Failure to thrive

goldentails87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is extreamly sad and frusturating! I have a momma foster and her 4 kittens. The kittens are about 2 weeks old and I have had them since the day they were born (Momma was brought into the shelter WHILE giving birth). Anyways, at first all was good. Mom was very protective
(except with me), and she did well with cleaning up after her babies.
She is however very thin. Atfirst she wouldn't eat, but is now eating pretty regularly. We have one kitten who is extreamly thin and seems to rather sleep than eat. Today I noticed that mom dosen't seem to care much about this kitten. She had climbed out of the crate they are in and was cought under the blanket. Mom didn't run to her side as I would expect. Infact, she dosen't respond to any of thier crys. So it looks as if I will be bottle feeding this one, just a little to supplement.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is thier anything I can do to help the kitten out? Should I compeletly remove her from mom?
I ask because I have delt with litter w/out thier mothers but not with a FTT (Failure To Thrive).
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Jessie

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea but thank you for taking care of the momma cat and her babies

There is a section of the forum that probably has more advice and expertise, it's the pregnant cat & kitten area:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

There are some sticky threads at the top that might be helpful.

lots of good vibes your way

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Bottle Feeding her. My Oreo was the Runt of her Litter and has Fcks. My Brother didnt think she would live. When I got her at age 3 Months in Nov she was half the size of the other Kittens. I hope something will help the Kitten.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice to offer b/c I'm new to all of this too.
I would suggest reading the stickies also: they're usually full of valuable info..

I hope the little guy will be all right!

~KK~

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if the mother isnt doing anything with this kitten, i would definately bottle feed her(but instead of using the bottle that they have at pet stores, i would use a syringe or an eye dropper, its alot easier). does she groom this kitten like she does the others, or is she basically just ignoring this kitten? if so, you will probably be the one who has to groom her & help her go to the bathroom too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was breeding rexes, I bred 2 females (one seasoned breeder, one first time breeder). The daughter had her litter about a week after her mom. The daughter decided she didn't want to take care of the kittens (she was spayed) and "dumped" them on her mom. Lady took care of all the kittens for about 2 weeks. But 2 mornings in a row, Tiki's kittens were pushed to the side and actually taken far away from the rest and left.

I tried to put them back a few times, but Lady knew something was wrong with them. The little kittens died overnight.

This might sound harsh and cruel, but IMO you don't have to save everyone and I feel that "mom/nature" knows best. Sometimes when kittens are rejected there is a very good reason why, and you should not attempt to save those kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldentails87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

if the mother isnt doing anything with this kitten, i would definately bottle feed her(but instead of using the bottle that they have at pet stores, i would use a syringe or an eye dropper, its alot easier). does she groom this kitten like she does the others, or is she basically just ignoring this kitten? if so, you will probably be the one who has to groom her & help her go to the bathroom too.
Mom has not been gooming the kitten at all. infact my already spayed girl (Spice) has taken this on under her wing. Its really very cute

So I have been bottle feeding, when I see the other kittens eating I will go pick up Jett Puff (because she looks like a little marshmellow) and bottle feed her. While Spice (my cat) grooms her. It's a joint effort.