First Vaccinations...

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I know that first vaccinations are supposed to be given around 8-9 months of age. However, we are looking at getting some 10 week old kittens who have not yet been vaccinated. They are sisters and have been with mom and will be until we take them, likely on Friday (nothing is for sure yet).

If we are getting them Friday night, we will not be able to get them vaccinated before bringing them home. However, I could get them in on Saturday if needed. However, I wonder if it is better to bring them home and let them get used to the new house for a few days, taking them in later next week. Or, should I take them right away, just to be on the safe side.

There are no other cats in the house and they will be kept indoors, of course.

Zoey did just pass away from an unknown illness. She was positive for coronavirus and negative for toxoplasmosis, feline leukemia, and feline immunodeficiency virus. She had very high white blood cells, eliminating distemper from the possibilities. None of the other diseases covered by the vaccinations match her symptoms (although she was never vaccinated due to health reasons).

We have done a thorough cleaning of the apartment.

So, vaccinate Saturday (if we got them Friday), or let them become more comfortable with us and the apartment and take them later in the week?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since the illness that took your Zoey is UNKNOWN I would not bring any unvaccinated or vaccinated animals into your home for at least 6 weeks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please vaccinate the kitten BEFORE it comes to your house. The vaccine takes affect immediately in kittens and it will be protected. There is always a risk still of course.

Also, I assume you mean that first vaccines are between 8-9 weeks, actually first vaccines should be done closer to 4-6 weeks, but it all depends on the circumstance of where the kitten is, if it has a mom, if it is around other cats, etc. I would say overall 6 weeks is a good age to start and it continues every 3 weeks until the kitten is 16 weeks (4 months) old.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets over here do them at 10 & 14 weeks. By starting them at 10 weeks they only require 2 instead of 3. According to my vet protection is not instant, takes about a week for the immune system to build.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Please vaccinate the kitten BEFORE it comes to your house. The vaccine takes affect immediately in kittens and it will be protected. There is always a risk still of course.

Also, I assume you mean that first vaccines are between 8-9 weeks, actually first vaccines should be done closer to 4-6 weeks, but it all depends on the circumstance of where the kitten is, if it has a mom, if it is around other cats, etc. I would say overall 6 weeks is a good age to start and it continues every 3 weeks until the kitten is 16 weeks (4 months) old.
I was basing the information on what is says on the vaccine pamphlet I received from the vet. It says the first one (without rabies) at about 9 weeks, and then the booster 4-6 weeks later. Then, of course, yearly boosters.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd talk to my vet, giving full circumstances, and get her call on timing. My vet is very good about scheduling 'new kitty or doggie' appointments immediately after you pick the new pet up, just for that reason. Personally, I'd pick them up on Saturday and go directly to the vet. That's what I did with my own two.

Good luck, whichever course you choose.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vaccinations aren't effected right away....like for distemper, you need a shot, then 3-4 weeks later a booster, one week after the booster it is considered "effective". Rabies is only one shot, then a booster every 1-3 years depending on which shot they get.

I agree to talk to your vet, since you do not know what Zoey died from.