TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › wet food with Bengal's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

wet food with Bengal's

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
ok, i don't want this to turn into a debate, & i certainly don't want people criticizing the way i look after my Izzy!

i was wondering what certain ingredient in wet food, give's Bengal's the runny poop's? when i first got Izzy, the breeder was feeding her on Felix. all my other kitty's are on shop brand wet food, & they are fine with it. however, i know Bengal's are different. all my kitty's eat together, sooo Izzy will eat out of the other bowl's aswel. i can't afford for all my kitty's to eat Felix, as where am from it's sooo expensive, along with the cat litter & dry food. anybody can answer this, but UK member's do you have any suggestion's on wet food for Bengal's? that's not expensive, as all my kitty's will have to have the same food, as they all eat in the same room.

the reason i asked if anybody knew the ingredient/or what give's Bengal's the runny poop's, is because i could look around the different type's of wet food sold here in the UK.
post #2 of 15
Are you saying she has a firm stool when she eats Felix? If so, look carefully at the ingredients and use those as your guide to finding another food.

As far as I know the Bengal poo problem isn't tied to any specific ingredient. From my experience it seems to me to be a general digestion problem of the sort not unique to Bengals but may be more common in them. As far as wet food goes, some have reported some success with grain free foods. In general, foods with a simple formula (few ingredients) may help. I would stay away from foods with fruits and veggies as they seem to be harder for cats to digest. With my Bengal, Coco, I find I can feed her anything as long as I give her a prebiotic/probiotic/enzyme supplement which aids digestion.

Sorry I can't help with foods found in the UK. Hopefully someone will come along who can.
post #3 of 15
bengals often have GI issues... I second the probiotic with enzymes ... most foods have a pre biotic ie beet pulp or chickory root
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
Are you saying she has a firm stool when she eats Felix? If so, look carefully at the ingredients and use those as your guide to finding another food.

As far as I know the Bengal poo problem isn't tied to any specific ingredient. From my experience it seems to me to be a general digestion problem of the sort not unique to Bengals but may be more common in them. As far as wet food goes, some have reported some success with grain free foods. In general, foods with a simple formula (few ingredients) may help. I would stay away from foods with fruits and veggies as they seem to be harder for cats to digest. With my Bengal, Coco, I find I can feed her anything as long as I give her a prebiotic/probiotic/enzyme supplement which aids digestion.

Sorry I can't help with foods found in the UK. Hopefully someone will come along who can.
yeh, she has firm stool's whenever she eat's Felix/Whisker's. thank's for the information, as you said with your Bengal Coco, where do you buy the supplement/how often do you use it in a day/& is it before or after the kitty's eaten you give it to her?

i will however, check the Felix ingredient's to try & match up to some different brand's.
post #5 of 15
I wont speak for her but I do know she uses one made by Eagle pack ...

I use a human one with my four legs with great results...

check the grains in the felix many cats need either very digestable ie rice or not so as in corn
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
bengals often have GI issues... I second the probiotic with enzymes ... most foods have a pre biotic ie beet pulp or chickory root
thank's!

post #7 of 15
post #8 of 15
In my experience it also has to do with protein levels. With Nikita she'll get runny stools if she gets wet food with less than around 12% protein.

This might just have to do with the fact that the higher protein ones are usually more expensive and maybe have the other ingredients better, i.e it might not be related per se but yeah. She does ok on the high quality sheba and/or Felix as good as it looks, is the cheapest I've found that she can eat and do ok on and that's at something like 38p a pouch, less if you buy a combo pack.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I wont speak for her but I do know she uses one made by Eagle pack ...

I use a human one with my four legs with great results...

check the grains in the felix many cats need either very digestable ie rice or not so as in corn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggav View Post
In my experience it also has to do with protein levels. With Nikita she'll get runny stools if she gets wet food with less than around 12% protein.

This might just have to do with the fact that the higher protein ones are usually more expensive and maybe have the other ingredients better, i.e it might not be related per se but yeah. She does ok on the high quality sheba and/or Felix as good as it looks, is the cheapest I've found that she can eat and do ok on and that's at something like 38p a pouch, less if you buy a combo pack.
thank's. another question, do certain dry food's have the same problem? i can easily feed Izzy her wet food in another room, but all the kitty's have dry food throughout the day. which mean's Izzy will eat it.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax View Post


yeh, she has firm stool's whenever she eat's Felix/Whisker's. thank's for the information, as you said with your Bengal Coco, where do you buy the supplement/how often do you use it in a day/& is it before or after the kitty's eaten you give it to her?

i will however, check the Felix ingredient's to try & match up to some different brand's.
As sharky said, I use Eagle Pack Holistic Solution. I am able to buy it locally at a pet supply store. I don't know if it is available in the UK but you can look at the ingredients online and probably find something similar, maybe in a health food or feed store if not a pet store.

I give her 1/8 teaspoon with each meal. It needs to be given with the food for them to benefit most from it. I mix it with her wet in the evenings. Morning when I feed dry, I mix it with an equal amount of brewers yeast and she laps it up just before she eats.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax View Post

thank's. another question, do certain dry food's have the same problem? i can easily feed Izzy her wet food in another room, but all the kitty's have dry food throughout the day. which mean's Izzy will eat it.
I had some success with a dry food that had a very simple formula with easy to digest ingredients (California Natural Chk & Rice). Others have had very good success with Eukanuka or Iams Hairball formulas.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
As sharky said, I use Eagle Pack Holistic Solution. I am able to buy it locally at a pet supply store. I don't know if it is available in the UK but you can look at the ingredients online and probably find something similar, maybe in a health food or feed store if not a pet store.

I give her 1/8 teaspoon with each meal. It needs to be given with the food for them to benefit most from it. I mix it with her wet in the evenings. Morning when I feed dry, I mix it with an equal amount of brewers yeast and she laps it up just before she eats.


thank's sooo much, for all the information. i loveee this site, all my question's are alway's answered!
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
I had some success with a dry food that had a very simple formula with easy to digest ingredients (California Natural Chk & Rice). Others have had very good success with Eukanuka or Iams Hairball formulas.
thankyou again!
post #14 of 15
I hope you have success with what has already been suggested for you to try.

The very first thing you should do, if you haven't already is test her for intestinal parasites. If she is clear then proceed with dietary changes.

Keep in mind, that you have a bengal. She has a small percentage of wild blood and many genes from her wild ancestors. These cats almost always need a different diet from regular domestics. Whether it be higher protein levels, less or no grains or just high quality foods.

I would suggest that if you can't establish a fix for the loose stools with commericial foods, that you go the raw route.

I always have and continue to feed my bengals a raw diet combined with Royal Canin kibble and I do not have chronic loose stool issues in any of my cats.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
I hope you have success with what has already been suggested for you to try.

The very first thing you should do, if you haven't already is test her for intestinal parasites. If she is clear then proceed with dietary changes.

Keep in mind, that you have a bengal. She has a small percentage of wild blood and many genes from her wild ancestors. These cats almost always need a different diet from regular domestics. Whether it be higher protein levels, less or no grains or just high quality foods.

I would suggest that if you can't establish a fix for the loose stools with commericial foods, that you go the raw route.

I always have and continue to feed my bengals a raw diet combined with Royal Canin kibble and I do not have chronic loose stool issues in any of my cats.
thank's. yeh, everyone's been really helpful! sooo, am going to try her on Felix. me & my partner suggested raw meat, if the problem continue's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › wet food with Bengal's