› Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › ProMeris flea repellent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ProMeris flea repellent

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I read where this was stronger and lasted longer than frontline and since frontline wears off after 2 weeks, with my cats I decided to try this.

I sent away for it online but NOW I am reading warnings that it has poisoned dogs and killed them and that it is causing seizures in cats.

Does anyone know if this is true? Should I just send the stuff back?
post #2 of 9
I don't know....I tried a new flea product last spring & guess what? Doggie seizures & cats lost hair.

I'm sticking with either Frontline Plus or Revolution from now on.
post #3 of 9
Where have you seen those warnings? Unfortunately, no one medication is safe for all animals--there is always a risk that an individual animal will have a reaction. I haven't seen any widespread reports of cats (or dogs) becoming ill after the use of ProMeris. You can see the company's technical manual here, which shows the studies that they conducted.

ETA: I personally would wait for more information to come out about such a new medication. It sounds like you are having doubts, and I would suggest trusting your instincts. ProMeris may be just fine, but there really isn't much research available on it yet.
post #4 of 9
I got an e-mail forwarded on to me, just today...that contains those warnings. There is no back-up to make me believe the examples are true.... So I took it with a grain of salt.
post #5 of 9
I wonder if you are thinking of ProFender. It is the first topical wormer and de-flea medicine available for cats. It also takes care of ticks. They tested in on feral cat colonies and although several cats became ill and I believe under 12 died, they still released it. To my knowledge it is only for cats so perhaps I am the one mistaken.
post #6 of 9
I have been reading and receiving warnings about ProMeris as well. I am not going to be using it.
post #7 of 9
From what I've read, I wouldn't touch ProMeris. It's almost as if they "testing" it by selling to unsuspecting pet parents, and then waiting to see what happens.
post #8 of 9
FWIW, I personally would never use any type of medication that I did not receive from a certified vet. I do however, understand that some folks work with TNR and other organizations and have the knowledge and experience to order things through means other than their vets and know the correct dosages, etc. but for me and the average pet owner out there, I certainly wouldn't risk it.
post #9 of 9
This is the story, I checked it on, and it's classified undetermined and research is being done into it. I realise a lot of flea treatments can cause adverse reactions, but I'd stay away from it until more testing is done.

Hi Everyone- the following message is very important. If you don't have a pet, please pass this on to anyone you know who may have a cat or dog....very important. Please alert others to the hazard of using a new Flea & Tick Preventative called ProMeris .

This is a new product designed to be a more effective product than other flea/tick treatments that was just released this year. It is available thru a vet and not currently on-line. I got ProMeris this week for my 7 dogs (6 Huskies & 1 Golden-Airedale), and the results were debilitating for nearly all of them-including me. Since my incident this week, my vet has pulled it from distribution and alerted the manufacturer, Fort Dodge.

Here are my results: Within less than 2 hours after applying, 4 of my dogs had vomited from 2-4 times, 3 were disoriented and stumbling, 1 was dragging his back leg, 1 was salivating. I had very similar symptoms like an allergic reaction-my lips were swollen, eyes very red, mucous membranes such as eyes, nose, and mouth were stinging. I was very disoriented-dizzy equilibrium and not able to drive. To make this a short story-all 7 of my dogs were admitted to the hospital for veterinarian care, and 3 of them remained for care, IV fluids and observation for 24 hours. I was in the emergency room. I'm home now and so are the dogs. We're all feeling much better. Vet bills were over $2,500 and Fort Dodge is paying for these. Not only can the product cause this reaction, it has a highly noxious odor that permeated the house and is just starting to dissipate after 3 days.

Your dogs/cats might not have the same reaction, but given my experience-I wanted to help you all become well-educated about the product.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › ProMeris flea repellent