I Won A Trip To Aruba!!!!!!!!!

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom, sister and I went to see a Fashion Show this afternoon and during the intermission they gave away Door Prizes and the number they called for the ARUBA PACKAGE was on the back of my program! I've never won anything like this before! What it is a three hundred dollar discount on the tickets and in the package I also got a key chain, some Flip Flops, a small stapler, a plastic glass, a small scented candle, a tray and a couple of magazines about Aruba and the things you can do there. Guess I should think about updating my passport!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!

We won a trip once all expenses paid but it turns out we couldn't go - we couldn't afford the taxes on our winnings. Now I watch game shows with a whole new attitude, figuring they only get half (if that) of what they win, etc.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, call me ever the skeptic, but this sounds to me like a scam. Maybe it isn't, but just for funsies, you might want to call a travel agency and see what they would charge for a similar package.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How the hell is it a scam? There's nothing wrong with giving three hundred dollars off , and representatives of the Travel Agency were right there when the package was given out!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... I'm really glad for you, but I'm afraid they've made it sound like more than it really is. You could also try checking directly with the airline, to compare.

But I hope it turns out mrblanche and I are just curmudgeons, and it's really a great deal for you!

EDIT: I just saw your response to mrblanche -- hon, it's just that it may not really be discounted at all. They can say the price is $1000 and give it to you for $700, but in fact, the real price if you just bought the ticket the cheapest way possible might be $700 to begin with. Or less.

Here's the thing -- when they call it a "vacation," but it's really only an airfare discount -- that's often a tip-off that they're not really giving you anything much at all. We're just trying to make sure you don't get taken.

I really hope it's a good thing!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yeah... I'm really glad for you, but I'm afraid they've made it sound like more than it really is. You could also try checking directly with the airline, to compare.

But I hope it turns out mrblanche and I are just curmudgeons, and it's really a great deal for you!

EDIT: I just saw your response to mrblanche -- hon, it's just that it may not really be discounted at all. They can say the price is $1000 and give it to you for $700, but in fact, the real price if you just bought the ticket the cheapest way possible might be $700 to begin with. Or less.

Here's the thing -- when they call it a "vacation," but it's really only an airfare discount -- that's often a tip-off that they're not really giving you anything much at all. We're just trying to make sure you don't get taken.

I really hope it's a good thing!
I agree. I sincerely hope it is all that is says it is, but please be careful. It's also possible that you could get a package to Aruba for less than what they are offering even with the $300 off.

Nobody wants to rain on your parade, but these days a good healthy dose of skepticism is not a bad thing.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
However, I DO want to note that Aruba is really hurting for business, and I have seen some great deals down there.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

However, I DO want to note that Aruba is really hurting for business, and I have seen some great deals down there.
All the more reason to check out other packages from other suppliers.