Need Advice on picking a male or female bengal!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been researching the bengal breed for a year now. I am so fascinated by their exotic look and their unique personalities.

We have 3 Persians and 1 calico stray. We used to breed my male (Tedi) to Precious (our female) who died during delivery on my graduation day. We had kept one other male who was neutered and Tedi wasn't. We had to keep them seperated because the fights became so viscious that Tedi did bite me one time as I was switching the two out. It was so bad that he went through my sweat pants. We ended up having to give Sebastian away, but we found him a wonderful, loving home. Since that time, we had Tedi neutered. He no longer sprayed everything and he mellowed out a lot!

My aunt, who I have not had contact with in over 20 years, breeds bengals! I will be getting one from her and want to see if any of you think that another male would be ok or not? Do you think Tedi reacted that way because he was not neutered and we were breeding? Do you think a male would be ok now? He is 15 y/o and such a mellow cat. He is completely different than when he was younger.

We had Maya as a kitten and he did fine with her. They get along great. What are your thoughts?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the males are neutered, I think they make the better pets. I've had more luck with pets or show cats that were males.

Male Bengals are a high energy cat and may be too much for an older cat to handle. Females are supposed to be a little more calmer.

There are several Bengal breeders/owners in here and I'm sure they can give you more first hand experience in the 2 sexes.

I have one Oci now, and a 2nd one on order next spring

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Male Bengals are a high energy cat and may be too much for an older cat to handle. Females are supposed to be a little more calmer.
I agree with this, and having adopted my two over the last year, I am glad I started out with a female for that reason.

By the time Max moved in, I was completely prepared for his crazy antics and his energy level.

By the way, that money you would have spent on buying a bengal? Buy a cat wheel with it instead. Really great investment in their overall well-being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I agree with this, and having adopted my two over the last year, I am glad I started out with a female for that reason.

By the time Max moved in, I was completely prepared for his crazy antics and his energy level.

By the way, that money you would have spent on buying a bengal? Buy a cat wheel with it instead. Really great investment in their overall well-being.
I plan on doing just that! I also asked my aunt what she thought would be best. I haven't been this excited since my mom passed. I guess it was meant to be.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I plan on doing just that! I also asked my aunt what she thought would be best. I haven't been this excited since my mom passed. I guess it was meant to be.
i think your mom is still watching out for you
how fun & exciting - if i had room, i'd love to get one... but i'm at my limit!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a female Bengal who is now 10 months old and she is a little character!!!!! If I could have a whole house full of male and female Bengals I would!!!!!! They are so much fun!! Congratz on your soon to be Bengal!!!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My male Bengal, Simba is more affectionate than my femal Bengal, Angel, but he's also 100 x's more active, playful and naughty. That is not to say Angel (my female) isn't affectionate, because she is very loving. I think Bengal's are very loving cats. However, as everyone has said, they are usually very active.

I would say it depends on whether you want an extremely active cat who is into everything, or just an active cat, who isn't as demanding. I can only judge by my own Bengal's, and I would say that Angel (female) is MUCH better behaved than Simba (male). Simba requires 10 x's more playtime and interaction than Angel does. Angel may be unusually mellow for a Bengal, and I think Simba may be a more typical male Bengal.

One thing I'll say about Simba is that I can forget about keeping a neat home, because he loves to know things down from their shelves, and I usually have a major clean up 2 or 3 times a day, due to Simba's delight in knocking things down.

I would say, if you have an older cat in the house, I would try a female, though, because if they're anything like Angel, they'll be more mellow. Simba is a bit much for my 11 yr old Siamese.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your aunt about personality traits in the different lines she breeds.

Bengals are easily grouped into the category of "energetic and playful", and this is for the most part a correct generalization. However, some lines are more prone to being laid back where as others are at the extreme end of the playful antics spectrum.

Breeders will know their lines and will know which direction to steer clients in based on what they expect from their new bengal.

In our past lines the boys have always been the more outgoing, more rambunctious and more loving overall, but in the last 4 years we have been concentrating on making our girls equal to the boys in personality.

Our 2 top queens, Spellbound and her daughter Tuscany are prime examples of "overly affectionate but just a little naughty" bengal girls.
They are both a blast, but you have to be prepared to entertain them.

They are high maintenance, but that's what an interactive pet is all about.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I was going to say in my totally biased opinion
to get a boy but I think a girl might work better. Since Tedi did so well with Maya.
After talking to my aunt, who had a very similar situation, we decided on a girl. I have nothing against a boy and may get one at a later time once I get a marble, but for now, a girl is better for Tedi and the others. It won't be until next March or August that I get one.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I bet you want the time to go buy fast. I know I can not wait to get my Sphynx. I am going for a Girl too and I do not hate Males either.
Congrats on your Sphynx!
When are you getting her and is she close by?

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer females
We sure have a lot of TCS people waiting for pedigree kittens
I am one of them
I am waiting for a female Somali. I can't wait to see the pictures of all these babies! Way to exciting!