Breeders….PLEASE HELP ME

mom2five

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: THe breeder is wonderful!!! She is willing to help me if it is in fact genetic!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most breeders will guarantee health up to about a year for genetic problems. Unfortunately I'll willing to bet your kitty's heart problems are not covered at this point in time. What exactly does your contact say regarding this?

I had one of my rexes show up with heart problems several years (like 4-5) after the owner had her. She tried to get me to pay for medical expenses. I only guaranteed the cat's health/heart for a year. You cannot expect a breeder to pay for medical expenses for the life of the cat. Even if the parent's are free from heart problems, doesn't mean your cat is guaranteed no problems during its life. Same holds for cancer, heart, liver, or any other problems.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom2Five

I am completely devastated. I purchased a purebred kitten from a breeder 2.5 years ago (he was 13weeks at the time). We were at the vet last week and she discovered a heart murmur, she did some blood work and then referred him to get an ultrasound on his heart. Anyways he had his ultrasound yesterday and they have concluded that he has a severe case of heart disease HCM. The breeder has indicated to me that both parents screened negative for HCM….but this is a genetic disease. I have sent off an email explaining the situation but have not heard back yet. We did sign a health guarantee but am not sure if it applies if he is older? Can anyone tell me what my options are, if any?
I am not a breeder of cats. That cat is very young, I am sorry for the news.

Did you see the HCM scans? Or did the breeder just tell you they were negative? How often did they do scans? Do they show?

Are you showing? If you bought this cat for show/breeding, a cat with a hereditary heart issue should not be bred and would not fulfill what you bought the cat for, even if you bought the kitty for a pet, having such a fatal heart condition so young is not okay IMO.

This information is important to get out at any rate, since it can run in lines, it is important you notify the breeder and notify any others with those lines if you can, hopefully the breeder will. Depending upon the contract the breeder either does or doesn't have to care, but hopefully they do care and will give you another kitten (if you would even want one from that program) or try to help you deal with your grief at least.

That is awfully young when you consider you thought you were buying a purebred kitten to be sure they were healthy and happy for the next 20 or so years. I am sure you have done your part, keeping kitty inside, vet checks, feeding good food, pampering kitty, and those types of things.

I don't know what you can do, at this point, it depends on your relationship with the breeder, how responsible the breeder feels about the kittens they produce and they family they sell to, and your contract matters too. I would pay particular attention to the heart scans they did on the parents. Sure, breeders can't be held responsible for the entire life of the cat, but your cat is still so young and has a fatal heart condition, I would hope that your breeder doesn't just write you off since it is over X amount of months and not their problem anymore

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2five

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spent $1200 on this cat and would expect him to live longer then 2.5 years KWIM. He is a sphynx. I just go off the phone with the vet and she wants him started on meds ASAP with hopes that it will prolong him life somewhat (no # givin, hopefully more then a few months) But from the ultrasound report that this is a really bad case. The guarentee say that if he dies of a congenital disease he will be replaced with another kitten...upon autopsy. bUt like most things Im sure there is a gray area that says it possible for him to have developed it.

He is my pet, no I don't show him. I'm just sooo torn up over this

Thanks for listening!!!!

mom2five

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BTW...Yes, this cat is treated better then my husband. He is a indoor cat and fed the best quality food. and usually cuddles up with this other sphynx buddy.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be unusual for a health guarantee to not have a time limit on it. Most are a year or less. You'll have to wait and see what the breeder say.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder but...

IMHO the breeder should not have to replace this kitten after 2.5 years. Heart disease is terrible but is most often not an immediate death sentence. My Persian was diagnosed with heart disease at age 1.5yrs and did not develop into heart failure till he was 9yrs and he still went on to live to 10.5yrs, 18months after his heart failure diagnosis and 9 yrs after his very first heart disease diagnosis.

Also if I am not mistaken HCM is not always genetic.

mom2five

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said this is the absolute worst case she has ever seen….and medical attention in immanent. It has advanced extremely rapidly (1.5 year was his last visit), and his prognosis is poor. This guy will not make it 10.5 years unfortunately. With him being this young and it being this severe, they assume it is genetic. It would be a different story if he was a senior.

Originally Posted by kitytize

I am not a breeder but...

IMHO the breeder should not have to replace this kitten after 2.5 years. Heart disease is terrible but is most often not an immediate death sentence. My Persian was diagnosed with heart disease at age 1.5yrs and did not develop into heart failure till he was 9yrs and he still went on to live to 10.5yrs, 18months after his heart failure diagnosis and 9 yrs after his very first heart disease diagnosis.

Also if I am not mistaken HCM is not always genetic.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not all HCM is genetic. And at 2.5 years the breeder is not responsible. I am sorry this has happened for you. But sadly it is a risk we all take with any animals. You can test an make sure and all of that But things do still happen.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the only chance you have (and it would be a gamble), is that if it is in your contract that both parents were negative for HCM and you took them to civil court based on a false statement. But then the judge could give you your money back but require you to relinquish the cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not expect the breeder to pay for medical expenses, but there is a chance you could get another kitten from them. If you choose not to take another kitten, then you are out your expenses.

Is it the same or a different breeder (from your 1st sphynx)?

mom2five

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She got back to me, and if it turns out it is genetic she will offer me a kitten. The parents are no longer breeding. Bless her heart, as much as I am torn up over this I am releived the is willing to help me!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news!
Kudos to the breeder for taking responsibility for the kittens they produce, even almost 3 years after the placement in another home. That is a good breeder.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about such heartbreaking news.

For the sake of your cat, don't just assume it's genetic HCM (even though it could be even if the parents have been scanned normal). HCM can develop as a secondary disease due to other health problems so any cat with the diagnosis HCM should be thoroughly tested. I don't know about all diseases that in themselves can cause HCM but thyroid problem is one health problem that can cause HCM and if the thyroid problem is cured, the HCM development will slow down.