Please help!

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a new kitten this afternoon and his introduction to our cat isn't going so well.

Or cat (Ozzy) is a 4 yr. old (huge) Himalayan mix. We rescued him as a kitten. He's grown up with our dogs and has always felt comfortable and unintimidated by dogs. He's never really had much of an interaction with another cat and what limited experience he has wasn't exactly friendly.

He's an incredibly independent cat, not the type to snuggle in your lap or beg for attention. He's extremely confident and unafraid. He's a neutered male and lives indoors.

I've wanted another cat for a long time, but was always afraid of how Ozzy would react, however, after volunteering today at our shelter I was talked into it by someone with a lot of cat experience.

We adopted a 7 wk. kitten. DSH male. He is obviously oblivious...happy to be in a house, bouncy and happy. I didn't push the introduction but as soon as Ozzy sensed the kitten he hissed, spat, tried to slap and growled. He's even attacked me repeatedly (not while holding the kitten...and seemingly unprovoked). He won't let me pet him, he's just generally pi**ed off.

What can I do? What should I do? Is there any hope?

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you need separate the two for at least 2 weeks and introduce them slowly. Please search the forum for the steps on how to introduce new kitty into the house. Or google it on line.

Please separate them now or they will just fight and someone will get hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the links! I'm a total "dog person"...I absolutely love my cat and all animals and I've had cats my whole life, but I just feel more comfortable with doggy language so to speak.

Have I ruined any chance of them getting along now that I allowed them in the same area too soon? Is Ozzy's reaction to me normal?

I've already gotten the cat's area set up and I bought a little crate for him while he's adjusting.

Ozzy's litterbox and food is in our bathroom and he roams the house throughout the day. I'll have the kitten's area in another (closed off) room and allow him to roam when Ozzy is secured in the bathroom. Is it ok for Ozzy to roam while we're away (with the kitten secured in his own room?)

I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I'm sure I seem like a complete fool.

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more question (for now)...Should I avoid letting them truely interact until the kitten seems able to hold his own...(he is sooooo tiny and even in a couple weeks he'll be a fraction of Ozzy's size).

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just follow the steps and take it ssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww . They will be fine.

Rupert and Stewie fought for 2 month and then they stopped. Give it time.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-bourne

One more question (for now)...Should I avoid letting them truely interact until the kitten seems able to hold his own...(he is sooooo tiny and even in a couple weeks he'll be a fraction of Ozzy's size).
When you are at work, you might want to separate them and supervise them until they are ok with each other.

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

When you are at work, you might want to separate them and supervise them until they are ok with each other.
Definitely! I'm a stay at home mom so there won't be many times where I'll be away from the house for long periods but I I'm going to do a strict 2 week seperation for sure and I'll be taking things very, very, very slow.

Thank you again for the advice and the reassurance. Now...I hope Ozzy stops hating me soon.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is where you will get conflicting advice. i have never seperated my cats, even when the newcomer is a tiny kitten. i feel that they will be more stressed by knowing there is another cat around by not being able to see it.

only once have i had problems and that was with my rb cat janet. he was a mature 8 year old when i adopted him and although initially he was ok with the other 3 cats, (2 older than him and 1 younger) he did eventually become a bit of a bully, so i did have to occasionally seperate them if i would be away from the house for a day. although when we got 8 week old milo, janet reacted the same as ozzy for the first couple of days and then the 2 became close friends. so even the bully was won over by a scrap of a kitten.

however all the others have got along fine, within a week all has been calm in the house.

also with you being there most of the time i would leave them be.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, put the new kitten in a room by himself with litter pan, food, water and keep him there for about a week or two. You can't expect two cats who are strangers to like each other the instant they meet face to face.

ALL cats will his and growl at a strange cat.

So back up and do the intros slowly. After a few days, take the kitten out of the room and put your resident cat in the room and let the kitten run around. That way they can get used to each other without meeting in person. Then put the kitten back and take your adult out.

They still might hiss for awhile, but when both stop that, then take the kitten out of the room and put it in a carrier and sit it on the floor so they can meet but not really touch. Again, expect a little hissing.

When they seem fine with that, then let the kitten out but be sure the kitten has access to its room if it wants to hide.

When they are meeting face to face to this before:

1. Sprinkle them both with cornstarch baby powder and rub in the coats; or

2. Put a dab of vanilla extract on their chin and base of the tail.

Within a few weeks they should be fine together.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am for a slow intro too. I take my sweet time with my cats. What's the rush? My first intro went ok but there were some rocky patches because I rushed things. But when I brought the boys home I took it so slow that by the time they spent time together Mary was thrilled. She immediately started grooming them and mothering them. She swatted them a few times but it was for their own good.
Hey no matter how experienced you are there is no such thing as too much knowledge.

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ozzy seems to have calmed down a bit today. He's still wants nothing to do with the kitten but he's very interested in smelling the kitten's room and lurking around where he knows the kitten is. I've been keeping them separated, unless Ozzy gets stressed by not seeing the kitten. (He parks himself in front of the kitten's door, and meows until I open it). I have a baby gate up and Ozzy has jumped in a few times, sniffed the kitten and then immediately ran out of the room. He repeated this bizarre behavior a few times, all the while I sat closely by and scooped the kitten up when he seemed overwhelmed.

Thank you all so much for the advice, I'll definitely keep taking things slowly. I also brought the blanket that the kitten slept on last night and left it in Ozzy's room so he could check it out.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What can I do? What should I do? Is there any hope?
I've had to introduce two new cats (kittens at the time) to my household and so far, this method hasn't failed me.

Put the kitten in a carrier or cage of some kind, something big enough for food and a litter box. Put the cage in a corner, so he has a place to retreat if needed. Then basically leave him in there for a few days. You can take him out, but try to avoid having the other cat around when you do - give the new one a chance to get to know the place, stress-free. When it seems they've gotten used to each other through a cage wall, open the door. I wouldn't worry about Ozzy, he'll forgive you.

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update...The kitten is super sneaky. He managed to get out of his room (on dh's watch) I found him with Ozzy in the kitchen. They were batting at each other and being fairly playful. Everyonce in a while Ozzy would hiss and run away, but he would then come back and sniff, lick, bat and play some more.

Should I continue to keep them seperated or is this kind of supervised interaction ok?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Just wanted to update...The kitten is super sneaky. He managed to get out of his room (on dh's watch) I found him with Ozzy in the kitchen. They were batting at each other and being fairly playful. Everyonce in a while Ozzy would hiss and run away, but he would then come back and sniff, lick, bat and play some more.

Should I continue to keep them seperated or is this kind of supervised interaction ok?
sounds to me like definite progress!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Little by little. When you see Ozzy groom the kitten then you know you are in the clear.
Sounds promising already though.
A little batting is ok.

cat-bourne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen him groom him a few times...but then he always resumes the batting...(which I'm assuming is playful)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I've seen him groom him a few times...but then he always resumes the batting...(which I'm assuming is playful)
well, it could also be instructional - you know, "hey, i'm boss cat around here!"