TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Violence in sport
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Violence in sport

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Over the weekend an Australia Rules footballer, Barry Hall, king hit another player - on the field, during play - in an unprovoked attack that left the victim unconscious, concussed and with a broken jaw.

Hall was allowed to continue on and play out the rest of the game, after which he was charged under AFL rules and will face the game's tribunal for judgement.

There are many who feel that this player (who has a long history of violence on-field) should be charged with assault and arrested. Not only that, but this player is an ex-boxer, and could quite conceivably have killed the other player with this punch. It's a hot topic in Australia at the moment, as there have been several recent cases of single punches that have resulted in deaths going through the courts (my brother prosecuted one just last month). New laws have been introduced recently as a result.

So, is a serious punch in the face assault off the football field, but just frowned-upon on it? Hall himself admitted that he couldn't guarantee it would never happen again, which to me just reinforces the need for legal action to be taken against him.

Here's the story. Thoughts?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012432,00.html
post #2 of 12
Assault is assault, no matter where it occurs, IMO.
post #3 of 12
He should be charged just like Todd Bertuzzi (Hockey) should have been charged when he purposely slammed an Avalanche player head first into the ice. They were mad because in a previous game the guy made a clean hit that accidentally resulted in their Captain having a concussion and missing 3 games. It was pretty well known that they were out for this guy, and Bertuzzi was the hit squad. Their captain got a concussion and is still playing...the guy he hit? Broke his neck. His career is over, after playing just one season.

Bertuzzi was suspended for the playoffs that year, and since there was a lockout the next they pretty well hoped it would go away. He wasn't charged either.

Injuries do happen in contact sports, but intentially causing an injury is another matter entirely. Like Natalie said, assault is assault, no matter where it occurs.
post #4 of 12
I'm shocked they allowed him to continue playing. What's up with that? In this country he would have been, immediately, benched. The NFL or whoever would have made the determination what to do. He, most likely, would have been benched for the remainder of the season and got a hefty fine.

If this guy doesn't get charged with assault, if I were the player that was attacked
I would take this to civil court and sue the pants off him.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I'm shocked they allowed him to continue playing. What's up with that? In this country he would have been, immediately, benched. The NFL or whoever would have made the determination what to do. He, most likely, would have been benched for the remainder of the season and got a hefty fine.

If this guy doesn't get charged with assault, if I were the player that was attacked
I would take this to civil court and sue the pants off him.
I agree - this fellow needs to learn anger management as well.

That's why I like golf - those fellows never fight.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
He should be charged just like Todd Bertuzzi (Hockey) should have been charged when he purposely slammed an Avalanche player head first into the ice. They were mad because in a previous game the guy made a clean hit that accidentally resulted in their Captain having a concussion and missing 3 games. It was pretty well known that they were out for this guy, and Bertuzzi was the hit squad. Their captain got a concussion and is still playing...the guy he hit? Broke his neck. His career is over, after playing just one season.

Bertuzzi was suspended for the playoffs that year, and since there was a lockout the next they pretty well hoped it would go away. He wasn't charged either.

Injuries do happen in contact sports, but intentially causing an injury is another matter entirely. Like Natalie said, assault is assault, no matter where it occurs.

This made me think of Bertuzzi as well. What a flippin bully! It has nothing to do with the sport they are playing.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I'm shocked they allowed him to continue playing. What's up with that? In this country he would have been, immediately, benched. The NFL or whoever would have made the determination what to do. He, most likely, would have been benched for the remainder of the season and got a hefty fine.

If this guy doesn't get charged with assault, if I were the player that was attacked
I would take this to civil court and sue the pants off him.
In this country he would have been sent off, too - if he were playing any other code of football. It's long been a bugbear with the general public in Australia that AFL players are treated too leniently. I mean, the whole drug scandal with Ben Cousins (a Western Australian player) was an example of that and ended up with enquiries and commissions etc.

Hall will face the tribunal tonight and I'll be very interested to see what the outcome is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I agree - this fellow needs to learn anger management as well.

That's why I like golf - those fellows never fight.
Nah - they just kill endangered birds.

Sorry - couldn't resist. I LOVE golf. Such a peaceful sport to watch!
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Well, this is just stupid. He got a seven-week suspension. And as he broke his wrist in an unrelated incident later in the game, he is already going to be out for about six weeks injured. And the `sentences' will be served at the same time - so it's no punishment at all, really. Unbelievable.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
In this country he would have been sent off, too - if he were playing any other code of football. It's long been a bugbear with the general public in Australia that AFL players are treated too leniently. I mean, the whole drug scandal with Ben Cousins (a Western Australian player) was an example of that and ended up with enquiries and commissions etc.

Hall will face the tribunal tonight and I'll be very interested to see what the outcome is.


Nah - they just kill endangered birds.

Sorry - couldn't resist. I LOVE golf. Such a peaceful sport to watch!

The average golfer doesn't get that many "birdies".
post #10 of 12
I'm guessing (no, I really KNOW) that I'm not a typical "guy" when it comes to most sports. I don't watch much of anything on TV. I would literally rather watch paint dry than watch football, golf, basketball, hockey, or baseball. When I played sports (I had a mean fast softball pitch), I usually didn't even keep score. When I had to teach PE, my favorite outdoor game to have the kids play was California One Pitch softball.

And I think almost all sports are too violent.
post #11 of 12
Yes, this is an assault and the player needs to be charged for such. It wasn't an accident. He should be charged with assault and banned from the game for the rest of the season. I understand playing rough, but to intentionally hit another player like that should not be tolerated.
Quote:
I'm guessing (no, I really KNOW) that I'm not a typical "guy" when it comes to most sports. I don't watch much of anything on TV. I would literally rather watch paint dry than watch football, golf, basketball, hockey, or baseball.
I'm a guy and I am the same way (p.s. Don't let my screen name fool you )
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Well - here's another story that had a significantly different outcome.

One of our Olympic swimmers, Nick D'Arcy, apparently for no reason, punched a former team-mate in the face away from the pool while celebrating getting into the Olympic team. He broke the guy's face in five places - with ONE punch. He was banned from going to the Olympics.

My opinion? a) - idiotic to go to a pub and drink when you are an Olympian, and b) he definitely has a history of (unpunished) violence - which all came out at his trial - so he should have been nailed the way he was.

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. NONE. Barry Hall should have been given a similar punishment.

Here's the story:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/080417/2/16iuv.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Violence in sport