Shedding season is here....oh joy

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching TV and petting my pug, and the next think I knew I had a new pet, named Hairball. Time to fire up the vaccuum cleaner on full speed and hope I don't burn it up! The cats actually aren't too bad. Harley sheds all the time, but the rest are pretty moderate. But I'm dreading to see what kind of fur will come off of Brooke (Samoyeed) and Skuttles (lab/australian shepard mix). This is the first spring they have been with us.

Anyone need a job as a housekeeper?? Please???

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a Furminator? http://www.furminator.com/

Maddie is a hairball too, unfortunately a pug trait.
She's blowing her coat right now as well, and boy the furminator has helped big time. I got mine at our local ranch supply store..... I think I paid $32 for it. I didn't know if it would work that great when I bought it, but it lived up to it's promise.

I couldn't even imagine having four dogs at once going through a spring shed.... lucky you!

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get to witness the 'wonders' of shedding season - my dog is nonshedding until he needs a clip and the cats are outdoors (I really wish they weren't though
). It sounds like you're having a ball with it, though...

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 3 cats that go inside and out +
1 very fluffy persian who will not let you near her. (bad rescue)
1 " " himmy who took to Molly ^ and copies her behaviour.
1 " " dollface persian who is the typical persian personality.
(you may touch me now)
and Lola, a calico short hair with a tender sweet personality.
AND a fawn pug and a new black pug boy.

I am up to my eyeballs in FURRRR!

It would take me a week to Furminater them all.
And those are expensive!

Maybe when I get paid my first check in 2 weeks.

I am thinking about shaving them all!! J/K!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bijou's Mom

Have you tried a Furminator? http://www.furminator.com/

Maddie is a hairball too, unfortunately a pug trait.
She's blowing her coat right now as well, and boy the furminator has helped big time. I got mine at our local ranch supply store..... I think I paid $32 for it. I didn't know if it would work that great when I bought it, but it lived up to it's promise.

I couldn't even imagine having four dogs at once going through a spring shed.... lucky you!
Wow, I definitely have to try that. I've seen them before and keep meaning to pick one up. The problem I would have is trying to get my dogs to stand still for a good brushing. Yeah, my dogs are good...but not THAT good. I've been brushing them, but the hair still seems to fly all over the place. Does that actually make the hair stay together, or is it just the type of dog in the picture?

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my cats are shedding. Midnight is black so I don't notice it as much but Maui is white and it's everywhere. All I have to do it pet them once and I instantly have fur stuck to my hands. All 3 of my guinea pigs are also shedding. The only thing that isn't is my rat Oscar.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You get shedding in seasons?! You lucky thing! Good grief I would give anything to just get it in seasons..... we get it all year round!!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, shedding season here too, except it started a few weeks ago. If you get a furminator be careful not to brush too much in one spot or you'll bald your pet (I had an incident with Kinky where he was nearly bald, he didnt seem to mind though). They do work amazing but the fur seems to fly around still, I roll it between my hands to ball it up so its not so floaty.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Wow, I definitely have to try that. I've seen them before and keep meaning to pick one up. The problem I would have is trying to get my dogs to stand still for a good brushing. Yeah, my dogs are good...but not THAT good. I've been brushing them, but the hair still seems to fly all over the place. Does that actually make the hair stay together, or is it just the type of dog in the picture?
When I groom Maddie, the hair flies everywhere! You should probably do it outside if you get a furminater.
I think the dog in the demo just has different hair than a pug. I do notice that when I use the Furminater, that once in awhile I have to stop and pick a gob of hair out of the teeth. Is buttercup a singlecoat or a doublecoat pug? Maddie is a doublecoat, so lucky me, I get to deal with twice as much shedding.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought a FURminator tonight. I could not wait to use it, and I'm extremely impressed. The new addition to the home has a shedding issue currently, and I figured that maybe the $34 I paid would help in one way or another.

It does keep all the fur in the metal teeth until you remove the clumps from the brush. My long-hair had a bit of static going on with it, but it wasn't really much of an issue.

Also, the FURminator can easily pull off large amounts of hair from the coat with one swipe...so standing still for a couple mintues may be enough to help, and then you can try more later,

Good luck!

Originally Posted by calico2222