renting,landlords, and roaches oh my....need to vent

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved to my current house on Dec 1st. When I was moving I was in a hurry, because my old roommate and I were involved in a lawsuit with or former landlord and if we wanted to recieve the money owed to us (about $20,000) then we had 10 days to move. I decided to move without my old roommate because he just loved to sue our landlords and I wanted no part of any more lawsuits.

So I found this house, it wasnt exactly what i was looking for but it was nice, there were some "issues" that were minor at the time, like faucets that wernt attached, the house was dirty, there was still former tenant stuff all over the house and in cabinets. So my landlord gets it cleaned for me, and moved all the tenant stuff though it took him longer then he said it would, like 2 weeks, it was annoying but mildly annoying.

It wasnt till we moved in did my best friend and I discovered how nasty the kitchen was, every counter was sticky, and there was what looked like dirt all around the counters. We soon find out that there is a roach problem. So I call the landlord, he says no problem I have an account with Terminix Ill send them out. Sounds easy enough, but wrong. When they come to spray, you have to move every single thing from the kitchen, everything, then they come and spray, you wait four hours, then you come home and you have to clean every inch very very well so there is no residue, since this was in the kitchen and we eat there, i wanted to make sure we didnt contaminate anything, so the cleaning process takes a while, then when your done with cleaning you have to bring everything back in and put it away, if you have a lot of stuff in your pantrys and such this can be a time consuming process, to get it back to normal.

Ok so It was annoying but I figured this would take care of our problem, wrong agian. The roaches never really left, I'd see a survivor, and then eventually there would be more surivivors. So it was time to call Terminix agian, and repeat the whole process. (This is very annoying, especially when you have 4 dogs, and 1 cat you have to get them out of the house) But we did it agian and sure enough we still have those darn survivors. Lastnight I went in the kitchen for a late night snack and the kitchen counter was covered with little baby roaches I could hardly even see, yuck!

Now im getting really annoyed, I pay a lot of money to rent this house and I shouldnt have to deal with this, and this is just one of many issues im having at this house. Its so frustrating, Termininx will be coming back tomorow at 7am! This time Im letting the stuff sit over night, im going to close the doors to the kitchen so the animals cant get in, but i swear im soooo annoyed, and i cant even eat at home cause the thought of the roaches grosses me out! And we keep everything very clean, especially after first finding out about the roach problem, so its not b/c we are dirty, but the landlord and his family who supposedly lived here before us must have been the most nasty people on the planet!

Im just so frustrated, I want the roach issue to be resolved, Im tired of washing plates and silverware before i use them, cause im scared roaches were crawling on it. Its soooo grosssss! I cant keep anything on the counters unless it is in a zip lock bag, and i have to refrigerate bread (i hate cold bread) its annoying!

Anyone else ever have this problem? Is there anything else i can do to make sure those suckers die and dont come back? I cant bring myself to eat in the kitchen, even having my morning coffee makes my stomach quesy thinking about it.

i just want to scream!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they only spraying the kitchen?
If that's the case, that won't work. The poison will only make them run elsewhere in the house, so you'll always have survivors.

Your best bet to getting rid of them is for you and your pets to all leave the house overnight and have everything sprayed, or even use the fumigators (bug bombs) that pixietina suggested.

Is there any chance that the roaches could be coming from next door? Often when people spray repeatedly but nothing works it's because a house next door is infested too.

Also know, if or when you move you have a very high chance of taking roaches with you.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Are they only spraying the kitchen?
If that's the case, that won't work. The poison will only make them run elsewhere in the house, so you'll always have survivors.

Your best bet to getting rid of them is for you and your pets to all leave the house overnight and have everything sprayed, or even use the fumigators (bug bombs) that pixietina suggested.

Is there any chance that the roaches could be coming from next door? Often when people spray repeatedly but nothing works it's because a house next door is infested too.

Also know, if or when you move you have a very high chance of taking roaches with you.
That was my thought exactly. I once lived in an apartment building that had a roach problem. The fools would spray one side of the building at a time. The roaches would hide out in the unsprayed part until it was safe to move back over.

You also have to be careful that when you take stuff out of the house you aren't carrying them out with you and then bringing them back in with your stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice guys. After talking to my mom, we have decided that Ill be moving once more, not just because of the roaches but also because of everything else that I hate about this house.

And it was so weird cause I think I actually found a house today and I just looked at it on a whim, wasnt really planning on looking just yet, but this possible new house and a gigantic yard for the dogs and a pool!!!! Im so excited, Im taking my mom on Tuesday to see it, keep your fingers crossed for me!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to spray once a week when the house is infested that badly, not just when you see another one. When my parents moved into their new home they found roaches. The exterminator came every Monday, sprayed the entire house. Meanwhile, Mom put EVERYTHING in plastic bags or tubs. The roaches eventually were gone...I don't know how long it took. I was 3 at the time.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The roaches alone would be enough for me to move.

I am concerned you are going to take some with you when you move. They like things like toasters. Also, you are giving them a constant water source with your pet water bowls.

I found this for you
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1003.html
http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-kill-cockroaches

They like boxes apparently. You need to put all food in secure bins or plastic baggies. Put appliances or basically anything in plastic baggies, freeze them to kill any hitchhikers. Sprinkle the DA all around your home and in your boxes. If possible, freeze your boxes. Or move boxes to like the garage for awhile, away from the kitchen or home and also sprinkle DA all around them and let off some foggers and set traps. How horrible! I am really sorry you have to deal with this! Hope it works out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last week I came down with some kind of stomach bug, we never figured out what it was or how I got it, it was either gastrontitis (sp?) or food poisoning.

So I just did some research online about roaches and apparently they can cause either of these two illnesses. Now Im wondering if thats why I got sick.

My roommate eats the same food I do and she never got sick, and I wasnt throwing up but the "other" one, i lost 4 pounds in 24 hours. Weird thing about it was I was only sick in the morning and at night, during the day I felt better, so much better that the first day i thought i was better and i ate normal food and smoked, i felt that good, then late night I got sick and I repeated the same pattern for 3 more days (the other days I didnt eat normal food, i ate crackers,sprite,and such)

So I wonder if the roaches are the culprit now? hmmm