Aren't Geese Supposed to Sleep?!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a high rise over looking a river. When I first moved here back in 1996 the area of the river around my building was a popular spot for nesting ducks.

A few years ago a flock of Canada Geese decided they wanted it and the result was a turf war between the Mallard Ducks and the Canada Geese, with the Geese winning.

Gone are the soft "quack quack" of the ducks.

Every year I forget how noisey geese are. It's 2am and I swear they are either having a party or lover spats!!
Either way who can sleep with all that racket!

*goes off to the arcade!*

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy!! They kept you up that late!?! Geesh Linda, you must be so annoyed!

My sister used to yell at birds to shutup out her window when she was a teenager

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight A few years ago I was given the task at taking care of a duck and that little thing only slept for a minute or two at a time....best of luck!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Know the feeling, I have a flock of 14 down in the bay behind my house and yes they do figure if they are awake you should be to..I swear even the cats give me "are they ever going to shut up Mom"look.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH yeah, Canada Geese are LOUD! And this is mating season so all the birds are extra noisy. We've got seagulls, too, and they are the size of large chickens, and lots of crows; it's difficult to tune it out!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI Geese are far better watch dogs then a dog is! Seriously, they say nothing sneaks past a goose without it knowing and sounding the alarm. I've heard many people on a farm have "watch geese" rather then the dog sleeping in the barn

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

OH yeah, Canada Geese are LOUD! And this is mating season so all the birds are extra noisy.
Oh boy, are they ever noisy!
And I second the guard-geese idea. You cannot even think about sneaking past a goose without it honking out a warning to the entire neighbourhood!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's funny, I was trying to sleep last night (1am), and there were flocks of geese going overhead, and I was thinking too that they should be sleeping! Maybe last night was a special goose holiday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

It's funny, I was trying to sleep last night (1am), and there were flocks of geese going overhead, and I was thinking too that they should be sleeping! Maybe last night was a special goose holiday.
Yeah, well if they keep it up tonight I'll be having a goose dinner on Saturday!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What cracks me up is when I see them standing on top of people's houses just honking away. Talk about annoying!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, Linda, but everytime I read this thread title I can't help but laugh!

is there any way you play some "white noise" at night? like waves crashing or something? might help to block it out

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! They're back!

Usually they don't stop here on their way South, but for some reason they did this year. I'm hoping now that it's not nesting season that they will at least go to sleep and wake up early to be on their way!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll trade ya those piddling few Canadas for 100,000+ snow geese, at least Candas are edible, not made out of fatty rubber, and they are a LOT quieter as they honk not shriek. You know you have a goose problem when you look out your window and see a quarter section of land swarming with those blasted white geese. The bad news?? This is only the first wave of them, a few hundred thousand down, and roughly 2 million to go.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

I'll trade ya those piddling few Canadas for 100,000+ snow geese, at least Candas are edible, not made out of fatty rubber, and they are a LOT quieter as they honk not shriek. You know you have a goose problem when you look out your window and see a quarter section of land swarming with those blasted white geese. The bad news?? This is only the first wave of them, a few hundred thousand down, and roughly 2 million to go.
I don't feel so badly now!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad I cheered you up. For the record, I don't think these blasted things sleep either - they shriek all night long, so I have a noisy fan running at night to mask the racket.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

I'll call your Canadian geese, check your snow geese, and raise you a bunch of drunk idiots every night in a bar directly below you!
Yeah, geese can honk, and crickets can chirp, wolves can howl, cicadas can..... well do what they do, but I would gladly win this pot for a hand full of drunk idiots and music you have no choice but to listen to every night till 3-4am, plus the weekend major idiots screaming...not to mention the occasional gun shots or M-80's.....
Ahhhh yes, the NYC charm.....Let the geese you hear be soothing to your ears

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I'll call your Canadian geese, check your snow geese, and raise you a bunch of drunk idiots every night in a bar directly below you!
I think I'll pass on that!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, geese can honk, and crickets can chirp, wolves can howl, cicadas can..... well do what they do, but I would gladly win this pot for a hand full of drunk idiots and music you have no choice but to listen to every night till 3-4am, plus the weekend major idiots screaming...not to mention the occasional gun shots or M-80's.....
Ahhhh yes, the NYC charm.....Let the geese you hear be soothing to your ears
I fold. you win!!!ROFL

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...drunk idiots and music you have no choice but to listen to every night till 3-4am, plus the weekend major idiots screaming...not to mention the occasional gun shots or M-80's.....
Ahhhh yes, the NYC charm.....
Okay... with all due respect to Frank, I no longer "want to wake up in the city that doesn't sleep!"