Need help with my "angry" cat

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love cats of all types. Recently had to put my cat who I had for 15 years down due to illness which was awful So I went and got one from the shelter. It is a 1.5 year old short haired female cat. She is an indoor cat. I brought her home and of course she hid for a few days. We have had her now for about a month.. She is still pretty skiddish but has really started out of her shell in some aspects. I live with my brother and mom and have my duaghter on weekends. Well she absolutely adores them. Especially my mom. follows her everywhere. Sleeps in her bed, comes any times she hears her voice. also is very fond of my brother. But for now the cat just does not like me. She usually hisses at me backs away from and on occasion attacks me. Out of nowehre this morning she clawed my foot and hissed. She is so good to the others and not to me. I have tried to read up on things. when she hisses I don't yell at her. I talks soft and gentle. i have tried to feed her whenever possible. I give her treats now and then etc. she usually doens't let me too close to pat her. although she jumps up to my mom and brother. Anyone have any advice? I have been nothing but gentle to her. I figure maybe she had been abused in the past by someone who may remind her of me? I really don't want to take her back to the shelter. but I cannot go on too long like this. I have to watch everywhere I walk so I do not get attacked. Does anyone have any advice or has this hapenned to anyone/.. thanks so much

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a "sticky" thread in the upper area of this forum titled....
Ouch!!! How to stop cat aggression toward people.

Check that out too...
it might contain some tips that you help you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Curious if the shelter had her spayed or provided vet services or did you take her in to the vet? If so, she may be looking at you as the source of her pain and confusion.

Right now, she believes you are a predator. You need to remove this threat. Stray cats are afraid of heights so as often as you can you need to be low to the floor. Sitting is preferable. When she eats, sit right by her. Don't touch her- just talk to her gently. Be sure you feed her something meaty and good during these sessions, not just dry food.

Also look into what scents you are wearing? Do you smoke? Are you around smokers? Scents set kitties off sometimes in big ways.

Buy a comfort zone room diffuser and a bottle of Feliway Spray. Plug the diffuser in and start lightly spritzing your clothes and shoes and hands when you are home. You are now a "friendly" scent. Don't make direct eye contact with her. If you do, slowly blink your eyes several times, lower your head and back away. Direct eye contact with stray cats is one of the first "invitations to the gunfight."

Good luck and DON'T give up on her because so many people already have.

You can PM me for more help if you wish. I have dealt with kitties like this for years.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You just hit the jackpot....
Hissy is an expert.
If anyone can help you, it's Hissy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Curious if the shelter had her spayed or provided vet services or did you take her in to the vet? If so, she may be looking at you as the source of her pain and confusion.

Right now, she believes you are a predator. You need to remove this threat. Stray cats are afraid of heights so as often as you can you need to be low to the floor. Sitting is preferable. When she eats, sit right by her. Don't touch her- just talk to her gently. Be sure you feed her something meaty and good during these sessions, not just dry food.

Also look into what scents you are wearing? Do you smoke? Are you around smokers? Scents set kitties off sometimes in big ways.

Buy a comfort zone room diffuser and a bottle of Feliway Spray. Plug the diffuser in and start lightly spritzing your clothes and shoes and hands when you are home. You are now a "friendly" scent. Don't make direct eye contact with her. If you do, slowly blink your eyes several times, lower your head and back away. Direct eye contact with stray cats is one of the first "invitations to the gunfight."

You can PM me for more help if you wish. I have dealt with kitties like this for years.
Thanks very much hissy.. There are some good things here for me to try that I didn't know about. She is so loveable to my mom and bro. I just don't get it. She had all her shots and she had just seen the vet for chekcup a few days before I got her. I have all the paperwork.

I don't smoke. I do wear cologne to work? Wonder if that smell bothers her? Don't alwasy wear the same. Every so often she does rub up against my leg when she is hungry. But I have fed her and as soon as the food is in the dish she can turn around and hiss and go in attack mode. It is very frustrating. I am going to keep trying though..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be the cologne you are wearing. I remember a female cat who HATED perfumes of any kind; yet the male I had loved it and would follow me around.

Try not to wear anything for a few days and see if that helps her reaction to you.

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

It might be the cologne you are wearing. I remember a female cat who HATED perfumes of any kind; yet the male I had loved it and would follow me around.

Try not to wear anything for a few days and see if that helps her reaction to you.
thanks for tip. I am willing to try anything to make this work..

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Darn.. no hissing this morning before work. Sort of kept away from me. But just now I was at one of my hallway and she came charging.. hissing and clawed my foot pretty hard. I yelled "ow" cause it hurt. She ran back down the hall. I talked soft and went into my room backwards.. Back she came crouching down. hissing at me from my doorway.. So frustrating.. She is such a peach to everyone else.. I am trying everything..

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please review Hissy's post below...

Originally Posted by hissy

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Please review Hissy's post below...
thanks. I did all of that. When I fed her. I sat down next to her food. But not too close. HSe refused to eat. I sat there for 15 minutes. WHen I got up and left. SHe came and ate. I tried to sit down.. away she went. I have tried every suggestion except for the spray. I guess that is my next move.

