Sinus Infection, Ear Infection, AND Bronchitis, just shoot me now!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those people that think you CAN'T be allergic to smoke, I'm living proof! I've asked so many people to please not smoke around me, or smoke outside if they want me to come over. They always say, "no one is allergic to smoke!"

I went to the doctor yesterday, because I felt like crud. I had already guessed sinus infection and ear infection because I get that every time I'm in a smokey area, but Bronchitis on top of all that! I'm on 3000mg of anit-biotics everyday for a week and then half that every day for another week.

Not only that, but the doctor thinks I might have asthma now!!!! No one in my family has asthma and I know nothing about it. She gave me an inhaler because I'm struggling so bad!

Does anyone have asthma? Use an inhaler? She says I may need to use the inhaler anytime I'm around smoke and have issues with breathing.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and I could be twins! Smoke really bothers me. Whenever I end up with an upper respiratory infection, I wind up with bronchitis and an acute asthma attack. I usually have to get a breathing treatment when I go to the urgent care, because my O2 saturation drops down to the mid 80's to low 90's. Then I'm usually given a prescription for antibiotics and albuterol inhalers. It seems to be getting worse now that smoking is pretty much prohibited in public places. It's almost like I'm hypersensitive, now that I rarely get exposed to it. Good luck...hope you're feeling better soon!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

For those people that think you CAN'T be allergic to smoke, I'm living proof! I've asked so many people to please not smoke around me, or smoke outside if they want me to come over. They always say, "no one is allergic to smoke!"

I went to the doctor yesterday, because I felt like crud. I had already guessed sinus infection and ear infection because I get that every time I'm in a smokey area, but Bronchitis on top of all that! I'm on 3000mg of anit-biotics everyday for a week and then half that every day for another week.

Not only that, but the doctor thinks I might have asthma now!!!! No one in my family has asthma and I know nothing about it. She gave me an inhaler because I'm struggling so bad!

Does anyone have asthma? Use an inhaler? She says I may need to use the inhaler anytime I'm around smoke and have issues with breathing.
Compared to me, you sound healthy. I have asthma, I have a sinus infection, and I went to the doctor yesterday and it turns out I have bronchitis and I have the flu
. And all this right before final exams.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geesh, that really stinks. I hope you feel better soon Smoke is gross to be around and obviously not good for you either.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, as a smoker -
what do those people mean, you can't be allergic to smoke? people are allergic to all kinds of things - i personally am allergic to many perfumes... & i suspect i'm somewhat allergic to the cats, because i have less nasal issues when i'm away from them for a few days [like on a vacation, etc.]. those people who say things like that are the ones who think those of us who are allergic are just 'making it up'!
my ex sil was like that - she continued to use a fragrance i couldn't be around

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's miserable. I've been there before... my heart goes out to you. I've had asthma all my life (since I was two) and asthmatics have to also be careful of viruses since they trigger attacks. Sinus washes (also called sinus rinses) have been a lifesaver for me. If you get the gook out, it won't be able to spread to your ears and lungs. I do sinus washes twice a day at the first sign of a cold or tingling in my sinuses, since I have a compromised immune system and when I get sick, I down way down way fast.

I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you Prednisone for the bronchitis - it also helps with the ear infections, I've found. Hope you are better soon!

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are feeling so bad.
I have reaction towards smoke but nothing like that. I just end up dizzy and with a horrible headache. I pray you feel better really soon. I have a brother with asthma but do not know much about it myself.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! How awful! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

I have asthma and use an inhaler. They're no big deal and really easy to use. If it's the canniser type that dispenses a fine powder, I strongly recommend using an "Aero Chamber" to take the medication. Instead of inhaling the medication direcly, you inject it into a "chamber" and then breath the medication from that. You get a much better effect from it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

You and I could be twins! Smoke really bothers me. Whenever I end up with an upper respiratory infection, I wind up with bronchitis and an acute asthma attack. I usually have to get a breathing treatment when I go to the urgent care, because my O2 saturation drops down to the mid 80's to low 90's. Then I'm usually given a prescription for antibiotics and albuterol inhalers. It seems to be getting worse now that smoking is pretty much prohibited in public places. It's almost like I'm hypersensitive, now that I rarely get exposed to it. Good luck...hope you're feeling better soon!
We should be twins!!! I'm on antibiotics and the albuterol inhalers right now. I'm not sure if that's different from any other inhalers. They are a wonderful thing though! I feel so much better after I use it.

Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Compared to me, you sound healthy. I have asthma, I have a sinus infection, and I went to the doctor yesterday and it turns out I have bronchitis and I have the flu
. And all this right before final exams.
Oh no!
You must be miserable!

