Leaving the cat home alone :)

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everything I have read about Tonkinese cats says that if you are "going to be gone for long periods of time" you should get a second cat for them to play with, or they will get "destructive." My question is - what exactly constitutes long periods of time? A normal workday? 2 cats is not an option that I can handle right now. Although I'm 23, I live with my mother who in all other ways is amazing. She, however, is a toughy when it comes to animals. I FINALLY convinced her to let me have a cat, and I am planning to get a Tonkinese. BUT she is terrified that her furniture is going to be ruined. What to do?? I was going to get the kitty in June, so I will have lots of time this summer to spend with her (I am a teacher.) But when school starts, is she going to destroy the house while I'm way 7.5 hours?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you will be okay. Most cats don't destroy things unless there are other issues. From what I have learned these cats are ok in smaller spaces and are easy going. Siamese are the ones that are considered higher strung.
If you do your research, provide the cat with a clean litterbox, some toys, a window, some scratching options, good food and love you will be fine. You will have a summer to instill good behavior and get to know what your cat likes. My cats love companionship but Mary was fine being an only cat.
You may find that your mother falls in love and you can get another down the road. Just show her how responsible you are.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ive left them home alone overnite (good god i worried the entiretime) i think they just slept the whole time. i left them an extra litter box, water, and dry food. nothing seemed destroyed or anything. they werent maimed. i think i took it harder than they did. i just knew the place was going to burn down or something while i was gone

i think im just an overprotective meowmy, tho. i even worry nonstop while im at school. if they could answer the the phone, id call then LOL

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say that if you got a kitten then there might be occasions of an accident or some scratches or scrapes. Ours are the scratches on our leather couch! I would definately suggest a scratch post. Is your mum happy about you getting a cat?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep the cat in your room while you are gone if you live with your mother and don't know how the kitten will be. Most kittens are crazy
And I have heard two kittens are better than one. Now to convince your mom!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is someone going to be home at all during the day? If not, you might think about adopting an older kitten or young cat. Kittens under 6-7 months old will do better with a person at home or other animals (dog or cat).

As far as clawing you can learn to trim nails and do this every week (check and clip as necessary). If you mom is concerned about the furniture, look into getting the nail caps Soft Paws which will help a lot

Are you adopting your Tonk from a good breeder that you've checked out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is mom happy that I'm getting a cat? Happy would be an overstatement. I would say she is resigned. I have lost 50 lbs since January 1st, and we had a deal!

I am getting her from a great breeder who is not too far away (a couple of hours). She was recommended to me by our vet, and she has answered all of the questions I'm supposed to ask - passing with flying colors.

I'm afraid that keeping her in my room will stress her out. Is that really a good idea? I wouldn't mind at all, I just don't want to make her manic or destructive because her space is limited.

About the soft paws - i am already there! The vet says they put them on, so I don't have to worry about user error!

Thanks for all of the replies.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SSmith0385

I'm afraid that keeping her in my room will stress her out. Is that really a good idea? I wouldn't mind at all, I just don't want to make her manic or destructive because her space is limited.
Cats sleep a lot. But if you are worried then don't worry about confining to one room while you are gone.

One another note get a lot of cat toys, get one really big cat tree too, it helps a lot. Pick up this toy called Da Bird, cats love it. And a laser light is sure to be a hit. Be sure to play interactive games like wand and laser light at least an hour per day with kitty kitty, helps with the energy levels. Adopting two kittens at one time is the way to go I have heard from many people. You might want to consider it since kittens have so much energy and can be a handful, they are better behaved with a best friend.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that cats vary a great deal from individual to individual. It's really impossible to tell what a cat's personality will be from its breed. You can talk to the breeder and ask for a cat that's on the quieter, calmer end of the spectrum, if that's what you're looking for... but you still won't know what the quirks and behaviors will be until the cat has lived with you for a while. They also tend to a adapt a great deal to the owners' home and lifestyle.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

I think you will be okay. Most cats don't destroy things unless there are other issues. From what I have learned these cats are ok in smaller spaces and are easy going. Siamese are the ones that are considered higher strung.
If you do your research, provide the cat with a clean litterbox, some toys, a window, some scratching options, good food and love you will be fine. You will have a summer to instill good behavior and get to know what your cat likes. My cats love companionship but Mary was fine being an only cat.
You may find that your mother falls in love and you can get another down the road. Just show her how responsible you are.
We have 2 Siamese and neither one has ever been destructive. I've had a Siamese before these 2 and also a Siamese mix and none have ever destroyed things. I do have a neighbour that told her children that Siamese cats will destroy your house.
Just another Siamese bad rep. I did, however, have a barn cat that destroyed a loveseat.

Originally Posted by emmylou

Keep in mind that cats vary a great deal from individual to individual. It's really impossible to tell what a cat's personality will be from its breed. You can talk to the breeder and ask for a cat that's on the quieter, calmer end of the spectrum, if that's what you're looking for... but you still won't know what the quirks and behaviors will be until the cat has lived with you for a while. They also tend to a adapt a great deal to the owners' home and lifestyle.
Emmylou is right - every cat is an individual. Gentle, patient and loving guidance and discipline will go a long way to having a cat that behaves IMO. Kittens will often play rough so it's important to teach them that claws and teeth hurt humans. If kitty bites, blow in his face and say OW loudly. Also don't pull away when (if) kitty bites or grabs your hands or legs with his claws. Stop immediately and say NO loudly. If you move your hands or legs they think you are playing and will continue the bad behaviour. Also don't play with your kitty with your bare hands so they don't think your hands are toys.

Make sure you have a scratching post or board and if kitty starts to scratch at any furniture, remove him/her to the post/board and holding his paws, scratch at the post so it gets the idea that is the place to scratch. Also touch and play with kitties feet to get them used to having their paws handled so that you can clip their claws. We did this with our kitties and clipping their claws is not an issue at all - in fact I don't even have to hold Bijou to clip his claws, I can do it while he's just laying on the rug or the table. He was a terrible little grabber and biter when he was a kitten so I had my share of scratches before he was taught some manners but he's awesome now. Gentle, laid-back and extremely lovable. In fact, both of them are very, very gentle.