Is this normal?

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so as some of you know I adopted my first cat about three weeks ago. So, some of my questions may be really stupid. Maddox has been eating and using the litter box up until three days ago. He has not came out from underneath my bed at all. Worried, I got his food and water this morning and placed it under the bed for him and I layed there. I started by giving him treats that he loves, and as soon as he smelled his food he went to town and ate like he was starving to death. Then he started rubbing up against everything under my bed like he was nuts. He would put his head in my hands and act like it was just the best thing for him to be rubbed and scratched behind his ears. He was purring, so I think he liked it. I was just worried because he was so, vigorous in his rubbing, like he was in a spell or something. He doesn't have fleas, so I don't think it's that. I haven't seen him scratching, but his behavior was weird to me. I know about the glands and marking his scent, but is it normal to be that enthusiastic about it, or does that imply that something is wrong with his skin or something. And also, why would he suddenly stop coming out to eat and use the litter box when he knows where it is, and obviously he was hungry and thirsty, because he ate and drank everything right away when I put it in front of him. I can accomodate if he prefers to have his food given to him under the bed, but I was curious about how vigorous he was when he began rubbing against my hand and everything under the bed. I don't know whether to be ecstastic that he came to me or worried if he has a skin condition or not. Sorry...did I mention that I'm a nursing student. I pay very much attention to detail, so I'm a bit anal about certain things. Okay...I'm done now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, no storms. And he's deaf, so he wouldn't be startled by thunder, anyways. I beginning to wonder if one of my roommates has come in and tried to pet him. You think he may have been frightened?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a meanie sometimes. When PJ & Punky were hiding under my bed, I removed it from the frame & set it on the floor. I created other places to hide...cardboard boxes, cat tress, cat cubes, etc. I had them arranged so they could travel to/from everywhere through their hidey holes.

The rubbing is normal, but I worry about Maddox never coming out.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maddox's Mom

No, no storms. And he's deaf, so he wouldn't be startled by thunder, anyways. I beginning to wonder if one of my roommates has come in and tried to pet him. You think he may have been frightened?
Ah ha! That's it.

I've got 3 deafies, they take longer to adjsut....naturally they have an inability to tell if predators are coming. When my deafies realise it's me & I'm "safe", they go nutso for attention.

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
White cat lover,you would love my Maddox. Here he is:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8417316

I never thought about the fact that he can never really tell if it's me entering the room or not. Duh..
I think one of my roommates may have scared him, b/c she is a bit obsesssed with him "getting to know her."

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy
!! That's just what I needed today.

If your roomie wants to get to know him so much, have her feed him a few times, treats, wet food, whatever. Establish a way of letting him know it's you. Like 2 stomps on the floor.

It often takes them time to adjust to you, to really feel safe. Ophelia Rose still jumps out of her skin half the time when I wake her up from sleeping to pet her.

felisbratus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beautiful boy! Thanks for the post. I've never had a deaf cat but I've definitely had strange ones. mlh

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat, also a beautiful white cat, that was abused in the 5 months before I ended up with her. She will be 8 on July 4th, and has just in the past few weeks stopped hiding all the time except to come sleep with me, which took her about 5 years. It was very frustrating, but lately she just for no apparent reason started acting like a cat, playing and interacting with the other cats. It baffles me. Most cats do not take nearly that long, but do require some patience and their own time. Please keep us posted on that handsome boy's progress.

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I discovered earlier that he has used the bathroom...he peed under my bed....on a t-shirt that I placed under there so that he could get use to my scent! Yup...and he threw up the food that he ate earlier. I wonder if the treats that I gave him messed up his stomach since he ate them before his meal. If he vomits again, he's going to the vet ASAP.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be allergic, or at least intolerant, of the food you gave him, or it just may be that you introduced him to something new all at once, instead of mixing bits with his 'used-to' food more slowly - cats will throw up at the drop of a hat and are very fussy about food (not to suggest they throw up on purpose). And don't give him milk - many cats are intolerant of it - water is fine. Either try new food (diff. brand) but introduce more slowly, or try 1st food again (if he liked it) and see if he's still not keeping it down. Dry food is less likely to cause problems, but is not as satisfying and not as good for kittens. Sometimes half and half canned & dry goes over best. I've also found that 'slices in gravy' can sometimes cause a reaction, but changing brands sometimes helps too.

