See shoplifting..what would you do?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On another site I am on there is a discussion on this subject. And I have to say I was saddened by most of the responses that ranged from Do nothing, to applaud her, to had her a shirt you want and have her steal if for you etc. Which got me to thinking do most people feel this way. Me personally if I see shoplifting I at least report it to an employee. If they chose to do nothing so be it but I can not turn a blind eye. One because its legal to steal and Two shoplifting punishes everyone when the prices go up. So my question here is what would you do if you see someone shopping.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

On another site I am on there is a discussion on this subject. And I have to say I was saddened by most of the responses that ranged from Do nothing, to applaud her, to had her a shirt you want and have her steal if for you etc. Which got me to thinking do most people feel this way. Me personally if I see shoplifting I at least report it to an employee. If they chose to do nothing so be it but I can not turn a blind eye. One because its legal to steal and Two shoplifting punishes everyone when the prices go up. So my question here is what would you do if you see someone shopping.
As a teen, I was given the "gift" of a shop lifted shirt from a mall store. I told my Mom, and we retuned it.

If I saw shoplifting I'd tell a store worker. There's just something really wrong about it.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Heather. I, too, would report it. Shoplift is just a pleasant word for stealing, which is wrong, against the law, immoral, etc. It doesn't matter the circumstance, it's wrong.

A guy I once dated posed a question to me about stealing. He gave the scenario of a poor mother who didn't have enough money to buy food for her children. He asked me if I thought her taking a loaf of bread to feed her children would be considered stealing. I said yes. I told him that while I could understand why she might do it, it's still stealing. He disagreed with me. He told me that if it didn't harm anyone else, it was ok. WTH?!

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I agree with Heather. I, too, would report it. Shoplift is just a pleasant word for stealing, which is wrong, against the law, immoral, etc. It doesn't matter the circumstance, it's wrong.

A guy I once dated posed a question to me about stealing. He gave the scenario of a poor mother who didn't have enough money to buy food for her children. He asked me if I thought her taking a loaf of bread to feed her children would be considered stealing. I said yes. I told him that while I could understand why she might do it, it's still stealing. He disagreed with me. He told me that if it didn't harm anyone else, it was ok. WTH?!
Lol, just because you can justify it doesn't change what it is. If I smack my cat's head for doing something wrong, I'm still physically harming them regardless of if I had a good reason to do it or not.

See I'm the meanie who doesn't report it but loudly proclaim, "Oh it's nice that you're trying to take that without paying for it" or something equally embarrassing so everyone around us turns around and stares at the shoplifter.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I'd tell him to stop reading Les MisÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]rables, and stop trying to justify taking things that aren't his.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in the past I would have said I'd report it, but just a couple of weeks ago I saw an incident of shoplifting that caused me to feel pain in my heart and turn a blind eye to the perps: A quite elderly couple, obviously in dire straights, stealing meat from the meat counter at the grocery store.

I approached them (I was looking for a steak) just as they turned away from the counter and the man was zipping up his coat of many pockets - up to his chin. They both quickly glanced at me, I saw guilt on their faces, but I saw NEED, so I simply turned the other way and let them move on without blowing the whistle.

All I could think of was that their money went to pay for shelter and medication, and therefore who am I to report them. Yes, maybe it wasn't ethical of me, maybe not reporting them makes me as guilty as they are, but I'm sure they didn't completely enjoy that steak that evening. I'm positive that they wish that they hadn't had to steal it to eat.

And I really hope that they don't have to resort to stealing in the future, although I know that their reality isn't going to get any better in the short term.

The USA can't take care of its own. We are up the creek without a paddle and it's only going to get worse.

I myself have just lost my job - my company has failed and is closing the doors.

So I guess my compassion level overrides my ethics. It isn't ethical that grandma and grandpa should be forced to steal to survive. And I sure as heck won't be the one to turn them in - what good would that do anyone.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and No.

When i see elderly people steal, i wont report them, our young community doesnt do much to support them and the government doesnt regard them as useful anyway, the amount they get for their pension is hardly anything so how are they supposed to live?

When i was younger and living in Australia, we saw an older woman shop lifting meat. at the counter she was just before us in line, and they caught her stealing. It broke my mothers heart and told the people she would pay for the woman because it wasnt much, but then the police came and took her away to the police station.

