Calling crafty people - Felt workers??

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so i vaguely remember ages ago someone here makes felt geodes (VERY jealous) but i was wondering any of those out here actually make felt from scratch, instead of just the felt sheets you can buy?

Tristans mum gave me a quick lesson on the weekend, she had some wool stored away from years ago which she has dyed herself then unknotted it on the carding machine. I ended up making a pretty sheet with white/lilac/fushia and am going to turn it into a little cushion.

So, has/does anyone here make felted items from scratch???

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have! I'm pretty bad though

I went on a course with my grandma and we learnt how to make it.
I think I make it the cheat way, I don't use the felting needles or anything like that, I just lay out the wool and soap it into felt. Its quite relaxing.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've made felt before. I go to art school and we have a very good fiber design program. I'm taking a weaving (floor loom weaving) class in the fall, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

I have! I'm pretty bad though

I went on a course with my grandma and we learnt how to make it.
I think I make it the cheat way, I don't use the felting needles or anything like that, I just lay out the wool and soap it into felt. Its quite relaxing.
It's not the cheats way, the two ways are wet and dry, and as far as i've read, needling felt is the easier one.

I know there are a few different wet techniques, but - not only did it take me about an hour to lay out all of the fleece, then after soaking it, i had to roll it back and forth around the rolling pin in bubble wrap 2500 times (500 one way, unwrap, re roll do it again) then rinse it in lukewarm water, then put it on the table and massage it, then wash it in hot water, then slam it down on the table 5 times, then massage and manipulate it some more and let it dry. You must have done the oh-so-relaxing felt in the bathtub technique
How is THAT easy? lol

Originally Posted by Rockcat

HA! I didn't even know you could make it from scratch.
Lol well if you're not an arty person, or you're used to buying it in pre-made sheets, then you're forgiven

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh!
... Maybe i just gave up more easily? I doubt my felt is as perfectly felted as yours. I used to massage it with my hands once the pattern had set, and found that although my hands did ache by the time it was done, and none of my pieces were bigger than 30cm square I'm sure it wasn't as much work as rolling it 2500 times.
The needles way always seemed really slow to me, and dangerous too- the needles were sharp! I feel the same way about fish hooks.