Elderly Cat Seems To Stare Into Space.

lisamichelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

I have a 20 year old female cat that seems to sleep all the time. About 20 hours a day. I also notice that when she is awake she stares into space. She does this while on my lap, before getting out of her bed, in front of her food and water; It seems that she is doing it a lot! I just noticed about a day ago, that she will not really follow me around anymore. She just stays sleeping in her bed. Usually in the morning she would be waiting for me in the kitchen for food, but for the second day in a row she has not. She will, when she is hungry though, get out of her bed to go eat and then go right back to bed.
She's a very temper mental cat, so when I pick her up at times she growls at me, this is normal for her to do this, always has; I put her down, she then appears to stare into space again, looking like she's out of it, then about 10-20 seconds later snaps out of it. But she definitely does this on and off a lot.

Could this be because she's elderly? If anyone may know why could you tell me, or have any suggestions? She has an appointment with the vet this afternoon.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you have a vet appointment - recently I've read that in elderly cats the staring into space could be a symptom of kitty Alzheimer's (I think there was a better term for it, though). I'm glad your cat has such a loving mom to help her through her golden years, and hope your vet can give you some advice and a good diagnosis.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just lost Damita last night, she'd do the same thing. She'd been doing it for many years, she was blind.

Let us know what the vet says.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she will be ok. Stripe did that with End Stage Crf then went in a Coma and had to be Pts. The Er Vet thought it was a Stroke at first but then they said it was from the Crf.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
maybe that's the cat version of Parkinson's decease?

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sounds kinds of like seizures too but i dont know if cats have those types of seizures.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Glad you have a vet appointment - recently I've read that in elderly cats the staring into space could be a symptom of kitty Alzheimer's (I think there was a better term for it, though). I'm glad your cat has such a loving mom to help her through her golden years, and hope your vet can give you some advice and a good diagnosis.
My vet calls this a general cognitive disorder. My 17 year old had the same problem. It can be caused simply by old age (the brain synapses don't fire as quickly as they did when young), or can be medically based such as a slight stroke or brain tumor. Most cognitive disorders cannot be diagnosed accurately without invasive procedures such as a biopsy.

If you find that she doesn't use the litter pan, it may be that she has forgotten where it is. Same holds true for food and water. If she gets really forgetful, you might want to narrow her world and start moving things closer to the places where she likes to sleep.

It sounds like your baby is simply in her golden years. You and your vet need to keep a close eye on her right now.