Is It Possible...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Momma cat to go into heat after only one week of delivering her kittens??

Salem has been really "friendly" today - rubbing up against my feet & legs, and making that "burring" sound like female cats do when they're in heat. She also managed to sneak outside when my s/o opened the door this morning, and she really hasn't seemed to be that interested in going out since she had her babies.

Is it possible for her to be in heat already??

~KK~

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it's very possible they can go into heat as early as one day after delivery. Sophie is just now in heat after 5 weeks. Try your best to keep her inside.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and if she was outside for any length of time out of sight of you, then she could have gotten bred by a tom. That's why you HAVE to keep them confined after kittens till they go in to be spayed.

I pray she is not pregnant and nursing the kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yes and if she was outside for any length of time out of sight of you, then she could have gotten bred by a tom. That's why you HAVE to keep them confined after kittens till they go in to be spayed.

I pray she is not pregnant and nursing the kittens!
She didn't get pregnant.
My s/o was able to grab her before she took off too far.

I'm always very cautious about watching out for the cats whenever I open a door, b/c I know how sneaky they can be.
But unfortunately, my s/o hasn't learned that lesson yet. I'm always having to get on his case about watching out for the cats whenever he opens the door. He has a bad habit of standing at the door while leaving it wide open.
I guess I'm gonna have to be more of a nagger till he gets it through his thick skull..

~KK~

chele721

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Uggggg. Bella is in heat already too after 3 weeks. WE WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT LET HER OUT UNTIL SHE IS SPAYED WHEN THE KITTENS ARE WEANED. Every morning she is on the kitchen table looking out the window pacing with a very monotone and annoying meow. Can anyone tell me how long heat cycles last and will she continue to go through different cycles until she is spayed in the next 6-8 weeks?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok that's a relief. Shame on him for letting her escape. She's lucky THIS time

Cats can be in heat for 2-3 weeks for a cycle. Hopefully it won't last long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ok that's a relief. Shame on him for letting her escape. She's lucky THIS time
Lucky for my s/o!

Cats can be in heat for 2-3 weeks for a cycle. Hopefully it won't last long.
Speaking of being in heat, how long do you have to wait to get a female fixed after she has her kittens??

~KK~

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet. Usually when the kittens are about 8 weeks old you can safely spay the mother. But your vet would be the one to let you know how soon they feel is comfortable.