Right before her attack. I sat on the floor and talked softly and did not look her in the eye. I got up. Backed away slowly. When I got so far, boom after me she came

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like she is being triggered by some scent causing her to launch into defensive mode. Maybe a lotion, hair product, deodorant..........

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

It definitely sounds like she is being triggered by some scent causing her to launch into defensive mode. Maybe a lotion, hair product, deodorant..........
I stopped using cologne two days ago. But will cahnge everything to see if it works. I am getting so down about it. It happened again this A.M. I was with my mom who the cat adores.. The cat (Juno) came to where she knows we keep the food. I slowly went over. Opened the can and she was fine. Right at my feet with no anxiety. I put the food in her dish. I backed away to put the can back.. and bang comes flying at me hissing and swiping. It continues to be me and only me. I am going to get the spray tonight and give that a shot.

It is real difficult though.I feel like a prisoner in my home. I am walking on eggshells when I walk around the house. Never knowing where she is or when the next attack will happen.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does this cat have a name?

Just some thoughts....
You might still be grieving for the loss of your other cat.
I suspect that you are beginning to resent this cat.
Please don't take the behavior personally.

It's only been a couple of days since you first asked for help with this cat's aggression toward you.
The techniques that members have given you are not instant fixes.
Not only will it will take time to win this cats trust, it is going to take time for you to bond with her. She will never replace your other kitty, but with patience and care, you just might find her to be a wonderful companion.

Consider it a challenge...
you are smarter than your cat.

In the meantime...
wear long pants, shoes and socks.

How do your Mother and Brother feel about this issue?

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Does this cat have a name?

Just some thoughts....
You might still be grieving for the loss of your other cat.
I suspect that you are beginning to resent this cat.
Please don't take the behavior personally.

It's only been a couple of days since you first asked for help with this cat's aggression toward you.
The techniques that members have given you are not instant fixes.
Not only will it will take time to win this cats trust, it is going to take time for you to bond with her. She will never replace your other kitty, but with patience and care, you just might find her to be a wonderful companion.

Consider it a challenge...
you are smarter than your cat.

In the meantime...
wear long pants, shoes and socks.

How do your Mother and Brother feel about this issue?
thanks for taking the time to help me. The cats name is "Juno".I have had moments of anger toward the cat because of the constant attacks. But I love cats, and the anger goes immeidately. While I miss my other cat horirbly, I don't resent juno because of it.

Patience is a key. I expected everything to be okay after a day I guess.

Yeah I normally wear shorts around the house and barefoot. That will have to stop.. My feet and ankles are taking a beating..

My brother doesn't say much. He is just happy that Juno loves him.

My mom is heartbroken. She has really bonded With Juno. Juno follows her everwhere. Sleeps in her bed. Lies on her lap etc. I was so upset this morning I stupidly said well enjoy your last day with Juno cause I am taking her back tomorrow to the shelter. It was just a reaction because of the morning attacks. I truly do not wnat to give up on Juno.
My mom witnissed things this morning though and was shocked. She can't believe it is the same cat who she spends all day with.. My mom is elderly and i moved back home to take care of her. Juno is an awesome companion for her. That is motivating me to keep at it. I just get frustrated cause I try so hard to do everything to be nice to juno and to do the right thing

thanks again all for listening.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your Mother is fortunate that you came home to care for her.
Sometimes cats sense a humans need for care.
Juno might be sensitive to your Mother's need plus she probably appears non-threatening to Juno.
It took courage to share your true feeling about Juno with us...
use that courage to win Juno's trust.

You can do it....
this will not be quick, it could take weeks...
but you can win Juno over.
Be sure to take care of yourself too.

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Your Mother is fortunate that you came home to care for her.
Sometimes cats sense a humans need for care.
Juno might be sensitive to your Mother's need plus she probably appears non-threatening to Juno.
It took courage to share your true feeling about Juno with us...
use that courage to win Juno's trust.

You can do it....
this will not be quick, it could take weeks...
but you can win Juno over.
Be sure to take care of yourself too.
thanks again... i will keep at it.. gonna get the spray and give it a shot.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you always walk away from her in the slow, cautious, backwards walk? And here is why I ask. Our almost 2 year old cat Ping will get these wild hairs and go into attack mode but mainly towards my oldest son. What I have noticed is when he gets like that towards him my son will do the slow backwards walk and that makes Ping wanna get his feet even more. But whenever we make my son walk away normally Ping will stop the attack. So maybe give that a try.

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Do you always walk away from her in the slow, cautious, backwards walk? And here is why I ask. Our almost 2 year old cat Ping will get these wild hairs and go into attack mode but mainly towards my oldest son. What I have noticed is when he gets like that towards him my son will do the slow backwards walk and that makes Ping wanna get his feet even more. But whenever we make my son walk away normally Ping will stop the attack. So maybe give that a try.
I have been tryng the slow walk away backwards. I had read somewhere not to turn my back on her. But she has attacked in both modes actually.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz

I have been tryng the slow walk away backwards. I had read somewhere not to turn my back on her. But she has attacked in both modes actually.
Makes me wonder if she had been kicked? Some people back away from what ever is going to be kicked so they can get some momentum (think about kicking a ball)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind. If the cat seems to like everyone else, can you consider leaving the cat to stay with them, and adopt another cat of your own?