My cat is deaf and it had kittens help

zelpher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it cant hear them meow she keeps laying on them she had 4 so far i camhome and 3 were dead 1 is still alive i dont want it to die but she keeps laying on it and i think she smothered the others. she just gave birth while i was out no more then a few hours old. what should i do i am lost she trust me very much she lets me touch her and kitten it is drinking but she keeps rolling over on it. not sure if she is going to have more. just looking for any kind of help

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any good advice for you, but you should really call your vet right away and explain what is going on and see what their advice is. They should be able to help you over the phone. If she won't care for them or they are in danger from being squashed you might need to take over for her.

And welcome to TCS! I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zelpher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is caring for them she just cant hear them meow when she starts to squish them i am wondering if i can take the kitten away and had raise it

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree. Cats rely on hearing to keep from squishing their babies. Your kitten might need to be bottle raised. I don't know what to say though or how to help! Maybe someone more experienced with this will come and help.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to say its probably in the kittens best intrest to be taken from the mother, its sad. but if the mother cant hear it when shes squishing it, then you need to intervein. There is tons of great info on this site about bottle raising a kitten. but until you decide what to do, keep a VERY close eye to make sure she doesnt smother this one too. Im sorry that you lost the other three.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could only let it nurse while you are watching and maybe supplement with bottle feedings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zelpher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your help everyone she seems to know now i think that she is laying on them i watch hear push teh kitten away from her when she moves, with her paw i guess to move it out of the way. i guess i'll just keep watching i want this kitten so bad it is pure black right now the others had stripes like her and her name is lucky cause she was a stray. my other cat is pure smoke gray and her name is gracie

goldentails87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zelpher

it cant hear them meow she keeps laying on them she had 4 so far i camhome and 3 were dead 1 is still alive i dont want it to die but she keeps laying on it and i think she smothered the others. she just gave birth while i was out no more then a few hours old. what should i do i am lost she trust me very much she lets me touch her and kitten it is drinking but she keeps rolling over on it. not sure if she is going to have more. just looking for any kind of help
You need to take the kitten from the mother. You will need to supervise all feedings and other interaction between the two. At 5 weeks when the kitten it weaned, SPAY the mother. At 8 weeks, or 2 lbs (if the kitten is female) spay her too. If the kitten is male you have to wait untill you can grope him. Good luck

Jessie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd take the kitten away and bottle feed it. Call your vet to find out how often and what to feed. And spay mom now so you don't have to deal with kittens and her accidently killing them.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goldentails87

You need to take the kitten from the mother. You will need to supervise all feedings and other interaction between the two. At 5 weeks when the kitten it weaned, SPAY the mother. At 8 weeks, or 2 lbs (if the kitten is female) spay her too. If the kitten is male you have to wait untill you can grope him. Good luck

Jessie

I would also call the vet, to see if he/she has any suggestions.

I'm sorry you lost the other babies.

~KK~