Should it be easy picking a name for a new Kitten?

davecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have chosen a kitten which we will be bringing home in about 5 weeks time.

He will be our second black cat, but it will be the first time we have had to choose a name, as our first cat was named Dave almost the same day he came out by one of our friends.

Anyway, we are finding it really difficult to chose.

We want something short and easy enough to say. Should it be an easy decision?

So far on our shortlist is:

Gary
Brian
Timmy
Colin
Dexter &
Stewie

We both agreed that we love the name George, but if we ever decide to have a child in the distant future, that George would be its name (if it was a boy), so that name has gone.

People may think they are strange choises for a cat, but we want something a bit more human. Even though we will probably end up calling him all sorts of hideously cheesy nick names.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by davecat

People may think they are strange choises for a cat, but we want something a bit more human. Even though we will probably end up calling him all sorts of hideously cheesy nick names.
Haha, I'm like that with most my pets... except my dog: "cuddles" just stuck to her and it couldn't be more true!

Oliver looks like the cat from the disney movie "Oliver and Company" plus he was a skinny minnie when I found him, so it made me think "Oliver twist"... and he has tons of cheesy nicknames!

I like your list of names so far! For some reason, whenever I see a black cat I think "Jonathon" cuz my mom had a black cat when she was a kid and that was his name... he thought he was a dog haha

Maybe you can wait until you have a day or two to actually interact with your kitty before you pick a name - you know, see what his personality is like... a lot of people actually do that with their human babies... actually an NHL goalie here just had his third child today with his wife and she still doesn't have a name (according to the news), just take you time - the "right" name will come to you!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Almost surely, a name will occur to you, it will fit, you will be happy with it, and your friends will say, "Huh?" But the cat doesn't care.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Oliver looks like the cat from the disney movie "Oliver and Company" plus he was a skinny minnie when I found him, so it made me think "Oliver twist"... and he has tons of cheesy nicknames!
My Oliver got his name the same way!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes a name comes to you right away when you see a cat or kitten, Radar was the word that popped into my head instantly when I saw my black & white boy's humungous radar-dish ears, there was no doubt that Radar was his name! Other times it can be a lengthy decision and you may have to have the kitten living with you to see his personality come through and get to know him before something really seems to fit.

Don't worry about not having a name for him yet, the right one will crop up. It's worth calling him using a few different names from your list, see which one he reacts to best - there may be one that gets his attention better than the others, in which case he will make the decision for you

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm horrible with names, that's why I pick a theme

I looked up a meaning of "black" on a baby name site and it gave me some choices:

Douglas
Dwayne
Merle
Donovan (I like this one!)
Ferrari
Jett
Ciaran
Montenegro (Monte for short!)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Almost surely, a name will occur to you, it will fit, you will be happy with it, and your friends will say, "Huh?" But the cat doesn't care.
especially since you want a 'people' type name. most of mine have people middle names - somehow, one just seemed to fit the cat.
first names for mine are computer-related. for Java, i posted a list of names here & let people vote - so she was named by TCS! for Chip, i almost ended up naming him Port... but, again, someone here suggested Chip & i liked that better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

davecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks guys.
I think you are right. Im sure that when he comes home a name will just suit and stick.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes it takes longer than others, but I have to agree that the cat will tell you his name -- when he's ready to.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Timmy. My one rex was named Tom E Hawk or Tommy for short. Cats seem to respond better to names that sound like vowels at the end.

Our next Oci will be Cpt Jack Sparrow. Right now I'm using "Jack" for Charlie's baby brother's name, but it might wind up as Sparrow (as that has a vowel ending) sound. Will wait and see.

But the kitten is named and not even born

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I'm horrible with names, that's why I pick a theme

I looked up a meaning of "black" on a baby name site and it gave me some choices:

Douglas
Dwayne
Merle
Donovan (I like this one!)
Ferrari
Jett
Ciaran
Montenegro (Monte for short!)
I like the idea of giving him a "people" name that means black, but then again I think something will just come to you. After we picked out Gus and before we brought him home we racked our brains for hours, but in my head I found myself calling him Gus...so when DH said "Gus sounds right" that's what we went with.