Well there went my appetite

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in the kitchen making a PB&J and left it on the counter while I pulled two packages of stew meat out to check the sell by date. They were in a plastic bag back to back with both packaging stickers facing out. When I flipped it over to look at the other sell date I noticed it was leaking blood everywhere.
I looked around and it was all over the floor and in the fridge. A drop even got on the counter by my sandwich. Needless to say I'm not hungry anymore. I don't even no why I eat meat because half the time I get grossed out by it.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the feeling - I don't mind cooked steak, but when it comes to the smell of beef blood, it nauseates me. I don't know why. Any other blood is fine, just not beef.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, my mom always puts packages of ground beef in the meat drawer in the fridge, and every now and then she'll ask me to get in there and get one out for her, and there's always blood all over the bottom of the drawer.. I hate it!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand looking at raw meat like that, it's so nauseating! The sight of the blood dripping from it as it defrosts puts me off eating it once it's cooked, especially beef or pork joints. Yucky!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a reason why you're supposed to put a dish under thawed meat.
Cleaning out the fridge is no fun.
I hate it when I go to pick meat up at the grocery store and blood gets all over my hands.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel.

In the market back home, a lot of the poultry stands let the drainage from the case drip into a bucket on the floor (in the walkway). So there's basically a big bucket of raw meat drippings and blood that you have to step around. Sometimes they don't put it in the right spot, and it gets on the floor.

I usually lose my appetite there too.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I was in the kitchen making a PB&J and left it on the counter while I pulled two packages of stew meat out to check the sell by date. They were in a plastic bag back to back with both packaging stickers facing out. When I flipped it over to look at the other sell date I noticed it was leaking blood everywhere.
I looked around and it was all over the floor and in the fridge. A drop even got on the counter by my sandwich. Needless to say I'm not hungry anymore. I don't even no why I eat meat because half the time I get grossed out by it.
That doesn't bother me at all. I guess it's because I spent a good portion of my life working in the restaurant industry and have some culinary school under my belt, including butchery. I've also cleaned fish and helped hunting friends of mine when I lived in Michigan with their deer.

What turns me off is when I smell something that is really rotten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

That doesn't bother me at all. I guess it's because I spent a good portion of my life working in the restaurant industry and have some culinary school under my belt, including butchery. I've also cleaned fish and helped hunting friends of mine when I lived in Michigan with their deer.

What turns me off is when I smell something that is really rotten.
What does rotten meat smell like?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What does rotten meat smell like?
Really bad?
Surely you've smelled bad meat before?
In the town I grew up in, the local grocery store owner had a habit washing(chicken) and repackaging the old meat. Sometimes it wouldn't look suspicious so when you got it home and opened it you were in for a big surprise. I've also found some awful surprises in my in-laws' fridge before... purple raw chicken.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Really bad?
Surely you've smelled bad meat before?
In the town I grew up in, the local grocery store owner had a habit washing(chicken) and repackaging the old meat. Sometimes it wouldn't look suspicious so when you got it home and opened it you were in for a big surprise. I've also found some awful surprises in my in-laws' fridge before... purple raw chicken.
The only bad meat I've smelled it lunch meat. I've never smelled bad chicken or beef. Doesn't beef start turning green when going bad?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Doesn't beef start turning green when going bad?
...after a while.
The human nose can't detect more subtle changes, so it's best to use up raw thawed meats within 1-2 days. For lunch meat it's best not to leave it more than 5 days.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

You know how a rotting roadkill corpse smells?

Yea, like that.
Aww, sick. Nope I've definitely never smelled that coming from meat.