TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Cat in labor, getting nervous
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat in labor, getting nervous

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Her name is Soccer and she's extremelly pregnant, not sure exactly how many days, but about 3 hours ago I was holding her and I noticed a reddish-clear spot on my shirt. Sure enough, when I looked at her genitals, there was a bloody, watery discharge. Since then she has been alternating between pacing and nesting, and has not let us leave her side, even though she's usually not an affectionate cat at all. Now she hasn't left her bedding in about an hour.

But there aren't any contractions at all. Some websites I've been reading say the first kitten should come within the first hour of labor, but the discharge was three hours ago. Should I worry? And is she actually in labor?

What can I expect in the following hours?

Also, she's very old, at least 11. We would have had her spayed, but we thought she was too old to have kittens, which we now know doesn't happen to cats.
post #2 of 28
Mysuggestion, call the E-vet. Get thier opinion about when the 1st kitten should be born. Don't forget to mention her age. That could have ALOT to do with it.
Thinking of you and Soccar. Good luck!
Let us know what happens.

Jessie
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
I am not sure if you are referring to certain number I can call, or if you are saying I should call my local emergency vet. If you mean the second one, that's a problem.. we don't have one!
post #4 of 28
Meeko acted like that the night before Yoshi was born. She had the discharge and demanded Coco be with her and she wanted me. She had Yoshi the next day between 7:30 and 8 am.
post #5 of 28
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
okay, still no contractions and she's dripping pure blood now.

and i tried that website, but there are none for my area.
post #7 of 28
You need a Vet now. They do not drip pure Blood when they are in labor. How much Blood is there?
post #8 of 28
Yeah dripping blood is definatly not normal she might need an emergancy c-section. Please take her to the vet.
post #9 of 28
post #10 of 28
My gosh!! What the heck is going on with her now?!?

post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
Okay, I've been at work all morning, and now I'm on my lunch break. She hasn't had any kittens and I still don't think she's having contractions. I haven't seen any more blood other than those few drops at about 2AM this morning, but she is gradually dripping a watery bloody discharge. Is this just preliminary labor, and if so, how long before contractions?
post #12 of 28
Cats SHOULD NOT bleed during labor there could be something terribly wrong please take her to a vet!
post #13 of 28
She needs a Vet now. She can die from that.
post #14 of 28
I agree, your kitty should have seen a vet a long time ago when this started. Cats do not normally bleed during labor and there may be something very seriously wrong. I hope everything is okay, but get her to a vet!!
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysix View Post
Okay, I've been at work all morning, and now I'm on my lunch break. She hasn't had any kittens and I still don't think she's having contractions. I haven't seen any more blood other than those few drops at about 2AM this morning, but she is gradually dripping a watery bloody discharge. Is this just preliminary labor, and if so, how long before contractions?

You need to leave work right now, and find ANY vet that you can to see her. Her bleeding is not normal, and considering her age, she probably needs to have a C-section. She will probably die if you don't get her there ASAP!

Please get her to the vet NOW!

~KK~
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysix View Post
Okay, I've been at work all morning, and now I'm on my lunch break. She hasn't had any kittens and I still don't think she's having contractions. I haven't seen any more blood other than those few drops at about 2AM this morning, but she is gradually dripping a watery bloody discharge. Is this just preliminary labor, and if so, how long before contractions?
Ok, I think you just scared everyone when you said she was dripping pure blood.

It is normal for cats to have discharge before they deliver - sometimes up to a week before, but usually within days of queening - and it is tinged with blood. But it is just spotting. If you notice more than spotting, then you should be concerned. Also if the discharge is green or smelly, you need a vets attention.

You know your girl best. If you think something is wrong, it cant hurt to at least put a call into the vets.

I have to say, I think if you are keen to her actions, you might notice her getting more restless the day/night of delivery. Also she might visit and dig in her nesting box more than usual. She might also make unsuccessful trips to the litter box over and over. At this point you should have her confined to one room so she isnt having the kittens under a bed or behind the refrigerator.

As for her age and giving birth, you might want to be more diligent with her and be on hand if she needs help. With her age, she may tire easily. Have a kitten-kit on hand: Scissors to cut the cords, alcohol to clean the scissors with before you use them; thread or dental floss to tie cords with; Vaseline; clean towels; paper towels; grocery bag for throwing paper towels and or placentas away; soft washcloth for wiping away the amniotic sac if needed; towels warming in the dryer for keeping kittens warm, or sock stuffed with rice that you can warm in the microwave; notebook and pen for record keeping and also your vets phone number.

Keep us posted. I look forward to the news of a healthy litter.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
Ok, I think you just scared everyone when you said she was dripping pure blood.

