Need fashion help!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I think I might meet Josh's peeps when I go to Ottawa in May..and that means going to his church.

I bought a really cute black and white skirt but have NO IDEA what shirt to wear with it. Should I just wear a black top or a white one? And do I have to get a white spring jacket?? I have NO jacket that would match that...geesh

Also...shoes? I have white small heeled sandals...or closed in black pumps? I am thinking the sandals because Spring will be in full swing?

I have no idea, and am fashionally challenged..please help!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wear the white top, the white shoes, and forget the jacket.

Disclaimer***I am a welder and am not really blessed with any fashion sense whatever.

dezkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol, wow. I didnt know people could be blessed with fashion sense. Have you looked at our celebrites? They were not "blessed" with it, my golly haha. Some of them look like they belong on a street corner not a walk way... anyways depending on how much "white" your skirt has in it. But I would say white If its around spring time. I wouldnt go in all white, you'll look like your trying to be the sun. So black shoes white top, white shoes black top. If its spring time, I wouldnt really consider a jacket. I wasnt blessed, but I'm young :p. Do I get any points for that?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I don't think you're supposed to wear white shoes before Memorial Day, LOL!
That old rule of thumb has kind of slacked in recent years (not that I'm a huge fashion buff, but I've seen that stated in different magazines)... I'd say white shoes cuz black pumps can seems a little nighttime/formal... and I'd say the same - depending on how much white is in the skirt, on what shirt to wear: lots of white in the skirt, go with a black shirt; but if it's like a black skirt with a white pattern, you can wear a white shirt... I agree you can skip the jacket, unless people get REALLY dressy at his church

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I don't think you're supposed to wear white shoes before Memorial Day, LOL!
Hahaha, yeah - no white shoes for you, that would be SO socially unacceptable

I don't even remember the last time I wore a skirt, so I'm of no use. I think it's cute how nervous you are though

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think a white blouse would be fine. Black might seem funereal, you know? Just make sure the blouse is not sleeveless which may not be appropriate in stricter churches, or if his mother is strict/religious.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you could post a picture of the skirt, that would help.

However, going sight unseen, I'd opt for the black top and black shoes. Never wear white shoes with a black skirt is if the skirt has white in it. Oh, and wear a nice pair of neutral coloured stockings/nylons.

Remember, you are going to meet his friends and family. They are wanting to meet you, not your clothing
So stop stressing about your wardrobe

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it have to be black or white? Could it be a colored top???? Hard to say without seeing the skirt, but just wonder. Pink or blue blouse with a springy pair of sandals. Or :gasp: red even?

Of course... I am a mother of 5 - I might not be fashionably-"in" anymore

at least not if you ask my daughters!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
If you can post a pic of the skirt, we might all be able to come to a consensus! hahaha

I was kind of thinking a colored top or black/white top and colored shoes too... of course not like neon pink, but depending on the skirt, color could work

Also would probably help to know kind of how strict his church/family is... I know the church I used to attend was quite casual (I would get dressy though because I sang on the worship team, so I was on stage)...so coming on Sunday in jeans and a nice top was just fine - the guys often threw on hoodies and jeans too... but I know my ex's catholic church was quite strict and everyone got real dressy

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do a cute hot pink top and black leather closed toed heels with it. The colors in the skirt will make the top pop and look cute
Can we get a pic of what the skirt looks like? Make sure your skirt isn't too short - i'd make sure it's at least tea length for church and keep your top maybe a cute wrap top (not too low of a v-neck) and nothing sleeveless. (you may want to pair it with a good black sweater.)

Also do you have a cute chunky black necklace you can wear with it?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOu know I would say wear the black and white skirt, and a plain coloured top. Too much black and white will make you look like TV interference!! try something blue, or red, or green. Yellow with B&W is too much. Either the back or white coat/shoes would work. Just not the black or white top. But it does have to be a plain flat colour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the skirt...It hits at the knees. Keep in mind, I don't have to dress right up for this church..I just wanted to look nice when I meet everyone there. He says some people where jeans..but Josh dresses up so I wanted to match him.

I tried on a nice purple top with it and to me a coloured top looks totally weird
Unless, maybe a coloured top and a nice black or white cardigan over?

Also, can I not wear bare legs in the Springtime? Stockings seem weird when its 20 degrees

(tried to resize the pic a number of times...something wrong with PB
)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmm i think a white vest top with a nice v necked cardigan and black shoes.

Make sure you wear some jewellry around your neck as well if you wear a vest, something simple though.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"I tried on a nice purple top with it and to me a colored top looks totally weird Unless, maybe a colored top and a nice black or white cardigan over?"

I like the idea that you mentioned above. A bright pink blouse w/the black cardigan would look great. Also w/black shoes. If you have a pink bag that would look cute, too!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is before May 24, do not wear white shoes or open-toed shoes (I'm a traditionalist and his mom may be too). In fact, when I went to modelling school, the rule was that you would not wear a shoe that was lighter in colour than the hem of your skirt/dress.

Unless you have a fabulous tan on your legs, I would also recommend stockings/pantyhose. I personally think you can have on a $500 suit but if you are bare-legged and have white or splotchy legs, it spoils the whole look. It looks incomplete.

We just had our snow melt last week and I saw a girl with open-toed shoes. That's really pushing it IMO.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get a white top for church and a sleeveless sexy black one to wear in the evening. A black jacket would be great with either. Since you will be traveling, you want to be able to extend your wardrobe without taking up too much space. Bright colored bangles, nail polish, and lipstick would look pretty with it too.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If it is before May 24, do not wear white shoes or open-toed shoes (I'm a traditionalist and his mom may be too). In fact, when I went to modelling school, the rule was that you would not wear a shoe that was lighter in colour than the hem of your skirt/dress.

Unless you have a fabulous tan on your legs, I would also recommend stockings/pantyhose. I personally think you can have on a $500 suit but if you are bare-legged and have white or splotchy legs, it spoils the whole look. It looks incomplete.

We just had our snow melt last week and I saw a girl with open-toed shoes. That's really pushing it IMO.
I agree with you. If you don't like stockings/pantyhose, a self-tanner can work very well. Loreal cream is my favorite. Shhhhh.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the colours of spring are Red, lila, vanilla yellow, Hot pink and Aqua. All of those colours would suit you.

When i looked at the skirt i thought of a really nice red shirt, and just a average black jacket. Make sure its a Hot red shirt though.

Alternatively, you could wear singlet tops with a cartigan over it, that would also look cute.

I agree with the legs, unless you go to the solarium i guess you also have pasty legs, buy stockings or tights with a pattern that you like in gray black.

Oh i wish i could be there and do the combinations!