You're Gonna Laugh, But....

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How in the world do you determine the sex of a kitten when it's only a few days old??

I've tried, but they're so itty bitty!
I know a lot of you have been able to tell just what sex your babies are, b/c you mention if they're a male or female. I guess y'all are smarter than me!

Just how can you tell??

~KK~

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about not recognizing the differences. I have had kittens and cats all my life and a year and a half ago, we got two kittens from the same litter. The owner had 7 babies and they all looked the same, so he wasn't really much help either LOL (got them from the newspaper) Anyways, we thought we had Ferd and Marie. Took them to the vet and wow, we were surprised to find that Marie was really a Murray. They were 10 weeks old at that time, and it even stumped me. I was so embarassed. Don't feel bad, you'll find out sooner or later

Susan

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

The kittens in these photos may be a little older than your babies, but perhaps seeing this resource might be helpful to you.
Ha I thought those photos were the opposite sex than they really were. I leave sexing babies to the professionals lmao.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes its hard (I've been fooled before and I bred pedigree rexes).

Usually I first go by the color of the kitten. Most all torties/calicos will be females so that will help. And because I know a little genetics and knew what colors to expect from the breeding, I knew which could be male/female or ones I'd have to check.

If you tell me the color of mom and what you think dad is, I can help you a little.

Also when you look under the tail, males will have 2 dots and the females will have a dot and a slit - sorta like an upside down exclamation point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting those links, peeps!
They helped!

I took another peek at the babies after looking at the photos, and I THINK there are 3 males and 1 female.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If you tell me the color of mom and what you think dad is, I can help you a little.

Momma is all black, and I believe the Daddy is either a gray-striped tabby, OR, a gray-striped tabby with white markings. Judging by the markings of two of the kittens, I think the Daddy is the one with the white markings, b/c two of the babies who also have striped markings, have a little bit of white on them too. The other two babies are all black - just like their Momma (they even have her stubby tail, which I believe is some kind of genetic inheritance).

I hope that helps!
Thanks, GoldenKitty!

~KK~

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, my mother was infallible on sexing kittens, and I have never seen the difficulty about it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With black/blue colors its not sex linked and therefore can be either/or - shame that dad was not a red boy cause you'd get a tortie/calico and then could do better comparison. If the pictures don't help you out, you may have to take them to the vet for first shots and get them sexed then

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I took another peek at the babies after looking at the photos, and I THINK there are 3 males and 1 female.
Well, I stand corrected.
After taking another look at the kittens, there are actually 3 females, and 1 male. I was actually thinking in the opposite direction when I checked them last night..

In my own self-defense, this is my first time being a grand-meowmy. So I guess I'm allowed to make some mistakes.

~KK~