I have won the battle! Attn: UK members.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new townhome is in a community called Cambridge Crossing. The homes are done in old English Architecture. The street names are Canterbury, Oxford, blah blah, and Winsor. When I saw this sign on our street, I remarked to DW that I would have that street sign changed before we moved in. I went to the city council meeting last week and mentioned the utter stupidity of this street sign and the confusion it was going to cause, not to mention people laughing at my address.

I just received a phone call that the street signs with Winsor were being replaced with their proper name. I can now finally send in my change of address forms.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you!! No one must have actually thought to check the spelling???
Are there many people that will have to get their address corrected?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Good for you!! No one must have actually thought to check the spelling???
Are there many people that will have to get their address corrected?
We are the first and only people on that street.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are my HERO!

Within my little circle, I am the goddess of proper spelling, so I certainly supported your noble goal. But I really didn't think you'd be able to get a bunch of city council people to even grasp the issue, let alone spend money to fix it!

Lee, my friend, YOU ROCK!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had serious doubts about you getting it changed cause that's a major issue for post office, real estate, etc. Must have caught them at the right time to have it changed; otherwise I doubt you could without a lot of red tape

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations! I wonder if it has always been "Windsor" on paper, and whoever ordered/made the street signs messed up?

Though you never know. We live on a street that isn't "So-and-so Street/Road/Lane, etc.", but just "So-and-so". Apparently, some town official actually forgot to add "Street" when the first houses were built in the fifties, and it has never been changed. Every time you fill out a form, place an order, etc., you get an inquiry about the address.