4 week old kittens and stray mommy

winery_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys,
My very first post:
I work at a winery, and we recently received visits form a new stray cat (I am pretty sure she is a stray and not feral, since she loves attention and to be scratched).
We discovered she had a litter of 5 kittens on March 17th. She gave birth in a big bin that is set up pretty high - guess she must have felt save there...
Anyway, I have been feeding here daily, and started giving some attention to the kittens. I have also started to look for owners.
My problem is now that they are becoming more active, and I am afraid she will move them soon (to ground level). I don't have anywhere to keep them myself (my husband is not keen on taking them home and my parents are coming to visit in 2 weeks time, and then we will be traveling). We also live in a smallish apartment.
I also have no place/room to keep them in at the winery (my boss isn't very sympathetic, and wanted to drown the kittens).
Any suggestions? Should I move them? Should I just let them be and hope I can keep track of them until the time comes to get them owners?
They are all really pretty, and mommy cat is also 'n stunner. I feel helpless - this is causing me way to much stress!
Any help will be much appreciated!

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you try to call a shelter for them to come pick them up? I would hate for the owner at work to catch them when you're not there and drown them...maybe he doesn't see them as house pets, but more of a rodent that will do harm to his operations.

My first call would be to the shelter, tell them the situation, and beg for them to come

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winery_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, fortunately I have gotten the boss not to do that, and I am sure he won't (I think he was half kidding - I hope). His wife is also a big cat lover, and she set him straight - she also provided food.
The first thing I did was phone the shelter and the animal friends connection in town. Neither could help me. I am planning on phoning the animal friends again today, and find out if maybe they have a large crate, or maybe even foster parents who would be willing and able to take in the mommy with the 5 kittens for a few weeks.
I also don't know if the shelter is a no kill one....
Any advise?

winery_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just phoned the animal friends connection again, and they might be able to help me. They will phone be back to let me know if they can foster the kittens and get them adopted.

Please hold thumbs for me (and the kittens of course).
One of the kittens have a shrunken eyeball (I took it to the vet yesterday) - seems to be a birth defect, or a infection she had when she was younger. I hope she gets a home - if she doesn't, I will take her (even though I can't really right now).
Will keep you updated.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by winery_cat

Well, fortunately I have gotten the boss not to do that, and I am sure he won't (I think he was half kidding - I hope). His wife is also a big cat lover, and she set him straight - she also provided food.
Good for her!

And kudos to you for taking care of these cats!

I hope the shelter is able to find a foster home for these kitties.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My suggestion was also going to be the local shelter. Hopefully they'll come through for you!

If not, do you know anyone who's a cat lover who might be willing to take care of them till you get back??

Good luck!!

~KK~

winery_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I'm hoping to hear from the animal friends connection soon. Since the winery is outside city/town limits, the shelter said we are not under their jurisdiction (which sucks) and I will have to phone the county shelter. Haven't done that yet.....but if I don't hear something soon that will be my next step!

Unfortunately I don't know any huge cat lovers (like myself) who are willing to take in all of them for now. If we had a house it would have been so much easier!

Thanks for the advise