It is normal for cats to have discharge before they deliver - sometimes up to a week before, but usually within days of queening - and it is tinged with blood. But it is just spotting. If you notice more than spotting, then you should be concerned. Also if the discharge is green or smelly, you need a vets attention.

You know your girl best. If you think something is wrong, it cant hurt to at least put a call into the vets.

I have to say, I think if you are keen to her actions, you might notice her getting more restless the day/night of delivery. Also she might visit and dig in her nesting box more than usual. She might also make unsuccessful trips to the litter box over and over. At this point you should have her confined to one room so she isnt having the kittens under a bed or behind the refrigerator.

As for her age and giving birth, you might want to be more diligent with her and be on hand if she needs help. With her age, she may tire easily. Have a kitten-kit on hand: Scissors to cut the cords, alcohol to clean the scissors with before you use them; thread or dental floss to tie cords with; Vaseline; clean towels; paper towels; grocery bag for throwing paper towels and or placentas away; soft washcloth for wiping away the amniotic sac if needed; towels warming in the dryer for keeping kittens warm, or sock stuffed with rice that you can warm in the microwave; notebook and pen for record keeping and also with your vets phone number.

Keep us posted. I look forward to the news of a healthy litter.
WOW! I'm impressed! You sure do know your stuff, Marianjela!

I'll admit that she sure scared the out of ME!

I'm glad you came across this thread!

~KK~
post #18 of 28
I thought she was dripping pur blood. Meeko had a blood tinged discharge before she had Yoshi.
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Okay, so we took her to the vet a few days ago, and she ended up losing her kitten (there was only one). But she was so depressed, we couldn't take it, so we called around to different animal shelters in the area, knowing there must be a litter of kittens that needed a momma since it's spring. We found her 4 adorable little kittens whose mother had died, and she has been the happiest foster mom ever since.

I'm upset about her losing her kitten, but I'm really glad this worked out. The people at the animal sheter had been having trouble getting them to drink from a bottle because all they wanted was their mother. As soon as we put the two carriers together, the kittens tried to crawl in (they smelled her milk). And as soon as we put them in, she began purring and cleaning them, since they were matted with dirt and feces with no mother to clean them. Now they're a happy little family! And they're black and white (except one grey tiger) just like her, so they really look like her long lost kittens!
post #20 of 28
what a great thing for both your cat & the orphaned babies!
post #21 of 28
I'm so happy everything worked out. I figured there was something wrong with her dripping blood i'm glad you got her to the vet. And those are 4 lucky kittens!
post #22 of 28
Oh, I'm so glad this all worked out, though it's very sad that she lost the kitten. Maybe not so surprising when you think of how old 11 years is for a kitty!

Those 4 little babies must be SO happy though!
post #23 of 28
woah I somehow missed that she was 11 years old. No wonder she couldn't have babies! When a cat turns a certain age the pelvis can fuse and is not as flexible making it almost impossible for the cat to have babies. My grandmother's Dachshund accidently got pregnant for the first time when she was 10 years old she lost all three babies and almost died in the process. Sadly she also died of breast cancer a year later.
post #24 of 28
I'm sure glad to hear this follow-up. And it sounds like it all worked out for the best.

I would say spaying and neutering for everyone involved would be a good idea, right?
post #25 of 28
I'm sorry she lost her kitten, but so happy to here it worked out in the end! How wonderful that she gets to foster the orphans! I cant wait to see pics and look forward to family updates!
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post

I would say spaying and neutering for everyone involved would be a good idea, right?
I agree. Especially considering Momma cat's age..

I'm sorry to hear that Momma lost her baby, but I'm glad to hear that the outcome had a "happy" ending.

~KK~
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysix View Post
Okay, so we took her to the vet a few days ago, and she ended up losing her kitten (there was only one). But she was so depressed, we couldn't take it, so we called around to different animal shelters in the area, knowing there must be a litter of kittens that needed a momma since it's spring. We found her 4 adorable little kittens whose mother had died, and she has been the happiest foster mom ever since.

I'm upset about her losing her kitten, but I'm really glad this worked out. The people at the animal sheter had been having trouble getting them to drink from a bottle because all they wanted was their mother. As soon as we put the two carriers together, the kittens tried to crawl in (they smelled her milk). And as soon as we put them in, she began purring and cleaning them, since they were matted with dirt and feces with no mother to clean them. Now they're a happy little family! And they're black and white (except one grey tiger) just like her, so they really look like her long lost kittens!
What a wonderful outcome! I'm sorry her one baby died and that her new babies' mom died, but it's great that you checked around to find a litter for her to raise!
post #28 of 28
I am very happy for the outcome. what a bitter sweet story!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Cat in labor, getting nervous