Look well the cat dragged in...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We received a new foster kiddie last night. I have been wrestling with myself regarding fostering two mom cats at the same time, but when I received the call, I gave in. Twix's litter will be 4 weeks old soon, so I reasoned the worths.

She came into the shelter a little dirty, battered (with some scratches on her face) and on the thin side, but hopefully with some love and patience she'll come around. When I brought her home yesterday she was very standoffish and growled at me continuously, but after some food, treats and persistence she's come around some. I sat on the floor while she perched above me on my bed and she actually began to purr when I pet her. I managed to feel a kitten move, but I was lucky to feel her belly long enough. As far as we can tell she is within the last two weeks of gestation. I tried to take pictures of her girth, at times she seemed tiny (considering the kicks of the kittens are definitely prominent) but in the last picture I took of her relaxing, she shows a bit of size. I think that the kittens are dropping further down and that is why it's hard to tell. When I felt the babies move, they were in her belly (as opposed to on her sides).

Did I mention that she's a polydactyl? Last year I fostered a short-haired brown tabby that had some polydactyls, she was the mother of my Squeaker, so we know that father of that litter was poly, and now this year we have this girl. She appears to be around 4 years old. The shelter was calling her Digit, but my girls have dubbed her Snickers (they say her name matches Twix's and that her paws make you snicker...)

I'll let you know how it goes. I have moved Twix and the kittens into my oldest daughter's room and Digit/Snickers is in my room. Digit is cautious enough that she is not attempting to escape my room, but Twix has gone to the bedroom door and sniffed the cracks a few times already. Cross your fingers that I am not getting in over my head and that Digit's kittens are healthy despite her moms toilsome pregnancy up to this point.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless your heart for opening your home to this calico beauty.

I will be watching for your updates.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous. Good luck with her. Having two litters isn't THAT hard. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

She is gorgeous. Good luck with her. Having two litters isn't THAT hard. lol
Yeah, right Lindsey, I remember your Olive and Sophie checking each others babes out. I think the hard part here will be that the two cats dont know each other. Twix is just now warming up to my resident cats. She seems to get along with Roly fine, but she does not tolerate Squeaker too well. This makes socializing the kittens a bit harder. When I first introduces the kittens to Chewbacca, our dog, I was surprised how well she took it. I think Chewy was more scared than she was. When Roly came to sniff out the whining babes, she didnt bulk again, but when Squeak came around she chased her out of the room.

Now we make sure Squeak is confined to another room when we bring the kittens out. When the kittens are in their nest, Squeak and Twix bear with each other, but Twix is still trepidatious. I wonder if it's a male-female thing, or if it's a personality conflict. We shall see after the kittens are weaned and adopted.

As for Digit/Snickers... she'll stay confined to my room until after the kittens are born, and the resident cats can get to know her through the crack under the door for now

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. As of now Sophie and Olive share a box and share the responsibilites of nursing the babies.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

Sounds like a plan. As of now Sophie and Olive share a box and share the responsibilites of nursing the babies.
I bet that's a cute site! Do share a pic if you catch them together with camera!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she's so pretty!

Lots of kitten pictures, please..

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update, Digit/Snickers (really need to decide on what to call her
) is settling in fine. Still hasnt tried to escape the room, despite one of my sons leaving the bedroom door open! It was open approximately 5 minutes before I discovered it. She was merely sitting on my bed eying the door way.

Twix has stopped stalking the crack under the closed door and besides having yet another kitty litter box to clean and another dish to fill, no one is the wiser.

Snickers actually cuddled up in bed with me last night. You gotta love a pregnant cat's personality. She purred her little head off while she got the pet-down
She's still hanging in there, kiddie-wise... she's only just sniffed the two nesting boxes I have set up for her, and she wont even acknowledge the accursed crate that brought her to the 12 x 12 chamber! If I had to guess, I would say she'll deliver within the week... but I tend to be overly-optimistic in my predictions, so we shall see.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's still hanging in there, I probably could've bet on it. I am almost always anxious and guess too early every time. I do expect it to be any day now though. Her belly is touching the floor, and this afternoon I went in there and she was laying in her box. But now she's on the floor...

