Oscar got his foot trapped in the door =(

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I accidentally shut the door on Oscar, he was trying to slink in and I didn't notice. He yelped terribly and shot out into the garden, hiding under a car and refusing to come out. He eventually came out, limping slightly on his hind quarter. I gave him a hug, had a bit of a poke to see if it was sore, but he didn't flinch. That was yesterday afternoon. He's been in all night, and I've let him out this morning to 'use the facilities', he's not limping at all. I've given him a bit of a squeeze on the areas the door caught him, and they're not sensitive - he's not upset or anything. So do you think he's OK? He's eating OK, he's walking fine and he's being his normal hyper self. Do you think he's alright? I feel terrible, it was a horrible accident and my boyfriend screamed at me for it, made me feel even worse! I didn't do it on purpose

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say if it's not swollen and he is walking fine, he is fine. My Jordan has done things like get his foot caught in the end of the bed while jumping off the bed. He limped around on it for about 20 mins and then was fine. Just keep an eye and if you notice swelling or he starts limping again then take him to the vet.

Don't feel too bad. It was an accident, things like this happen. He is OK, and has probably forgotten all about it. I can't count the number of times I've stepped on Isaac. I always feel horrible, but accidents happen.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A similar thing happened to Riley last week. He is fine though, just a bruise. The vet said as long as he is using it, walking, jumping and not limping or swollen not to worry about it.

Accidents do happen, so try not to beat yourself up about it. Riley got extra special treats and attention

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same thing happened to Sonic when he was little, his paw was barely swollen the next day but I took him to the vet anyway - only to be told that it was either bruised or broken, and if it were broken the treatment would be the same (anti-inflammatories) as the toe bones are too small and difficult to set using a cast or pins. As it turned out he was right as rain within a couple of days.

If it's not visibly swollen, he's not limping, and he doesn't react badly when you touch it, I would say he's fine

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
milo did this in the fridge door. i went to close it and unknown to me he had put his paw through the gap. first i knew was this dreadful scream. he was holding it up initially but was fine a little while later. i felt terrible! he does keep away from the fridge now.

sounds like oscar is fine too so nothing to worry about.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

milo did this in the fridge door. i went to close it and unknown to me he had put his paw through the gap. first i knew was this dreadful scream. he was holding it up initially but was fine a little while later. i felt terrible! he does keep away from the fridge now.

sounds like oscar is fine too so nothing to worry about.
You know this reminded me that I did that to Jordan once. I had the door open & he stuck his paw through the gap on the other side. I went to close the door & he too screamed like crazy. He wouldn't walk on it at first too, but then was fine.