Vibes and prayers needed for Oliver

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took him to the vet about six weeks ago worried he might have a kidney or bladder stone or a UTI. The doctor did a urinalysis and found no bacteria and didn't find any masses when she did an ultrasound and physical. She gave me a prescription for antibiotics.

At his follow-up visit, all seemed to be well, and the vet said he has "idiopathic cystitis". He didn't have any more problems until yesterday, when I noticed him straining and crying while he was in the litterbox. He also peed on some papers that I left on the couch, and there was blood in his urine.

I'm switching his diet to one targeted for urinary tract health (right now he gets Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken and for now I'm going to switch him to Purina One Urinary Tract Health and see if he improves before I get him on a prescription diet), switching to Cat Attract litter, and encouraging him to drink more water and eat more canned food. Is there anything else I can do?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you called your vet again? Or an E-vet if your's is closed? I think you need another professional exam/opinion urgently (but I'm hyper - I have my vet and E-vet's number on my fridge).

Also, Dr. Elsey now makes a senior cat litter (similar to Cat Attract) that's supposed to be good for cats that develop urinary infections. That might be worth a shot as well. Also consider getting a cat fountain. I just got a drinkwell and both of mine are drinking more.

Best of luck to your little boy, and to you - I know how scared you must be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks darlili. I have an appointment with the vet for 6:30 this evening.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi - My male cat has chronic cystitis. He was diagnosed with this a little over a year ago. My vet switched his food to Prescription Science Diet C/D which is good for the urinary tract and also suggested that I start giving him a supplement called "Cosequin for Cats"; it helps relax the bladder and is good for the urinary tract. A few months after using both the food and the supplements, I saw a drastic change. He very rarely gets these anymore, and if he does have a flare up, it passes very quickly. You can get the Cosequin online and it is fairly cheap. It's a capsule pill with a powdery substance in it. I just mix the powder in with a little bit of milk for him each day. Also, as the other poster mentioned, drinking alot of water is crucial. You might want to try placing an additional bowl of water someplace in your house that is different from what he's used to. I always just kept one bowl in my kitchen. When I was trying to get Simba to drink more, I placed a bowl in my hallway, and I guess because it's something different he laps it up. I now keep both bowls down at all times.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks 2furbabies. I'll ask my vet about Cosequin and put out a second water dish. If she recommends the prescription diet, I'll definitely go that route -- anything to help my baby!

One question about Cosequin -- I assume it's safe for cats who don't have joint or urinary tract issues? My other male cat, Rocky, is healthy except for a flea allergy.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Have you called your vet again? Or an E-vet if your's is closed? I think you need another professional exam/opinion urgently (but I'm hyper - I have my vet and E-vet's number on my fridge).

Also, Dr. Elsey now makes a senior cat litter (similar to Cat Attract) that's supposed to be good for cats that develop urinary infections. That might be worth a shot as well. Also consider getting a cat fountain. I just got a drinkwell and both of mine are drinking more.

Best of luck to your little boy, and to you - I know how scared you must be.
Hi darlili --

The litter you're talking about is called Precious Cat, and my vet said it certainly couldn't hurt. I got some of that and some Litter Magnet yesterday.

Not sure about the fountain yet, but I did put an extra water bowl in the bathroom. So far, both of them seem to be drinking more.

The vet also gave me Metacam to give him for pain.

Oliver seemed better last night and today -- still straining but not crying as much, and no accidents.

Thanks for your advice.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2furbabies

Hi - My male cat has chronic cystitis. He was diagnosed with this a little over a year ago. My vet switched his food to Prescription Science Diet C/D which is good for the urinary tract and also suggested that I start giving him a supplement called "Cosequin for Cats"; it helps relax the bladder and is good for the urinary tract. A few months after using both the food and the supplements, I saw a drastic change. He very rarely gets these anymore, and if he does have a flare up, it passes very quickly. You can get the Cosequin online and it is fairly cheap. It's a capsule pill with a powdery substance in it. I just mix the powder in with a little bit of milk for him each day. Also, as the other poster mentioned, drinking alot of water is crucial. You might want to try placing an additional bowl of water someplace in your house that is different from what he's used to. I always just kept one bowl in my kitchen. When I was trying to get Simba to drink more, I placed a bowl in my hallway, and I guess because it's something different he laps it up. I now keep both bowls down at all times.
I decided to try the Hill's Prescription Science Diet C/D, and I put out an extra water dish in the bathroom (I figured that made sense since he likes to hang out in there.). I'll try the Cosequin too. Thanks!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear Oliver's feeling better - the Senior Cat litter is a new litter in the Elsey line (along with Cat Attract, Precious Cat, Kitten Attract and who knows what else - Dr. Elsey is really starting to take up a lot of space at Petsmart lately!). I think the Senior Cat formulat may use more crystals in it, but, whatever litter works for Oliver, that's the one to get!!

I have read that putting water down in different areas of the house often works to increase drinking - I guess more like finding different spots in the wild.

Best wishes for continued progress and a return to total good health.