She's come around a lot. She doesnt care for my husband much (must be a man thing), so good thing he's out of town a lot
But she likes to get in my face and actually demands that I rub her belly now. She will take her paw, thumbs and all, and guide my hand to her belly. She loves the rub down, but the girl sheds like crazy! I dont know where all the hair is coming from! And this from the meowmy of 3 longhairs! Her fur is extra soft though. She isnt exactly a short hair, but she is... it's not REAL short... but not as long as my resident cats who I consider medium-hair. Actually her fur is thick and reminds me kind of like an angora rabbit.

I'll have to put more pictures of her up. I take them almost nightly, mostly cuzI cant believe how fast her tummy grows! I am guessing she will have an odd number of kittens because her belly is so lopsided it's comical. Been trying to get a good pic of it, but she's not exactly cooperative.

Anyway.... I've gone on enough. Thanks for asking!!!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

She's still hanging in there, I probably could've bet on it. I am almost always anxious and guess too early every time. I do expect it to be any day now though. Her belly is touching the floor, and this afternoon I went in there and she was laying in her box. But now she's on the floor...

She's come around a lot. She doesnt care for my husband much (must be a man thing), so good thing he's out of town a lot
But she likes to get in my face and actually demands that I rub her belly now. She will take her paw, thumbs and all, and guide my hand to her belly. She loves the rub down, but the girl sheds like crazy! I dont know where all the hair is coming from! And this from the meowmy of 3 longhairs! Her fur is extra soft though. She isnt exactly a short hair, but she is... it's not REAL short... but not as long as my resident cats who I consider medium-hair. Actually her fur is thick and reminds me kind of like an angora rabbit.

I'll have to put more pictures of her up. I take them almost nightly, mostly cuzI cant believe how fast her tummy grows! I am guessing she will have an odd number of kittens because her belly is so lopsided it's comical. Been trying to get a good pic of it, been she's not exactly cooperative.

Anyway.... I've gone on enough. Thanks for asking!!!
Thanks for the update! Sophie had a very lopsided belly too but had 4 kittens.
Olive was also shedding like that during her pregnancy! It drove me crazy. I had to change the blankets in her nest box every day after they were born too because they would be fuzzy blankets after she layed on them. lol Thankfully she isn't shedding much anymore. Good luck with the upcoming litter and be sure to post pictures! I bet she will have beautiful kittens.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

sounds like Mouse's coat. does her coat 'break' like a RB's?
Russian Blue coat characteristics
p.s. - scroll down to the description!
I'm going to go up and check now

Short, dense, fine, and plush; double coat stands out from body due to density; distinct soft and silky feel
That describes it well... although I'm not sure about the double coat part... and the Russian Blue descrition says something about silver tipping on the guard hairs... Digits does have guard hairs, but I havent paid attention to any particular color, although I notice most of her guard hairs are white. I noticed the other night, it's kinda strange how they are so much longer than the rest of her fur. Digit is a calico, but I think she is a smoke, as her black and orange fur is white at the base. Hmmm...

I'll be back

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it actually does "break" or part. I suppose I noticed it before, but just didnt know it was a characteristic
When I pet her, I love to rub her fur the wrong way
just to see it stand up.

Here's a pic of her hair smoothed down, and a pic of me "ruffling her feathers".

now some pics of her belly
She reminds me of a weeble wobble when she rolls over

Now just a pretty pic and one of the fur parting on her back (you can see where I just ran my fingers through)

Thanks for pointing it out Laureen, I thought there was something different about her fur, but wasnt sure if I was describing it well enough.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous! She has really gotten big since those first pictures you posted! Has she gotten any bagging yet?