URI's for all!!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BooBoo, Eek, and HoBoJax all have URI's!! Its pretty bad right now, I have them on Sub-Q Fluids, plus Clavamox! Any other helpfull tips for this???
Eek is very lethargic, and doesn't move hardly at all, BooBoo is in seclusion and I havn't seen him in days except for a couple minutes. He seems to have a hard time purring at all! The poor little things can't stop sneezing, and BooBoo's eye is all runny and watery with a goopy like substance. We have 3rd eye lids on both BooBoo and Eek. Eek right now is really dehydrated and its worrysome. We're suppose to try this stuff for a couple days and see how it goes. I worry that Im going to wake up to one of them dead!! The poor things!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Clavamox is a fairly good, yet weak, anti-biotic. Ask about Baytril. Perhaps even Doxycyclene.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello !

I am taking care of a URI epidemic in one of my feeding station where I live (greek island) and many cats died, very infectious, how come yours got it? aren't they vaccinated?
Anyway, because the vet did not know what it was (still does not know, we do not have many resources here) he took one of the sick cats and did the followig injections, ask your vet about them, in 3 days he was doing much better and started eating. Now he is going into pills for 10 more days.

Injections - for 5 days
Baytril
Bisolvon
Catosal (is from Bayer, you can google it) it has Vitamin B12 and helps metabolism

Pills - Ronaxan - 10 days starting tomorrow.

I was hysterical as many strays died ..... but apparently the virus is over, we have not seen any other victim in 5 days now. I know now for a fact that if you catch it at a very early stage (like the cat the vet took) you can cure them with the right medicine.

Good luck !

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ronit

Hello !

I am taking care of a URI epidemic in one of my feeding station where I live (greek island) and many cats died, very infectious, how come yours got it? aren't they vaccinated?
Anyway, because the vet did not know what it was (still does not know, we do not have many resources here) he took one of the sick cats and did the followig injections, ask your vet about them, in 3 days he was doing much better and started eating. Now he is going into pills for 10 more days.

Injections - for 5 days
Baytril
Bisolvon
Catosal (is from Bayer, you can google it) it has Vitamin B12 and helps metabolism

Pills - Ronaxan - 10 days starting tomorrow.

I was hysterical as many strays died ..... but apparently the virus is over, we have not seen any other victim in 5 days now. I know now for a fact that if you catch it at a very early stage (like the cat the vet took) you can cure them with the right medicine.

Good luck !
URIs are very common ie the common cold of the cat world just cats often cant kick it like a human.... curing depends on the virus

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about adding some L-Lysine to help support thier immune systems. Jordan gets 500 mg a day (well when his bad meowmy remembers) for maintanence and he gets 1000 mg if I think he's comming down with something.

Make sure they are eating. I usually force feed chicken baby food when Jordan has a URI. Sometimes in the beginning he will eat. The problem is cats only eat what the smell and if they are stuffy the can't smell much of anything.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww... poor babys. How long have they been on the antibiotics? Normally you would see some improvement by day 4. As someone else suggested you may need a stronger antibiotic. My male persian just got over one. He was on 3 difference antibiotics and also the injections for a week. Not sure about your kitties, but I think with mine he has been on all these antibiotics so many times he has built up a resistance. I didn't realize they could die from a URI. I asked my vet about that and she said the worse case would be pneumonia. Sending prayers your way

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had that same problem with my Cats. Meeko had one and would not eat or drink and just layed there then she gave it to Coco. Meeko had a Shot for her fever and Clavamox. It took her so long to get better. I hope your Cats feel better. Coco just had another very bad one last Month that set her Asthma off. Coco got Cephalexen for her Uri. The Vet told me to give Meeko Baby Food. Do any of them have Fevers. Meekos was almost 105. Oreo got it but never needed a Vet. Sasha never even got it. Be careful with the Noses. When Coco had it bad once it took the Pigment off her Nose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have personally never heard of a vaccine for a Upper respitory infection... My cats are all vaccinated for what they are suppose to be!!

Eek is now how a high calorie food, which means I have to feed him seperate from the other two and its hard! The other 2 want the food so bad, but since they're rather chubby, they dont need the extra calories!! I just got the medicine for them today, and was really sure Eek wouldn't make it through the day, but he did with the help of some fluids and medicine! He ate quite a bit of his special food, so hopefully that helps. If they dont feel better by tomarrow they go back in, which isn't really affordable but I dont care! When they're sick they need to see the dr!

