Splashing Her Water

bartpearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two 10 year old females. One (Maggie - aka Brattybutt) likes to play with her water in the water bowl. Up until recently it was just dropping her food nuggets into the water and fishing them out, but now she's knocking the water bowl around and spilling water all over the kitchen.

We've tried changing bowls, and putting the food and water bowl on a metal cookie sheet to contain the water, but she has defeated us at every turn.

She's diabetic and gets insulin twice a day; however, her blood sugar was just checked and is OK, and she's actually very good about getting her shots.

Anybody have any experience with a similar problem?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've read several posts of healthy cats playing with their water, spilling and splashing all over the place. It's one of those normal, funny and sometimes irritating cat behavior.

smokepeachangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 cats cup there paw and grab water to drink and groom themselves with and the play splish splash with it I was told it is normal so I just laugh Its really funny to watch them

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Look into a bowl that is heavy (made of metal or ceramic) and has a flat bottom or has rubber feet. Most stores have bowls that are clearly identified as non-tip over. You may need to look in the dog supplies section as this seems to be a more common issue with dogs.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i got chloe a fountain and she quit doing this. i guess when her water started splashing itself, it was more entertaining lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bartpearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Look into a bowl that is heavy (made of metal or ceramic) and has a flat bottom or has rubber feet. Most stores have bowls that are clearly identified as non-tip over. You may need to look in the dog supplies section as this seems to be a more common issue with dogs.
We're using a fairly heavy ceramic bowl with a flat bottom. I was thinking of velcro to secure it to the baking pan in which their bowls now sit.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little Bengal Zoey picks up her heavy water bowl with her mouth and tosses the water bowl all over the kitchen!! We have big water messes to clean up! She is just playing

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same thing with my Lucy Belle! She has a habit of testing her water with her paws before drinking. I realize that sometimes if the bowl is located a inch away from her usual spot, she'll push/pull it back to the right spot. Cats are always on the lookout for danger, especially when they feed, since they are at the most vulnerable state.

Therefore, it is important that their water and food dish placement is not obstructed. Make sure they have a clear view of their surrounding that they can keep an eye out for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bartpearl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Victory! Got one of those stainless steel bowls with the bottom wider than the top and rubber trim around the bottom. She still likes to dunk her nuggets and fish them out, but what little splashing goes with that is confined to the cookie sheet I put their bowls on.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I made myself a cup of tea before I gave the cats fresh water. As I was sitting here sipping away I heard their bowl go flying across the room.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey my Bengal picks up her big Stainless steel water bowl with her mouth and tosses water all over the kitchen. I think it's so funny!! She is just playing

She actually decided that one of my cats didn't need a drink of water so she drug the water bowl across the room then proceeded to pick it up and toss it!!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bartpearl

Victory! Got one of those stainless steel bowls with the bottom wider than the top and rubber trim around the bottom. She still likes to dunk her nuggets and fish them out, but what little splashing goes with that is confined to the cookie sheet I put their bowls on.
Glad to hear it's okay now!