My Cats Being Bullied!!!

alexi vasiliou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is being stalked by two of the neighbours' cats. They are a boy and a girl and my cat is a girl. The two cats are also younger but as my cat is a small breed they have grow much larger very quickly. She is constantly being harassed, outside and in the house and is beginning to suffer mentally as well as physically. Her legs are injured from bites and scratches and she's becoming very timid and nervous. Is there a way of stopping them coming near or in the house? Or a way of stopping them fighting? as I don't want to restrict her freedom from going in and out the house.
please help

Alexi

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently heard the advice that you should sprinkle her used litter around the edge of your garden, and the other cats won't be as likely to come in. The person says it really worked.

Other than that, can you put a cat fence or enclosure in your garden, so she can still go out but will be safe?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid it doesn't sound like 'freedom' is much fun for her. I would never subject my cats to such treatment because I felt guilty about them being outside. They're just as happy indoors when I bother to play with them and give them things to do.

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same type of problems. I have 3 ferals. 2 are spayed and from the TNR group. the 3rd, Gray cat, just showed up several months ago. I thought she was expecting so I started to bring her in. She's not pregnant, so I put her back out. She has always been aggressive to my The 3other 2. Lately, Fuzzy, (one of the original 2) has really been picked on by the other two. Gray cat is now stalking Fuzzy, and I have brought her into the house to make sure she eats and gets some rest. She seems to love it, although she has never lived inside in her life. I'm afraid that the other two will chase her away and not let her come back. I do have acreage as I have other animals, so they normally live in my barn. I'll be looking forward to all the answers from others

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alexi Vasiliou

My cat is being stalked by two of the neighbours' cats. They are a boy and a girl and my cat is a girl. The two cats are also younger but as my cat is a small breed they have grow much larger very quickly. She is constantly being harassed, outside and in the house and is beginning to suffer mentally as well as physically. Her legs are injured from bites and scratches and she's becoming very timid and nervous. Is there a way of stopping them coming near or in the house? Or a way of stopping them fighting? as I don't want to restrict her freedom from going in and out the house.
please help

Alexi
Do you mean these 2 cats are actually going inside your house? If they are, you have to be the one to shoo them away and even chase them out of your property. A fence will help too and make sure your own cat stays within the fenced area. Look for cat deterrents like the example missymotus mentioned. About the fighting, it really will not stop until one submits. Your cat is definitely not submissive but she's getting there.
By the way, are your neighbor's cats fixed? Is yours spayed? Desexed cats are less aggressive (although will remain territorial) and have less drive to wander.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

I'm afraid that the other two will chase her away and not let her come back. I do have acreage as I have other animals, so they normally live in my barn.
Fuzzy will probably move in with you. Or hang around near your house.
By the way, is Gray Cat spayed?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would seriously build a cat enclosure for your cat and not allow her to be bullied, hurt, picked on by other cats. The longer you allow this, the higher your vet bills will be. Also if they are biting her, the wounds will close fast and you are looking at abcesses too on your cat.

IMO the safety of your cat should override your "desire" to let her outside to roam.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would seriously build a cat enclosure for your cat and not allow her to be bullied, hurt, picked on by other cats. The longer you allow this, the higher your vet bills will be. Also if they are biting her, the wounds will close fast and you are looking at abcesses too on your cat.

IMO the safety of your cat should override your "desire" to let her outside to roam.
my rb cat daisy was bullied and she made the decision, backed 100% by me, to become an indoors only cat. the idea of pushing her back outside was not one i would have considered.

i would keep your cat inside. she will benefit massively from the security that will bring. otherwise i fear you may lose her altogether.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's fine with you all on the other shore, but IMO a cat enclosure in the backyard would be a lot better then trying to keep other cats from your cat. Why continue to let the cats "sort out a pecking order" - there is one - the poster's cat is obviously on the bottom and could get seriously hurt.

Still stand by my statement of the cat's health should override you letting it outside without protection.

Personally I don't buy the theory of putting your cat's litter outside to keep others away. Multicats inside share a litter box - what's to stop outside cats from "claiming" the litter box?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Still stand by my statement of the cat's health should override you letting it outside without protection.
Originally Posted by Larke

I'm afraid it doesn't sound like 'freedom' is much fun for her. I would never subject my cats to such treatment because I felt guilty about them being outside.
I agree very much. The cat flap doesn't always work right either. I would not allow your cat to be bullied, that is really upsetting.