Adoption fee

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to give my kittens to loving homes but want to charge an adoption fee so that I know that no freakos will get free kittens. I have heard you should never give away free kittens. What is a good fee? I'm thinking between 25-35 dollars. What do you think? They are almost 5 weeks old and 1 week old now so it will be several weeks before they are rehomed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do you plan for an application?
Any shots?
What about spaying/neutering?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I'm going to only choose the people who seem to be the best owners and kittens will come with first set of shots but not spayed/neutered I don't think I can afford that. I am however going to give them the address website and phone number for a spay/neuter clinic with good prices. I'm also going to include a cd with all pictures taken of that kitten from birth. I'm not sure about how to do applications...ect

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Search the forums for "applications". I know there was talk of them I think last year & there were good ideas.

I'd say got for like $50 per kitten.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do the shelters in your area charge? And how many free kitten ads do you see running in your newspaper right now?

At our no-kill shelter, due to the increasing number of cats, the adoption fee has been lowered to $25+$20 spay/neuter deposit. At our Humane Society the adoption fee is $55+$25 alteration deposit. At another shelter - a cageless(foster-only) no-kill - the adoption fee for a kitten is $65 and that includes speutering.

All of these places include deworming, vaccines/well check, and flea treatment.

I understand the reasoning behind charging for a kitten as opposed to giving them away, I've heard this before too, but I think it is more important to have an application process.

Our local Humane Society runs the following ad, verbatim, in our paper every day:

The Erie Humane Society advises against giving animals away randomly. If you choose to do so, PLEASE USE EXTREME CAUTION. Get the person's name and address and make sure it's a good, responsible home. KNOW WHERE YOUR PETS ARE GOING. Plan to check back at a later date. The Humane Society reminds you to PLEASE have your pet spayed or neutered.
I think maybe if you call around to some of your local shelters, they can give you an application to base yours off of. Also you can even find online applications at many shelters.

Perhaps, you can state in your ad that the kittens are for sale (just to weed out impulsive adopters or predators) then when they call explain that you are accepting applications to ensure the best homes possible and ask for a vet-reference.

Just some questions you might ask:

Do they currently own any pets? (ask this first)
then find out who their vet is.

What is the breed and ages of the pets they have?

Are their pets altered and current on vaccines?

Do they plan on getting the cat declawed?

Will the cat be an indoor/outdoor cat or strictly indoor?

Do they have children? What are their ages?

Do they live in a house/apartment/condo? Do they rent? Does the landlord allow pets? (and can they provide proof of that)

Does anyone in the house have allergies (particularly to pets)?

Those are just some of the questions I can think of from our application from the top of my head. Perhaps, instead of charging a fee, you can charge a spay/neuter deposit - then when they provide proof of alteration, refund the deposit. Or charge the costs you incur for deworming and vaccinating them in addition to the alteration contract.

I commend you for wanting to do it right and for insisting on proper homes. Good luck with that!

Oh... and dont forget to include a link to TCS

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could charge an adoption fee and have them meet you at the vets to pick up their kitten on the day of neutering, then they pay the vet.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd recommend an adoption fee of at least $25-35 and an application, just be on the safe side. I also ask for vet reference and/or do home visits.

You might also want to check around to see if there are any vet clinics, rescues or shelters in your area that offer low cost (or even free) spay/neuter. That way you could have the kittens fixed before they go to their new homes, recoup your expenses through a higher adoption fee ($50 or more) and you'd have the guarantee that they won't be contributing to the cat overpopulation problem.

Good luck!

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would rather turn them in to a reputable rescue who can and will have them altered before placing them...

Have you called around to any vets and explained your situation? You may find one that is willing to offer you a discount.

It's unlikely that all of the homes your kittens are placed in will alter and I know you don't want to further contribute to the problem so why not either make it a requirement (and expect/enforce) proof or check out another option to ensure they have the procedure before adoption.

Personally, I would find out the cost of spay/neuter and require that as your adoption fee , that way you'll be able to afford the surgeries.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with a $20-25 adoption fee (maybe offer a "deal" for placing 2 kittens with one person). Tell them its for the cost of getting mom spayed.

Yeah you have another 5-6 weeks before they leave

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'd go with a $20-25 adoption fee (maybe offer a "deal" for placing 2 kittens with one person). Tell them its for the cost of getting mom spayed.

Yeah you have another 5-6 weeks before they leave
I agree... I can get a spayed/ neutered cat with full shots at the shelter for 50-75$ ...

davecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In England it seems common to charge between £40 & £60 adoption fee for a moggie kitten.
We have always been used to paying £400+ for all the dogs we have had previously that it doesnt seem like much at all for someone who genuinly wants to have a kitten to raise.
I think it is a good thing that you dont see any kittens for free much any more.

I see a lot of kitten adverts offering a discount when taking more than one. Which is a good idea too.

dezkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I paid $125 for JuJu, but she had everything lol. All shots (including Rabbies and Distemper), Spayed, and tested for FIV Feline Leukemia, all Dental care, treated for any Ear Mites, fully bathed, nails trimmed and professionally groomed. I got an awesome deal on her, but I'd charge $50, and have them sign a binding Neuter/Spay Contract. Basically stats that the animal MUST be altered by 6 months of age. Failure to do so will be automatic removal of cat, with no refund of adoption fee, or any medical or otherwise expenses during the cats stay with adoptee's. That was our policy on it, then we had an actual adoption contract. Basic's, vet reference, 3 personal (non-related) references. Cat must be inside with light supervised limits outside, must keep up with yearly shots, and all medical expense's. You get the idea lol. We charged $50 male and female. They were UTD on medical, and if they were not altered they were thrown in with a signed contract. If they were they didnt sign any paperwork on the altering.

