in Elkhart just below the MI state line. I felt the one in 1986.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just felt a 4.5 one. It occurred a few miles fromt he first one.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope...I've been sitting here at the computer, and I didn't feel it either. I think the one in 1986 was a 5.0, so you'd think we'd feel both the 5.4 and the 4.5 if they were near the 1986 site. I don't think the cats felt it either, since they're all sitting on their window seats, soaking up the sun, and oblivious to everything except their hedonistic enjoyment of the warm goodness.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I didn't feel it. Of course I'm in Elkhart just below the MI state line. I felt the one in 1986.
My hubby's best friend said it woke him up. I was dead to the world asleep but I bet if I'd been up I would have felt it.