Indoor Kitties are Safer

meezersmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had an experience a few days ago, that makes me glad I keep my 2 babies, Quincy & Quasar, inside the house at all times. I was driving home from work one afternoon, and saw a cat lying in the middle of this busy road, which had obviously just been hit by a car. The person who hit it appeared to be upset but did not stop to check the kitty out. I could see that it still had plenty of life left in it, and could not bear to leave the poor thing lying there, when it might get hurt even worse, so I doubled back, put the kitty in my car, and took it to a nearby veterinarian specialty center. Good thing I did, because the kitty wasn't badly hurt as it appeared, all they could find was one laceration. I'm glad it's going to be alright. They are transferring it to the local animal shelter, and I'm hoping someone sees fit to adopt the kitty and give it a decent home.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kits are outdoors and have never had any accidents. It'd be better if they were inside, I know, but it's useless trying to convince my parents. However, as soon as I'm able to move out (four more years
) I'm taking them all with me to live inside.

I'm glad the kitty was alright, and I really hope it finds a good home!

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time to pick up this dear lucky kitty!! I always feel horrible when I see a dead one on the road.... I've stopped more then once to just make sure, but I've yet to find one alive

I hope if this is someone's lost cat, they are reunited with it! I don't let mine outside under any circumstances, but accidents can happen, and I know I'd be heartbroken!

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even inside can be dangerous too. Poisons, small things to choke on, something accidently falling on them or trapping them, fire if your house goes on fire, fight with another pet, etc...

Most of those things usually dont happen, but an accident can happen indoors or out.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine stay in too. Years ago my Brothers saw a Cat get hit by a Car. The lady was not going to stop but my brothers yeslled at her. She said she would report she hit it but didnt. we tried to call a Vet but it died in front of my Brothers. They were Kids then. I am so glad I didnt see that I would have cried there.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Even inside can be dangerous too. Poisons, small things to choke on, something accidently falling on them or trapping them, fire if your house goes on fire, fight with another pet, etc...

Most of those things usually dont happen, but an accident can happen indoors or out.
While this is true, we've never lost an indoor cat to anything prematurely, nor has my sister, nor my brother, and we're talking a total of 10+ cats who have all made it to 15 years.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw one hit n the road a few days ago, and turned around to check on it. It was obviously gone, but by the time I got back to it, an elderly gentleman on a bicycle had picked it up, and was gently placing it in a bag for burial. He thanked me for stopping and said he would bury it, since all God's creatures deserve a proper burial.
On the happier side, when I had a momma cat that would have her litters at my house then move on had been hit close by my house. A girl I knew had pulled her out of the road and placed her on the grass to come tell me. I went to get her, and she was gone. She showed up a few hours later at my back door. She had lost her litter, but was alive, and not even seriously injured otherwise. I think Fred came from her next litter. I never saw her again except just here and there around the neighborhood, after Fred and his brother came to live with me. I think she found a real home, as she looked well cared for, and was developing that spay sway.