Tiffin gets neutered tomorrow!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor little 11 months old boy, who thinks he is a great big stallion, is spending tonight in the clinic prior to being gelded tomorrow. I felt so guilty, as I got him into the horse box with bribes and pushing, knowing what was waiting for him at the other end. He has been so funny the last few weeks as his adult hormones kicked in, flirting with the large horses who live next door and trying to play all sorts of mounting games with his sister Tartine. He is far too small to achieve anything but he has sure been trying! So it is time. I let mum Maisie go to the clinic with him, so he is not alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A horse can be gelded as soon as his testicles have descended, which can vary with breed and individual rates of growth. Like with cats, it is better done before real stallion behaviour sets in, as they may never lose those behaviour patterns. Having said that, some breeds, like Lipizzaners used for exhibition work, are often not gelded till they are eight years old, so that they develop the strong muscles necessary as well as the very distinct personality which helps them in the show ring with their displays. But they are handled and trained by experts in the field.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because the clinic found that one of his testicles hadn't fully descended, poor little Tiffin had to have a bigger operation than at first arranged. But all went well and after three nights in the equine clinic he and mum Maisie came home this morning. Tartine went wild with joy - she has been so lonely and off her food since they have been gone. He has to be in a box for five days and is on antibiotics for a week. But they are obviously glad to be back and settled in well.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He hasn't realised he's been neutered yet - he was jumping up on Tartine this afternoon!

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

He hasn't realised he's been neutered yet - he was jumping up on Tartine this afternoon!
Glad to hear he's home, and apparently doing well!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you give a horse antibotics????? And probably like a dog or cat - may take a few months to get those hormones out of his system

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like all antibiotics, they can come in pill, liquid or powder form. His are powder and I use a large feeding syringe. I mix the powder with a spoon of molasses (all horses love the flavour) and some warm water, then scoop it up into the syringe and into the side of his mouth gently, the same as for a cat. Easy peasy. What he doesn't like is the cold water I have to spray night and morning onto his tender bits. Then I get some rearing and neighing!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The weather is supposed to be good tomorrow (it has been terrible) so I will take some new pix - I assume you do not mean of the relevant bits!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

The weather is supposed to be good tomorrow (it has been terrible) so I will take some new pix - I assume you do not mean of the relevant bits!
Heck, why not?

Poor Tiffen, I think I wouldn't like cold water on my bits, either.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww poor baby give him a kis on the fore head for me

i loved kissing the horses at the stable when i rode..............

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad he's home and all went well, if a little more complicated than expected. And I agree with Jan - I wouldn't like cold water there either!
He's justified in neighing and rearing!