How often do you clip your cat's claws?

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been doing it once a week, but since mine is liking the idea of getting his claws done, I am thinking about reducing the frequently to every other week. How frequently do you clip your cat's claws?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I clip my kittens claws once a week...as they haven't yet decided that they only want to scratch their scratch posts...helps reduce the damage on other pieces of furniture.

My older cat, who doesn't scratch on anything but his scratch box/post gets his done every other week.
Art

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually about a week and a half will keep them under control.

I can't handle the back claws so whenever they go to the vet, I have them done there.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a week or so, but when we have shows coming up I let them grow out so I can get a good clipping in before the show.

I have to do back and front for showing, otherwise I'd probably just do the front ones.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually try and check them weekly and clip as necessary. Charlie gets his clipped before every show of course

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am usually too busy to do my girls every week. It is generally every other week unless one of them scratches me...lol I do clip both back and front on my girls.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once a week. Neither cat minds having their nails trimmed and they look forward to their dried salmon treats they get afterwards.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever it start posing a problem. I've gone a good couple months without having to clip them at all. As long as they're not getting stuck on things, hurting us or each other, I just let them wear it out themselves. None of them mind getting it cut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Usually about a week and a half will keep them under control.

I can't handle the back claws so whenever they go to the vet, I have them done there.
I found the rear ones easier on my cat, as he's less conscious about me handling his hinge legs.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't even bother with the back claws. They always wear them down on their own.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I only clip one of Jamie's claws, which he managed to rip out as a kitten, when it got caught in a radiator, and hence now grows in crookedly. I clip it about once a month. He takes care of the rest of his claws, and doesn't destroy the house with his scratching, so I don't bother.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chloe can get by with every 3 weeks or so but dang, patchy looks like wolverine after about 5 days!

davecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did my best to do daves every so often when he was a kitten. But as soon as he started going outside they didnt need doing any more.
I hadnt done them for at least a year.

I couldn't imaging taking a cat to a vet to be clipped as it seems more of a grooming job. But there are no feline groomers that I know of around my area.
When I get my next kitten he will need to be clipped regularly, and I would prefer not doing it myself this time around.

Does anyone know if a vet will charge if you take a cat in just to be trimmed?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clip 5 out of my 6 cats when needed. The 6th cat is Zoey my sweet little Bengal
. She is impossible to clip!! She is very naughty and mean when it comes to nails!! All the tricks of wrapping her in a towel and such does not work! I pay $5.00 to my vet to clip her nails. I live really close to our vet so it isn't a issue to just load her up and get her done! The 5.00 saves me alot of stress!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every 10 days to 2 weeks. My cats don't mind. I massage their paws as affection so when it comes time to clip they are fine with it. I give them treats after.