Crazy about sauce?

sugarnails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Salem, is absolutely nuts about wet foods with sauce. He'll lick the "meat" chunks dry then ignore them. I don't blame him, the only varieties of canned/pouch food I've found around here are cheapo junk brands.

As for his staple food, he currently gets "The Goodlife Recipe", but even that is meat flavored corn puffs. I'm probably going to have to buy grain free food online since this area is pretty much controlled by Wal-Mart and Purina. (even the 'mom and pop' pet shops)

So my question is, do any of the better cat food brands have a chunks-with-sauce type of canned food or are they all pate? He avoids pate canned food like the plague.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two kitties are sauce addicts.

It is a challenge.

They love Nutro's Complete Care Weight management and Senior pouches.
They share 1/2 pouch a day.

The sauce is gone almost instantly.

They enjoy pate if I add spring water, after the pate is in the bowl, then take a small dab of the pate and mix it with the water so they think they are getting sauce.

I am sure that other members will know more about different wet food that has sauce.

Good luck with your sauce fiend.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ramsay will only eat the sauce if I give him the chunks in gravy, but that's because he won't pick up food and chew it. He just licks at it. When I give him the pate he will just lick at it until he's done. Even if I give him a people snack (I know, shame on me
) I have to break it up into microscopic pieces for him or he'll lick it up, spit it out and walk away.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avoderm has a chicken chunks with gravy that Riley loves so you might try that. Some of the Merrick flavors are chunky. Riley generally eats pate so I'm not too familiar with the chunky brands.

Nutro and Wellness both have pouches that are chunks with gravy. Some of the meow mix (plastic tubs) are chunks or shreds with gravy.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, some of the Merrick flavors are like a chunks in gravy-pate hybrid. That's the only way I can think to describe it. The Grammy's Pot Pie, for example, is like ground chicken in gravy. Ramsay laps that up without leaving any behind.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use to feed Nutro Kitten Complete Care and Gourmet Classics and they both are heavy in sauce. She licks the sauce clean first before attempting to eat the chunk. I stopped feeding her since I no longer trust Nutro products.

Wellness has pouches as well and initially, my Lucy Belle eats it but not anymore. Compared to Nutro, Wellness' gravy appears more diluted and the meat chunks are smaller.

Fromm is another company I tried. I believe when they change their packaging, they also changed their formula. I fed Tuna Entree and Duck Entree and they both used to be laden with sauce, thick sauce, jelly like consistentcy due to the tomato paste. But once the changes kick in, the sauce basically dissapeared and Lucy Belle no longer eats it.

Other have mentioned Avoderm and Merricks. Those are pretty good too but with Merricks, the consistency is a little strange.

The one food with I would recommend that has lots of sauce and gravy is Weruva. My kitty loves them! Her favorite:- Peking Ducken, Chicken Soup, Paw Lickin Chicken, Green Eggs and Chicken.

If you feed Tuna, Solid Gold Tuna Entree is also a good choice. Chunky pieces of tuna with sauce, if your kitty loves to lick, this is one you could try!

gidgetcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

totally OT but everytime i see this thread i think of a cat thats an alcoholic
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sauceoholics Anonymous
" I can't have just one lick."
Meeeow!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

I use to feed Nutro Kitten Complete Care and Gourmet Classics and they both are heavy in sauce. She licks the sauce clean first before attempting to eat the chunk. I stopped feeding her since I no longer trust Nutro products.

Wellness has pouches as well and initially, my Lucy Belle eats it but not anymore. Compared to Nutro, Wellness' gravy appears more diluted and the meat chunks are smaller.

Fromm is another company I tried. I believe when they change their packaging, they also changed their formula. I fed Tuna Entree and Duck Entree and they both used to be laden with sauce, thick sauce, jelly like consistentcy due to the tomato paste. But once the changes kick in, the sauce basically dissapeared and Lucy Belle no longer eats it.

Other have mentioned Avoderm and Merricks. Those are pretty good too but with Merricks, the consistency is a little strange.

The one food with I would recommend that has lots of sauce and gravy is Weruva. My kitty loves them! Her favorite:- Peking Ducken, Chicken Soup, Paw Lickin Chicken, Green Eggs and Chicken.

If you feed Tuna, Solid Gold Tuna Entree is also a good choice. Chunky pieces of tuna with sauce, if your kitty loves to lick, this is one you could try!
I just tried Weruva for Butzie and she is in love! Peking Ducken is right up there!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try mashing it up a bit so its not so easy to just lick off the sauce. My kittie usually eats pate SD, but the other day I gave her a pouch of chunky Sd, and she licked every little drop of gravy off and ate none of the chunks! As long as you also feed them a dry food, I don't worry about it tooo much.