Grain-free/Chicken-free

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What brands have grain-free canned foods that don't contain any chicken, chicken broth, etc? I posted a question to Dr. Jean about Ramsay's chronic ear infections and she suggested it is probably allergy related. [Who woulda thought??] He has always eaten chicken based foods and I know that can be an issue, but the only canned wet I can find is Merrick's Thanksgiving Day Dinner flavor. He does eat some Merrick canned now and enjoys it, but I like to know all of my options, and ideally would like to find more than one flavor and be able to try other protein sources with him as well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
evo makes COMPLETE 95% meats ... i think they have beef , venison , lamb , rabbit...

evangers makes a mackrel

wellness 95% are labelled dog at the moment come in similiar meats to evo

natural balence makes the venison and pea and duck and pea

canine cavier( also cat ) has beaver and a few others

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky....how about dry foods that are both grain and chicken free? A 50/50 combination is also something that I'm thinking about.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
chicken free grain free at this pt is non existant in cat ... a few have made it in dog ...

Natural balance in duck and pea is the closest but duck is very close to chicken

rescuekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed "Now" turkey and duck formula.

I don't believe it has any grains or chicken. It's kibble.

Finally, a grain-free pet food which combines only fresh hormone free and preservative free meats (turkey, duck & salmon), with garden fresh vegetables, coconut and vegetable oils, farm fresh fruit and select anti-oxidant rich berries. NOW! pet foods are formulated without meat meals, by-product meals, or animal fats ( 100% render free).

NOW! is the first ultra premium, grain-free pet food that features the appropriate, industry standard levels of protein and fat pet owners have been waiting for!

1. NO Rendered Meats

2. NO Rendered Oils

3. NO Grains

4. NO Ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT

5. Moderate Protein

6. Moderate Fat

7. Digestive Enzymes Plus Pre & Pro-biotics
http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=179

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that looks good now if it was readily avail outside Canada ... it is in some area s but others have no distribution

It is MAINLY starch so a no go for the low carb wanting... see de boned turkey is prior to cooking and thus looses about 2/3 of its wt and so this formula is mostly potato and pea

the garlic MAKES a NO go for me

rescuekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't know that much about cat food.

Just figured it has no chicken and no grains.

The Natural Balance first ingredient is pea as well, so I guess cats like peas whether they're good for them or not! LOL

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RescueKitten

Don't know that much about cat food.

Just figured it has no chicken and no grains.

The Natural Balance first ingredient is pea as well, so I guess cats like peas whether they're good for them or not! LOL
Peas are a question right at the moment many cats are turning up allergic.. yeah it is

Welcome youll learn alot here

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

chicken free grain free at this pt is non existant in cat ... a few have made it in dog ...

Natural balance in duck and pea is the closest but duck is very close to chicken
No wonder I couldn't find anything in dry foods...

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I need help finding a chicken-free food that is of decent quality but not a crazy price. I plan to feed half canned and half dry from now on. I realize that I'll have to give up the grain-free part of the dry food for now, but man...I can't even find chicken-free at all. Everything seems to have chicken fat in the ingredients still. Also, you said duck was similar to chicken, but what about turkey? I would think that would be similar to chicken also, but the wet food that Dr. Jean suggested was turkey.

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sharky, Im suprised you missed a few.

My cats new favorite is Nature's Variety Instinct.

They make a 95% product like Evo, just meat, liver, and eggs, and maybe pea or carrot (there there are a few whole pieces, you could pull out if u think cat has alergies).
They have Duck, Lamb, Venison, Rabbit, Beef and of course chicken.

My cat has tried all of them and loves them. I was worried she wouldn't go for the venison but she did (it smelled wretched to me)

Evangers carries an Turkey and Butternut squash, and Pheasant based canned.

Im actually mad at Nature's Variety, my kitty likes it SO much she is almost rejecting the other wets (Evangers and Merrick) I give her.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Korina

Sharky, Im suprised you missed a few.

My cats new favorite is Nature's Variety Instinct.

They make a 95% product like Evo, just meat, liver, and eggs, and maybe pea or carrot (there there are a few whole pieces, you could pull out if u think cat has alergies).
They have Duck, Lamb, Venison, Rabbit, Beef and of course chicken.

My cat has tried all of them and loves them. I was worried she wouldn't go for the venison but she did (it smelled wretched to me)

Evangers carries an Turkey and Butternut squash, and Pheasant based canned.

Im actually mad at Nature's Variety, my kitty likes it SO much she is almost rejecting the other wets (Evangers and Merrick) I give her.
On occation I do actually foget , lol ... but THIS is for DRY food ... Instict has chicken in all of the instinct dry ...

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, the NV lamb was the only one that I could find as well. I guess that's all there is? That's really too bad. I hope they like it or I'm in trouble!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, it never ends!!! There are chicken eggs in NV Lamb.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i will look and see if any food is without poultry in a dry for cats....

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the help! I know that I was told Ramsay's ear infections could be an allergy, and that is why I was originally going to change, but wasn't in a hurry because he's infection free lately. BUT I posted last week about Gus having bloody/mucusy diarrhea and that he'd only eaten his normal food and some boiled chicken that day. He's always had somewhat soft stool since we got him. Well, yesterday and today the cans I gave them were Merrick's chicken pot pie flavor and again, pure liquid diarrhea. It's so bad right now I'm following him around with vinegar and paper towels just wiping up what he's leaking out. And it only dawned on me that he had chicken last week when this happened, it can't be anything else. I got a small bag of the NV lamb because it's at least better than what I can find. The chicken eggs are near the end of he ingredient list.

jackieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you need it, you can ask your vet for a prescription for the Royal Canin IVD diets - they have a few versions that are chicken/grain free.

If you are willing to switch to raw and/or dehydrated, Nature's Variety makes both premixed raw and freeze-dried versions that are chicken/grain free.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would happy to be able to feed the cats raw, but we're full-time unemployed students, so that is not a reality for us.