I got the special line for the Sub Q fluids so I dont have to do it by way of syringe, but its still not easy, because I have to squeeze the bag, while holding the needle in place and not letting Eek move!!

URI can be very dangerous if the kitty gets dehydrated, and with Eek being as small as he is, it wasn't hard! I think he's just little because he was bottle fed from the time he was 3 weeks old instead of mother fed, but he's half the size of Jax! The poor little guy!! My cats dont go outside, so I must of tracked something in on my shoes or something! Darnit! So we're doing the whole "wait and see" right now, hoping for the best! Im pretty sure Jax and BooBoo will be okay, they have tough immune systems, but Eek on the other hand is far worse than the others.

I will pick up some L-lysine tomarrow if they have it at the tractor supply store! I dont think the vet has it, and we only have one pet store here, and its a generic one.

Send some for my babies! They need them...

Amber

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I do too!! It would be unbearable to lose another one!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not even know how Coco got this last one when she is indoor only. I think the Germs were brought in too. Had any of your Cats been to teh Vet before it happened. Meeko brought it in from the Vets when she had Blood Tests after Stormy was Pts. There must have been sick Cats there. How big is Eek?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No my kitties havn't been to the vet since last month!! (until now) Eek is weighing in at a whopping 5lbs! While Jax is weighing in at 9lbs! BooBoo is 14lbs, but he's fully grown!!

BooBoo just had his first round of sub q fluids. He just sat there and didn't move a muscle, the poor guy!

So far Jax hasn't had to have the fluids, but that could change and I know it! BooBoo changed rapidly and just a little while ago the decision was made that he needed a helping hand and would have sub q fluids also.

I just fed them and gave them meds, and fluids to the 2 that needed them so now they are all passed out!!

Hammeyandwaf~ Its so nice to see you!! I hope they get better soon too... its hard when they dont want to do anything! Especially when you can't find them! BooBoo must have one heck of a hiding spot because I looked all over for him yesterday, and I called his name several times and normally he would call back to me or come and he didn't!!

Im going to talk to the vet again tomarrow to see if BooBoo might need the high calorie food to help him get through this or not.... My poor babies! They're miserable and I dont know what to do besides what Im doing already!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yea i know what you mean about them not doing anything and hiding and making you worried. Smokey hid in the closet on me this morning and i called for him and called for him. Geoff called for him and called for him and not a sign of him. so i grab the snack jar and shook it and he came out of the closet then. lol he is feeling just fine and i was freaking out. I know you are freaking. Sending lots of
for their recovery!!!!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf

yea i know what you mean about them not doing anything and hiding and making you worried. Smokey hid in the closet on me this morning and i called for him and called for him. Geoff called for him and called for him and not a sign of him. so i grab the snack jar and shook it and he came out of the closet then. lol he is feeling just fine and i was freaking out. I know you are freaking. Sending lots of
for their recovery!!!!
Oh thanks!! Its so hard when they're not feeling well because they really are just like children! You can't help but to worry! With Eek being so small, I really have to worry about him, and with BooBoo getting up there in age I worry about him too! Jax seems to be one tough kitty though, and I know he will get through this with flying colors! I just wish the other ones could have that same luck! And maybe the same immune system! BooBoo's immune system is pretty good though so I can't complain there too much!

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

I have personally never heard of a vaccine for a Upper respitory infection... My cats are all vaccinated for what they are suppose to be!!
I've heard that if they are vaccinated with a combo like this FVRCP-C then they have very good antibodies and avoid developing any URI. Mine are and never ever even sneezed.

I wish your kitties get well son !

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I do really need a break! Ive been up for some 48 hours at this point! Both my sons started puking last night as I was going to bed, and I was up with them and the cats! Ive never washed the same bedding so much in one night in my entire life. I would be in the bathroom with Jacob comforting him while he puked in the toilet and then I would hear Joseph start throwing up in his crib... turned out to be a long night, and with the vet and dr's I didn't get any sleep today! So Im all over tired, and taking care of everyone but myself as usual!

I just worry because with cats things can go from bad to dead in a matter of minutes! I dont need that to happen!