Cat in labor, getting nervous

twentysix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her name is Soccer and she's extremelly pregnant, not sure exactly how many days, but about 3 hours ago I was holding her and I noticed a reddish-clear spot on my shirt. Sure enough, when I looked at her genitals, there was a bloody, watery discharge. Since then she has been alternating between pacing and nesting, and has not let us leave her side, even though she's usually not an affectionate cat at all. Now she hasn't left her bedding in about an hour.

But there aren't any contractions at all. Some websites I've been reading say the first kitten should come within the first hour of labor, but the discharge was three hours ago. Should I worry? And is she actually in labor?

What can I expect in the following hours?

Also, she's very old, at least 11. We would have had her spayed, but we thought she was too old to have kittens, which we now know doesn't happen to cats.

goldentails87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mysuggestion, call the E-vet. Get thier opinion about when the 1st kitten should be born. Don't forget to mention her age. That could have ALOT to do with it.
Thinking of you and Soccar. Good luck!
Let us know what happens.

Jessie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twentysix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure if you are referring to certain number I can call, or if you are saying I should call my local emergency vet. If you mean the second one, that's a problem.. we don't have one!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko acted like that the night before Yoshi was born. She had the discharge and demanded Coco be with her and she wanted me. She had Yoshi the next day between 7:30 and 8 am.

twentysix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, still no contractions and she's dripping pure blood now.

and i tried that website, but there are none for my area.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah dripping blood is definatly not normal she might need an emergancy c-section. Please take her to the vet.

twentysix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I've been at work all morning, and now I'm on my lunch break. She hasn't had any kittens and I still don't think she's having contractions. I haven't seen any more blood other than those few drops at about 2AM this morning, but she is gradually dripping a watery bloody discharge. Is this just preliminary labor, and if so, how long before contractions?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats SHOULD NOT bleed during labor there could be something terribly wrong please take her to a vet!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, your kitty should have seen a vet a long time ago when this started. Cats do not normally bleed during labor and there may be something very seriously wrong. I hope everything is okay, but get her to a vet!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twentysix

Okay, I've been at work all morning, and now I'm on my lunch break. She hasn't had any kittens and I still don't think she's having contractions. I haven't seen any more blood other than those few drops at about 2AM this morning, but she is gradually dripping a watery bloody discharge. Is this just preliminary labor, and if so, how long before contractions?
You need to leave work right now, and find ANY vet that you can to see her. Her bleeding is not normal, and considering her age, she probably needs to have a C-section. She will probably die if you don't get her there ASAP!

Please get her to the vet NOW!

~KK~

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twentysix

Ok, I think you just scared everyone when you said she was dripping pure blood.

It is normal for cats to have discharge before they deliver - sometimes up to a week before, but usually within days of queening - and it is tinged with blood. But it is just spotting. If you notice more than spotting, then you should be concerned. Also if the discharge is green or smelly, you need a vets attention.

You know your girl best. If you think something is wrong, it cant hurt to at least put a call into the vets.

I have to say, I think if you are keen to her actions, you might notice her getting more restless the day/night of delivery. Also she might visit and dig in her nesting box more than usual. She might also make unsuccessful trips to the litter box over and over. At this point you should have her confined to one room so she isnt having the kittens under a bed or behind the refrigerator.

As for her age and giving birth, you might want to be more diligent with her and be on hand if she needs help. With her age, she may tire easily. Have a kitten-kit on hand: Scissors to cut the cords, alcohol to clean the scissors with before you use them; thread or dental floss to tie cords with; Vaseline; clean towels; paper towels; grocery bag for throwing paper towels and or placentas away; soft washcloth for wiping away the amniotic sac if needed; towels warming in the dryer for keeping kittens warm, or sock stuffed with rice that you can warm in the microwave; notebook and pen for record keeping and also your vets phone number.

Keep us posted. I look forward to the news of a healthy litter.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Ok, I think you just scared everyone when you said she was dripping pure blood.

It is normal for cats to have discharge before they deliver - sometimes up to a week before, but usually within days of queening - and it is tinged with blood. But it is just spotting. If you notice more than spotting, then you should be concerned. Also if the discharge is green or smelly, you need a vets attention.

You know your girl best. If you think something is wrong, it cant hurt to at least put a call into the vets.

I have to say, I think if you are keen to her actions, you might notice her getting more restless the day/night of delivery. Also she might visit and dig in her nesting box more than usual. She might also make unsuccessful trips to the litter box over and over. At this point you should have her confined to one room so she isnt having the kittens under a bed or behind the refrigerator.

As for her age and giving birth, you might want to be more diligent with her and be on hand if she needs help. With her age, she may tire easily. Have a kitten-kit on hand: Scissors to cut the cords, alcohol to clean the scissors with before you use them; thread or dental floss to tie cords with; Vaseline; clean towels; paper towels; grocery bag for throwing paper towels and or placentas away; soft washcloth for wiping away the amniotic sac if needed; towels warming in the dryer for keeping kittens warm, or sock stuffed with rice that you can warm in the microwave; notebook and pen for record keeping and also with your vets phone number.

Keep us posted. I look forward to the news of a healthy litter.
WOW!
I'm impressed!
You sure do know your stuff, Marianjela!

I'll admit that she sure scared the
out of ME!

I'm glad you came across this thread!

~KK~

twentysix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so we took her to the vet a few days ago, and she ended up losing her kitten (there was only one). But she was so depressed, we couldn't take it, so we called around to different animal shelters in the area, knowing there must be a litter of kittens that needed a momma since it's spring. We found her 4 adorable little kittens whose mother had died, and she has been the happiest foster mom ever since.

I'm upset about her losing her kitten, but I'm really glad this worked out. The people at the animal sheter had been having trouble getting them to drink from a bottle because all they wanted was their mother. As soon as we put the two carriers together, the kittens tried to crawl in (they smelled her milk). And as soon as we put them in, she began purring and cleaning them, since they were matted with dirt and feces with no mother to clean them. Now they're a happy little family! And they're black and white (except one grey tiger) just like her, so they really look like her long lost kittens!