What a day....

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it that doing the right thing almost never feels right?

At work, there is one lift truck driver who is very aggressive. He doesn't honk at the intersections and he doesn't slow down for pedestrians. I said something to the supervisor yesterday, because this guy was getting pretty bad and I am not the only one who has noticed. Well, today he pretty near ran me over, so I said something to the supervisor who insisted on filing a "near miss" report. I really felt crummy about having to do that, but the guy is dangerous. There wasn't any disciplinary action taken against him, but he knows I talked to the supervisor about it and now he is being really childish and intimidating. Everytime I set foot outside of the lab, as soon as he sees me, he lays on the horn and doesn't quit until I am out of sight. I feel horrible about the whole situation, but what was I supposed to do? He nearly got me and didn't even slow down...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about that -you did the right thing if he did this to you who there might be more people who feel the same!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not the only one who feels that this guy is dangerous, but out of the whole plant, only one or two people have ever said anything.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poeple are chicken... b/c they're worried this guy will do to them what he is doing to you,, acting like the report/behavior/any reprimand is your fault, instead of taking responsibility for acting like he should... and behaving as he should in that work environment. Nothing will happen until he hits someone or has a near-miss with an "important person."

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd start carrying around an air horn and start blowing it everytime he starts honking his horn
you were right to report him, better now than when he actually does hurt someone

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely did the right thing. Playing around on a lift truck like that is extremely dangerous! Ugh, why are people so childish? And it's horrible they didn't take any type of action against him. Are they waiting for him to hurt someone or himself?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I'd start carrying around an air horn and start blowing it everytime he starts honking his horn
you were right to report him, better now than when he actually does hurt someone
He's asking for a fight!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Actually, I'd carry it with me... and whenever he's walking around... I'd walk up to him, behind him, etc... and then blast the air horn. Esp. if he's standing in your way...

But then I am a little devil sometimes...

Don't let him bully you... he's not adhering to the rules of conduct for driving that thing... he really should get his lift driving privileges suspended... I know that's his job, but if he's not doing his job properly.....

My two cents here...

A.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Actually, I'd carry it with me... and whenever he's walking around... I'd walk up to him, behind him, etc... and then blast the air horn. Esp. if he's standing in your way...

Don't let him bully you... he's not adhering to the rules of conduct for driving that thing... he really should get his lift driving privileges suspended... I know that's his job, but if he's not doing his job properly.....

My two cents here...

A.
You're absolutely right. He's not following manufacturing plant or warehouse floor etiquette! And probably the house rules.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

You're absolutely right. He's not following manufacturing plant or warehouse floor etiquette! And probably the house rules.
During my college days (and summer in between semesters), I worked many, many temp jobs, and one or two were in warehouses... any one of us could do the general work, but if you were long term like most of us, you could opt to take the training and certification to operate the forklift and pallet trucks... I never bothered, but when they gave us the option, they stressed how vital safety was... that stuck in my mind with reading this thread. It's not just you walking around... you're operating a heavy piece of machinery around 'pedestrians' i.e. your co-workers. You have to respect the machinery and the people around you. If you can't then maybe you need to find other work.

I shudder to think: this guy is probably reckless while driving as well...

A.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

My two cents here...

A.
The thought had crossed my mind
However, I am trying to be professional and take the high road. I did quietly wish a very bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome on his horn hand

Seriously though, even though his childish behavior really bothers me, I have taken a different view: I smile at him and laugh at how silly he is being.