Ragdoll or Himalyan?

kansas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been looking into both breeds and was curious what people thought about both of them and what would be best for a house with children,
Ragdoll or Himalayan? I realize not one breed is specific to every personality trait but from peoples experience of having either one...I like the look of both of them but dont know the difference really as far as personality goes.. Thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd look more to a grooming/maintenance thing first - Himi's will be a lot more grooming (every day) then a Ragdoll.

I would think the Rags would be a little more child-friendly. Maybe talk to a few breeders and see what they say and recommend.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
grooming has a LOT to do with the decision. Himalayans require a lot of grooming to keep them from getting knotted. I do not know a lot about the Ragdolls, but from what I hear, they require a lot less grooming.

As far as personality, I breed Persians/Himalayans and my cats/kittens are great with children. I have a 4yr old and she handles the kittens, carries them around, puts them in her doll stroller, her doll bed, ect. I have sold quite a few to families with children and they love them!! Majority of the Himalayans have layed back personality so they are great with children. IMO.

Valerie

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, both are extremely docile. I've owned a Himmie/Siamese cross in the past and he was a really calm, placid sweet heart. He wasn't very playful though! The Ragdoll is so beautiful, and they have great size, and are also very calm and easily handled. I believe they may be more playful though. I would ultimately choose a Ragdoll over a Himalayan, despite being bias, because they are supposedly easier to groom, and the Himmies with the extreme faces can pose health problems. If you like these two breeds for their look though, maybe consider a Siamese or Tonkinese, as they are lower maintenance and very playful. I grew up with Siamese and they're still my breed of choice! They also have incredible life spans too, so I literally grew up with them! :-)

Good luck and happy kitten/breeder searching!

harlowquin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three Ragdolls. They love my 5 year old and are more like dogs than cats. They are very loveing, friendly, and affectionate. They like to cuddle and will start to purr the instant they are touched. They hardly shed at all. They are extremely gentle with us but like to play rough with each other.
Ragdolls come in several color combos. I just love their blue eyes. Their fur is very soft like bunny hair. They only two drawl backs to owning a Ragdoll is the price for one and the fact that once you have one you will most certainly want another. I went from never having a cat before to three very large cuddle bugs.
Here is the male. He is a seal mitted.

Here is the female she is a blue mitted.

And lastly the newest is a male seal bicolor lynx mitted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kansas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OH MY! They are so pretty! Yes I am leaning towards the Ragdoll. I like the idea of there size as well. I have found a breeder fairly close to me that sells them for $500 her husband is a vet. She only has the blue, bi color and mitted. I really like the seal markings but I think I may change my mind whe I go to pick one out...lol

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vrgchs

grooming has a LOT to do with the decision. Himalayans require a lot of grooming to keep them from getting knotted. I do not know a lot about the Ragdolls, but from what I hear, they require a lot less grooming.

As far as personality, I breed Persians/Himalayans and my cats/kittens are great with children. I have a 4yr old and she handles the kittens, carries them around, puts them in her doll stroller, her doll bed, ect. I have sold quite a few to families with children and they love them!! Majority of the Himalayans have layed back personality so they are great with children. IMO.

Valerie
I agree with vrgchs on all points. I've had the same experiences with all the Persians I've had (and himmies are just a color point Persian.) But they are more maintenance then ragdolls.

Originally Posted by Jillie

From what I understand, both are extremely docile. I've owned a Himmie/Siamese cross in the past and he was a really calm, placid sweet heart. He wasn't very playful though!
Actually a Himmie is a Persian/Siamese cross. I agree with you on the point of grooming. If I had small children, I would choose another breed just because of all the grooming and the time it takes.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Actually a Himmie is a Persian/Siamese cross. I agree with you on the point of grooming. If I had small children, I would choose another breed just because of all the grooming and the time it takes.
Whoops - He was actually a cross between the two. His father was a beautiful Seal Point Himalayan and his mother a Seal Point Siamese. I suppose the breeder from whom we bought him was 'experimenting'. In retrospect, perhaps this is a sign of a irresponsible breeder, but I can't complain; he was the love of my life!

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My two Ragdolls are now 7 months old, and I could not ask for more child-friendly cats! My 8yo son sleeps with Griffin every night, and cuddles him and carries him around all the time. My 5yo daughter has been known to push them around in her doll stroller, or carry them around in her stuffed animals' carriers! They seem to love attention of all kinds. They have truly been the most laid back cats I have ever owned. The grooming for my Raggies is not too bad - I brush them out completely about once a week, with a few touch-ups when needed to avoid knots. (Bastian usually falls asleep while he's being brushed!)

I have no experience with Himmies, but I wish you luck in finding the perfect kitty for you!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no expirience really with himmies, but am a ragdoll breeder. I love the raggies and they are so wonderful with my daughter, and doesn't need a ton of grooming, but do like being groomed, so it isn't a struggle to do so.

I love the blues! My female is a blue pt and my male is a seal bi-color, so my kittens are all seal (or choclate, since he carries choc, I get a few in the litter) mitted. I have kept two kittens from the last litter one is choc mitted and the other is seal mitted. So I don't get any blues, or bi-colors

They are all great and you wont be happier, no matter what color or pattern!