Ten days in a hotel room!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This comes under care, not grooming. I am moving out of this house next Friday and my new house will not be ready to move into until ten days after that. I will have new questions about moving into the new house but for now I will keep it to the hotel.

I rented a "suite" one that has a separate bedroom soley because of the cats. I wanted to give them as much room as possible. But we will be going from 2400 square feet to 240 square feet so the cats are going to feel cramped. Not to mention myself. I will be in the room with them almost all the time. Anybody been in a situation like this before? Any suggestions on how to make this transistion less stressful on the cats?

After those ten days, they will be moving into a three story townhome so they are really going to be confused. I will keep you updated from the hotel room.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

This comes under care, not grooming. I am moving out of this house next Friday and my new house will not be ready to move into until ten days after that. I will have new questions about moving into the new house but for now I will keep it to the hotel.

I rented a "suite" one that has a separate bedroom soley because of the cats. I wanted to give them as much room as possible. But we will be going from 2400 square feet to 240 square feet so the cats are going to feel cramped. Not to mention myself. I will be in the room with them almost all the time. Anybody been in a situation like this before? Any suggestions on how to make this transistion less stressful on the cats?

After those ten days, they will be moving into a three story townhome so they are really going to be confused. I will keep you updated from the hotel room.
Feliway is a beautiful thing. When I moved from Chicago to Portland, I drove myself and my two furkids across country in a junky van... they had a cage that i constructed out of those storage cube things you can get at Target... they had way less that 240 sq ft, for six days. They adjusted... hated movement, but were cool at night when we were camped in each state.

As I said, Feliway, preferably the plugins, are an excellent tool. Start it at home while you're packing up the last couple days... the nbring it to the hotel room... let them loose in the bathroom and then once they've explored the bathroom, let them loose in the rest of the room...

i assume you've picked a pet-friendly hotel? And that the staff are aware of the cats? Because if not, housekeeping and your cats will be in for a big surprise... Then, when the new house is ready, repeat the process for the second transition...

they'll do fine... cats are more resilient little critters than we realize...

Let us know how things go.

Amanda

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats will be fine - its a "new" place to explore. My cats loved staying in hotel rooms for a nite or two. I'm sure they would be fine for a longer time. Just get out plenty of toys and use the ones with lines/rods on them to get them to exercise up and over the beds, etc.

YOU will feel more cramped then the cats will

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Feliway is a beautiful thing. When I moved from Chicago to Portland, I drove myself and my two furkids across country in a junky van... they had a cage that i constructed out of those storage cube things you can get at Target... they had way less that 240 sq ft, for six days. They adjusted... hated movement, but were cool at night when we were camped in each state.

As I said, Feliway, preferably the plugins, are an excellent tool. Start it at home while you're packing up the last couple days... the nbring it to the hotel room... let them loose in the bathroom and then once they've explored the bathroom, let them loose in the rest of the room...

i assume you've picked a pet-friendly hotel? And that the staff are aware of the cats? Because if not, housekeeping and your cats will be in for a big surprise... Then, when the new house is ready, repeat the process for the second transition...

they'll do fine... cats are more resilient little critters than we realize...

Let us know how things go.
Amanda
Thanks, Amanda - I am on my way to Petco now. Yes, I have a pet friendly hotel, the owners have cats so we are lucky there. I will follow your advice and put the litter box in the bathroom along with the cats and the Feliway. I really don't know what this stuff does but I have heard so much about it that I am confident I need it!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks, Amanda - I am on my way to Petco now. Yes, I have a pet friendly hotel, the owners have cats so we are lucky there. I will follow your advice and put the litter box in the bathroom along with the cats and the Feliway. I really don't know what this stuff does but I have heard so much about it that I am confident I need it!
Feliway is a pheromone for cats. It helps calm them in situations like this. I hope I catch you before you leave... go to the Petsmart website, print out the page for the plug-in and bring it with you... the store price is higher than the web price... and they do honor their own website...

Amanda

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I moved with my cats across the country, we moved out of our apartment, cleaned it up and got a part of our deposit back. We were driving across the country, so we put all of our stuff in the car and my mother was nice enough to let us use her bedroom for a day or two. Artemis and Athena were restricted to my mother's small extra bedroom, and it ended up being for about three or four days, because Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, and obstructed our planned path.

They behaved pretty strangely (Artemis was friendly with all human comers, which she never is, and they hissed at each other), and they slept a lot, because there wasn't room to do anything else. But they were fine.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought was Feliway, too. I don't think Persi and Alley will mind the "cramped" space at the hotel - they'll probably feel more secure if confined to the bathroom and bedroom in a strange place. You can always let them explore the rest of the suite when you and/or your wife are there.