I dont approve of the people my age or those who have a job that steal. Because they can work and pay for things.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The items stolen have to be paid for somehow, so prices go up. Businesses have to try to predict how much shoplifting they will have and price accordingly.
So there is no basis to the shoplifting hurts no one.

Wrong is wrong.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
takes a BIIIG gulp and says
"i USED too be in with a bad crowd who stole and i wanted too fit in!"
now if i see youths stealing id just take them aside tell them i saw what they were doing explain that what ever reason theyre doing it they can get help!
there isnt an excuse for it.........
although with some cases eg the elderly couple.... that i understand... its heartbreaking our countrys cant take care of there own, but i dont know about others, our country is spending thousands too house polish workers

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anybody who has a special coat for shoplifting isn't stealing out of need.

I report theft whenever I see it.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
haha this reminded me aswell of a man i saw once who had HUGE trousers he stuffed a Big pack of beers into them god knows how his trousers stayed up:/ and the man at the till never saw it..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what it is that they are stealing.

If it's actual food items such as cheese, meat, bread, baby food/supplies etc...then no, I won't report it. However if it's junk food like chocolate bars, candy, chips, then yes. I'll also report non food items such as jewellery, electronics, CDs etc.

But if it's food stuff, no. Because they are likely doing it because they don't have any money and are too proud to go to a food bank or a soup kitchen for something to eat.

rickyd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that elderly couple obviously made a living out of shoplifting,im sure there is a lot of people that can't afford to buy the things they would like,hell if everyone did that the prices would rocket even more,i would have no problem reporting any shoplifter they are just thieves nothing more nothing less,why should people that buy their goods have to pay more to recover the loss that these shops have lost through people thinking they are above the law? We can all plead poverty,if they were not paying for their things what were they spending their money on? The way i look at it is why not save for what you want if you get caught you will get a fine for much more than the value of what you have stolen in the first place,i would love a new car hmmm do i have any pockets big enough i wonder?

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, from a former business owner........If it was someone stealing "necessary food", I'd first ask them if they were in need, and buy it for them if it was (mind you , you can tell by the way they respond to the question if they're lying or not). Otherwise, I'd turn 'em in quicker than your cat jumps on DaBird. Most places, if anyone, young or old came to the manager with a true need would give them enough to get by for a day or so.

That being said, I have a very very low opinion of shoplifters.......the last one we caught in our store was a young man of color (nevermind that the "typical" lifter is a middle aged white woman).....we knew he had a pair of wee baby shoes in his pocket, so when he tried to go out the door, the alarm went off, he stepped back, and the clerk and her assistant questioned him about them, and had the police called, when she did that, he threw them at her and ran off, knocking down the assistant (who happened to be my 90 year old grandpa who worked one day a week bagging shoes just to get out of the house) and ran ......across two parking lots and a street.......the funny ending to this is that he was caught, mainly because he was followed by a half dozen of our customers, one of whom was a lady on her cell phone telling 911 exactly where he was at all times!

When the police brought him back for identification purposes, he told my dad that he stole them because his kid needed them, to which my dad replied , "Son, if that's the case...the next time, just ask and we'll help."

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to report them. I worked at the Gap when I was in high school. We were taught how to spot a shoplifter and we caught one doing the drop the clothes into a special bag that goes between you legs.
Do you know who was the biggest shoplifter? It was one of our fellow employees. He always volunteered to take out the garbage. He was throwing out clothes with the garbage and had an accomplish pick it up. Guess where he wound up?

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever been in a place when someone shoplifted. I'd probably report it though, if I was. It always annoys the
out of me when I hear people who say stuff like "I stole ____ from the grocery store once because I was starving to death and had no money!"..

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with those that said stealing is stealing and it is wrong.

I understand some people are in need...but I was brought up that if you need something you find a way to get it. For example, get a JOB. Get TWO JOBS. Do whatever you have to to make ends meet. My mom was always a single mom of 3 when we were kids, and she always worked more than one job to provide for us.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would report them... Even if it was food they were stealing. There are several places, churches , food banks, etc., that will give you food if you need it. It may not be food you like to eat, but it is food.

The one time my mom caught my brother stealing a toy, she marched him right down to the store and had him give the toy back, and apologise right in front of everybody!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well actually it's not legal to steal, but I'll put that down to a typo
I would do the same as yourself and at least mention it to a member of staff. As you said, if they choose to do nothing, then at least that responsibility is no longer yours. I think if I didn't do anything, my conscience would really niggle at me for a looooooong time afterwards.