If you look around there's a lot of clinics doing the Spay/Neuter on wheels program. You can look and see if there coming near you, there free alteration. Or there's a lot of low cost spay/neuter clinics

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*winces*

I'm going to be the only one saying this, but I really dislike adoption fees for plain Jane oops-pregnancy kittens that you are hoping to place in homes.

I think requiring alteration is a grand idea, and any method used to enforce that would be just fine with me -- making sure pets get spayed/neutered is very important, obviously.

But cats are already rather terribly expensive to own, as I'm sure we all know. In the first 6 months of having our two little darlings, vet bills ran to about $1000, including both their alterations and a round of treatment for parasites, as well as kitten shots. I knew this going in, and as a graduate student without a source of income other than loans, I looked until I found free kittens, rather than paying an adoption fee.

I would describe myself as a ridiculously responsible pet owner, and our two little loves have wanted for nothing since we took them in out of the rain. By charging a fee, unless it is explicitly to cover costs already incurred (and spaying mom does not count in this regard), you are losing me and probably a lot of others like me.

kitty_fever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoethor2

*winces*

I'm going to be the only one saying this, but I really dislike adoption fees for plain Jane oops-pregnancy kittens that you are hoping to place in homes.

I think requiring alteration is a grand idea, and any method used to enforce that would be just fine with me -- making sure pets get spayed/neutered is very important, obviously.

But cats are already rather terribly expensive to own, as I'm sure we all know. In the first 6 months of having our two little darlings, vet bills ran to about $1000, including both their alterations and a round of treatment for parasites, as well as kitten shots. I knew this going in, and as a graduate student without a source of income other than loans, I looked until I found free kittens, rather than paying an adoption fee.

I would describe myself as a ridiculously responsible pet owner, and our two little loves have wanted for nothing since we took them in out of the rain. By charging a fee, unless it is explicitly to cover costs already incurred (and spaying mom does not count in this regard), you are losing me and probably a lot of others like me.
I have to agree with this

Especially since there are going to be free kittens all over the place, people aren't going to pay it. You could offer free to a good home with a signed contract and maybe a vet reference/home check?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely don't want to give them away for free. I know around here free kittens have been known to become snake food
I most often see them go for $25 if they don't have any shots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly if someone can't pay a $25 adoption fee I don't want them to have my kittens...That is a very low price. If I get a job before the kittens are ready to go I will get them spayed/neutered before adoption because there is a spay/neuter clinic a few miles away that charges $25 for males and $45 dollars for females. I have heard too many stories of cruel teenagers ect...around here torturing kittens. I am not giving them away for free.

kitty_fever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, then you can always have the spay/neuter appointments set up and have the people pick them up from the clinic with the fee to cover the neuter

Or another option is Charge them, but offer them a refund when they get the kitten fixed.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who honestly want a kitten will pay money. Pet stores charge for moggie kittens, humane societies and no-kill shelters charge for moggie kittens. They are never on the the shelf long.

That said... barring the pet store kittens, the other places arent making money on these babies, the cost of the kitten is covering overhead - and in most cases it still doesnt cover it all.

If I were to buy a kitten out of the paper, I would take that in to consideration. If the fee reasonable for the care of the kitten, i.e. shots, alteration, etc. Or is the seller just out to make a quick buck?

We dont buy cats (or dogs) from a Pet Store because we dont want to encourage the puppy mills. Supply and demand. Same for the puppy ad in Sunday's newspaper, is the breeder responsible? or just a back yard breeder?

So far, of all the ideas, I like the one where the adopter meets you at the vet the day of the spay appointment. Do you have a vet in your area that will spueter at 12 weeks?

I know that is the tough part... Maybe there are vets in your area that sell gift cards and the spay/neuter can be bought from the vet in advance.

If the prospective owner is willing to pre-pay for the alteration in advance, you can probably be comfortable that it isnt dog or snake food!

I know you have some time to decide... let us know how it goes.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with those saying that they don't necessarily agree with charging an adoption fee for kittens.

I just payed close to $2000 for Zoey's vet care before she passed away. I am now looking for 2 kittens. I would have absolutely no problem paying for the kittens if they were spayed, neutered, vaccinated, or had received other care. In this case, it is logical to charge an adoption fee.

However, knowing that those costs are ahead of me, I don't really want to pay for kittens - when I know there are so many out there who need good homes. What am I paying for? The accident of allowing your cat outside and getting pregnant? Although I want the kittens (and am very willing to pay for all the expenses of owning a pet), I am taking a kitten that is the owner's responsibility, off their hands.

I completely understand not wanting to give them away to people who would not treat them properly, but I think careful screening goes a long way in this goal.

If you want to charge an adoption fee, give them some vet care. They should probably have it anyway, and then something is setting you apart from all those free kittens that are out there. I would much rather pay for a kitten who has had timely shots, or is even pre-spayed/neutered, than take a free kitten that is 12 months old and hasn't had any shots at all, has not been dewormed, and has not been vet checked.

That's just my 2 cents as a current searcher!

Edited to add: I just re-read this and wanted to clarify. I'm not trying to be judgemental about your cats having kittens. Accidents happen, and I know many want their cat to have kittens. But, a good deal of kittens are because people do not get their cats spay/neutered and allow them outside. There are so many kitties out there that need good homes...and I don't think all those good homes would choose a kitten they had to pay for (absent of vet care) when given the option for a free kitten from a similar situation.