Originally Posted by laureen227

ok, as a smoker -
what do those people mean, you can't be allergic to smoke? people are allergic to all kinds of things - i personally am allergic to many perfumes... & i suspect i'm somewhat allergic to the cats, because i have less nasal issues when i'm away from them for a few days [like on a vacation, etc.]. those people who say things like that are the ones who think those of us who are allergic are just 'making it up'!
I'm not kidding at all! They think I'm just exaggerating and keep smoking. It's not till they see me like this that they believe me
I forgot to mention I also get larengitis every time.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Oh, that's miserable. I've been there before... my heart goes out to you. I've had asthma all my life (since I was two) and asthmatics have to also be careful of viruses since they trigger attacks. Sinus washes (also called sinus rinses) have been a lifesaver for me. If you get the gook out, it won't be able to spread to your ears and lungs. I do sinus washes twice a day at the first sign of a cold or tingling in my sinuses, since I have a compromised immune system and when I get sick, I down way down way fast.

I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you Prednisone for the bronchitis - it also helps with the ear infections, I've found. Hope you are better soon!
I've never heard of a sinus wash?

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ugh! How awful! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

I have asthma and use an inhaler. They're no big deal and really easy to use. If it's the canniser type that dispenses a fine powder, I strongly recommend using an "Aero Chamber" to take the medication. Instead of inhaling the medication direcly, you inject it into a "chamber" and then breath the medication from that. You get a much better effect from it.
I've seen that chamber thing. I've never used an inhaler till yesterday and it's the kind that blows the fine powder....it kind of stinks! I'll have to look into one of those chambers.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your nice words! It makes me feel a little bit better!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EEEw hun that really sucks
I've fortunately never had the problem, but my son has had trouble with it and has an inhaler. It's really scary
And as for other people smoking around you, that's just downright rude if they can't respect that it gives you problems. Practically every indoor space in Denmark is now smoke-free - and it's wonderful to be able to go out to a restaurant or a bar and come home smelling just as good as you did when you left. No more stingy eyes, smokey hair and clothes... it's fab! It's brought out an entirely new group of customers. And a larger one, at that! The only downside is that there are more people smoking in the streets - they're no longer allowed to stand in doorways either. You need to move!!

I hope it eases up over a while though - I've heard that it does in some people. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I hope you feel better soon

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had an ear infectin & the flu at once....that made me miserable I can't imagine how crummy you feel!

I do not tolerate smoke well, at all. I get a massive headache & if around it enough will throw up.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is you have some very rude friends. I'm a smoker, but if someone comes over that has a problem with smoke (and I always ask), I go outside.

We have some nasty things being passed back and forth at work, including sinus infections, bronchitis (I'm on antibiotics for that and sinus as well) as well as a fun little stomach thing that luckily I haven't caught yet (knock on wood). Mine started out with a sinus infection and drained into my lungs. I've been fighting this for almost 3 weeks. Maybe part of your sickness is just the change of the seasons. I almost always get either sinus or bronchitis this time of year. Hopefully, as the season gets longer you will feel better.

Sending many get well vibes your way.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

ok, as a smoker -
Good thing she is you ex sil

I hope everyone feels better. Our poor daughter came home from college for spring break and she is sick and miserable. She'll probably be better late in the week just in time to go back to school.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I officially have my 5th upper respiratory infection since November. I'm getting sick of being sick. I have never been this sick, so many times in one year. I just don't get it!!! Usually it's just once in the fall, and once in the spring. This has been just about non-stop since Thanksgiving. I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BE BETTER BY THURSDAY!!!...I don't want them to cancel my final facet block 'cuz I'm sick!!! AARRGGGHHHH!!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I officially have my 5th upper respiratory infection since November. I'm getting sick of being sick. I have never been this sick, so many times in one year. I just don't get it!!! Usually it's just once in the fall, and once in the spring. This has been just about non-stop since Thanksgiving. I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BE BETTER BY THURSDAY!!!...I don't want them to cancel my final facet block 'cuz I'm sick!!! AARRGGGHHHH!!!!
Oh my goodness!!!! That is aweful!!! Has your doctor ever talked with you about sinus surgery? I've heard both good and bad things about the surgery, but if I were you I might consider it!!!!

katstewart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG I swear we are triplets!!! LOL
I get reoccuring bronchitis and ear infections!!! I was recently diagnosed with Asthma last month and prescribed me Flovent 2x a day and Albuterol for emergency attacks.
I HATE having those!!

And I totally agree with you.. I'm also living proof that is allergic to smoking. Some smokers say "there's no such a thing as being allergic to smoking!" It makes me sooo mad! I CANNOT breathe when i'm in smoking area. I feel like DYING around smokers who are smoking near me!!!!

Hope you are feeling better SOON!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear I have a welcome mat on my head for respiratory viruses and other bugs... I get sinus infections... bronchitis, etc.

My brother is a doctor - he described by sinuses as a "chronic focus". Thanks, I didn't already know that?