Another thing you could try is Bach's floral essences. I thought they were "bunk" before four new indoor/outdoor cats moved into our neighborhood, and two neighbors' cats, Miezi and Gizmo, became timid and aggressive, respectively. Since most of the activity was centered around our yard with all its catnip, I was at wits' end, and got some pre-mixed essences at a pet store in the city where I work. Incredibly, they helped. I've recently discovered that one of the pharmacies in our one-horse town will also mix the essences in a pet-friendly form containing no alcohol.

TCS has a guest this coming week, a holistic vet who's apparently very knowledgable about essences - perhaps you could ask her to recommend specific mixtures, and the best way to administer them? Miezi just licked the drops off the top of her paw, while Gizmo got them in his canned food. I tried both ways on Jamie, but that was a "no go".
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60

At worst, the essences won't have any effect, but are worth a try.

I take it you'll have your laptop, so that you can post here if the "confinement" is driving you crazy?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I take it you'll have your laptop, so that you can post here if the "confinement" is driving you crazy?
Absolutely! I have to keep KatKwiz going! I will also have a large filthy book with me, (see Paws and Reflect). And my cats, what more could I want? I will ask about the essences, thank you!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cats have always seemed extremely easygoing. I don't think you'll have a bit of problem, esp when they move into their new castle!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a feliway plugin once and Garfie backed up and peed on it

But anyhow! I moved from Washington (state) to Maine and my six cats and two dogs (and me) stayed in a camper (the kind that go on a pickup, tiny) they were pretty upset for the first day and didnt really eat or drink much but once they got used to it everything was fine. I think as long as they have their litter box and food/water dishes they'll probably adjust within a few hours.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're worried more than you have to be lol. I think you'll have a bigger issue with being cramped than the cats will. Cats as a whole adjust pretty easily to change.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between apartments I once had to move back in with my parents for a month. My poor Shalimar(RB) was in a 12x12 room the entire time. She had a better time of it than I did. She didn't have to put up with her parent's house rules after 10 yrs living on her own.

Be sure to spend some time playing with your cats.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant add anything to what's already been said. My family (in it's younger-2-kids stage) stayed in a hotel room once while we were waiting for our house to be ready also. Two weeks, and we made the mistake of not approving the cat first - ended up losing our deposit
Which is funny considering my then-4-year old was more of a risk factor than the cat

But everyone's right, the cat did fine, it was the humans that went stir-crazy!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

I think you're worried more than you have to be lol. I think you'll have a bigger issue with being cramped than the cats will. Cats as a whole adjust pretty easily to change.
I think you are half right. I think Persi will adapt immediately but Alley will be terrified. She is so afraid of everything but I have my Feliway diffuser ready!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Make that 12 days. Been here in the room for an hour. Ripped open the Feliway packet and found something they didn't bother telling you on the outside: You will begin to notice a difference in behavior after 4 weeks. I wanted something to help me NOW. Well, both cats are under the bed. At least Persi has came out to look around. Should I pull Alley from under the bed and make her stay in the bathroom? There is NOT enough room to put the litter box in the bathroom. However, this is a suite and I have the doors shut that come out into the living and kitchen areas so they only have the bedroom and bathroom to worry about. I have the Feliway going but am very disappointed in what is NOT announced on the outside of the package.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are feeling safe under the bed, absolutely leave them there.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Feliway, so can't help you with that.

Rest assured, they will get used to the hotel soon. (Maybe for values of "soon" equal to one day minus the amount of time you'll be there
, but they'll still be fine!)

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually notice it within a day or so... I thought i said something about putting it in at home for a few days first... hmmm...

There's also the little spray bottle of Feliway... for 'emergency' use... I pull those out at the shelter when some roommates in the colony rooms aren't quite getting along... they do much better afterward. There's also stuff for the water/food... etc... I was using these things for about two years, I'm a pro.

If this is the first day... give them some time... overnight usually helps... it's a new environment... they need to adjust to the smells and sounds... and the layout.

Amanda

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure the food, water and litter pan are within sight of the bed. In a day or two they may surprise you.

I had no idea bout the Feliway - glad you mentioned it!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The first time I used Feliway within a few hours I found a very calm Abby sleeping on the floor right under where it was plugged in. I don't buy that it takes 4 weeks.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

The first time I used Feliway within a few hours I found a very calm Abby sleeping on the floor right under where it was plugged in. I don't buy that it takes 4 weeks.
After about two hours, Persi had figured out how to open the door into the living/kitchen area and came in and joined us people. Alley stayed uner the bed but did come out during the night to use the litter box. Also this morning she has been coming out from under the bed for a few seconds at a time to check things out so something seems to be working!