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay...we just got back from the vet. He does not have a UTI and his blood work came back normal. She put him on Alprazolam, an anti-anxiety drug. She believes that he is just having a hard time adjusting and he is extremely skittish. So, we will see how things work out with him.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had cats two years, so I totally understand newbie questions - I had them all! Did the vet discuss the difference between regurgitating food and vomiting it up? I didn't know there was a difference! Sometimes if kitty eats too fast, they'll regurgitate it up (you can still see the kibble or chunks of food pretty clearly). Cats have a shorter digestive tract, so tossing up dinner isn't quite as traumatic for them. Vomiting (more like us) is, I understand, a more serious symptom.

Anyway, if you think perhaps your baby is simply eating too fast, you can try smaller meals more frequently, raising the level of the disk a bit (you'll see raised food stands at the pet stores), or putting something in the bowl to make them work around it for their food (I've heard of clean rocks, golf balls, etc.) Also, I learned to switch foods gradually - incorporating new into old over a few weeks.

And, if you're into reading up on caring for cats, there are some good books for newbies - Cats for Dummies, Kittens for Dummies, Think like a Cat by Johnson-Bennett, the newsletters published by Tufts and Cornell vet schools, etc. I've found that every library seems to have at least one staff person who's a cat lover - they can usually direct you to the best books in their collections.

And, my old favorite for litter box issues - trying Cat Attract (or Kitten Attract) litter. I've had wonderful success with it.

Your Maddox is a beautiful boy - and he has a great meowmy.

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I didnt' know there was a difference, but it makes perfect sense! I could still see the bulk in the food if it makes sense. So, I guess he regurgitated. Anyways, he is a totally different cat! He comes to me when I signal for him, he sleeps right up under me, he doesn't run when I enter the room if he sees that it's me! He's a new cat! I am just blown away at the transformation! He is so sweet to me now. Of course, he is still skittish when new people peep in my room but he is so loving towards me now. I am just amazed! Thanks everyone for the great advice! And to think that I thought that he would always hate me. If he's this sweet now, I can't even imagine how he will be years from now. I'm blessed to have my Maddox!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous kitty
! Bless you for giving him a good home!

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, Maddox's Mom! I am so happy for you! I have read a few of your posts, and I saw how frustrated you were getting. I am so happy he is adjusting to life with you. I understand completely how difficult it is when you just want to love the cat, but they are hesitant - we took in three feral kittens a few months ago and there were so many times I just wanted to cry because they seemed to hate us. I am glad that Maddox is adjusting (like our kittens - they don't hate us after all!) and he really is a beautiful, beautiful cat!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you didn't give up on Maddox when you were so discouraged. I saw that two of those messages were typed after midnight. I learned some years back that I should never make a significant decision that late at night, since I would almost always err on the side of despair.

Deafness is a very isolating disability, and for cats, who are extremely hearing-oriented, it deprives them of their single best advantage in the world of predators. Don't be surprised if Maddox has setbacks; a sudden move on your part (or someone else's), a startle from a falling dish or book, almost anything will spook him for while.

He almost certainly can "feel" you talking to him if he is next to you, and he may interpret that as "purring," just as his mother did while he was nursing. This will probably be very comforting to him.

Keep us posted; it's great to see success stories.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maddox's Mom

Thanks! I didnt' know there was a difference, but it makes perfect sense! I could still see the bulk in the food if it makes sense. So, I guess he regurgitated. Anyways, he is a totally different cat! He comes to me when I signal for him, he sleeps right up under me, he doesn't run when I enter the room if he sees that it's me! He's a new cat! I am just blown away at the transformation! He is so sweet to me now. Of course, he is still skittish when new people peep in my room but he is so loving towards me now. I am just amazed! Thanks everyone for the great advice! And to think that I thought that he would always hate me. If he's this sweet now, I can't even imagine how he will be years from now. I'm blessed to have my Maddox!
In the petfinder advertisement for Maddox, it says that he has a problem with hairballs. One of the symptoms of hairballs is regurgitating. If he will let you, try combing him. If you're already combing him and it doesn't help, pet stores carry a sort of jelly that will help the hairballs slide out his rear end. It goes for $5-15 a tube. (My vet recommended VedaLax or Laxatone.)

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am happy to hear that things are progressing nicely for you and Maddox. My white cat, Pearl, still sometimes eats too fast and regurgitates, but it does not seem to hurt her. She is at a good weight, and finally started eating just until she is full, not like she is starving and does not know where her next meal is coming from. Bless you for your patience with Maddox.