Why Wellness Dry = Diarrhea?

mercury_quirks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new cat, Bandit, used to be fed a PMI Nutrition brand of cat food, but I wanted to switch him to Wellness because I can get that easily. I fairly slowly (though I could have done it slower) transitioned him from his old food to Wellness Dry (first kitten, but then switched to Adult Indoor). He had diarrhea =/ I thought maybe it was the antibiotics he was on and he had two fecals done that were negative. Finally, I took him off Wellness dry and just fed him Grain Free Wellness canned, and he was immediately better!

However, his breath has gotten worse and canned food is quite expensive to be feeding an entire can every day. I can't figure out why he's fine on Wellness Canned but can't tolerate Wellness Dry.

Old food ingredients (http://www.pminutrition.com/ Exclusive line, either normal adult or light adult, can't remember which he was on):
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, brewers rice, corn gluten
meal, powdered cellulose, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a form of vitamin E),
natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, fish meal, potassium chloride, methionine,
salt, choline chloride, taurine, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate,
copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6),vitamin B12 supplement,
manganese oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

New food (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w..._health.html):
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Whitefish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Oat Fiber, Chicken Liver, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Cranberries, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta
Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, L-Carnitine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophil us, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may be allergic to something in the Wellness. I see the Wellness has Whitefish and the old food doesn't. Allergy to fish maybe? I know our cats will not eat anything with fish or seafood.

Sharky is our food guru and knows mucho about ingredients, so hang tight and she'll probably be able to advise you when she logs on.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mercury_quirks

My new cat, Bandit, used to be fed a PMI Nutrition brand of cat food, but I wanted to switch him to Wellness because I can get that easily. I fairly slowly (though I could have done it slower) transitioned him from his old food to Wellness Dry (first kitten, but then switched to Adult Indoor). He had diarrhea =/ I thought maybe it was the antibiotics he was on and he had two fecals done that were negative. Finally, I took him off Wellness dry and just fed him Grain Free Wellness canned, and he was immediately better!

However, his breath has gotten worse and canned food is quite expensive to be feeding an entire can every day. I can't figure out why he's fine on Wellness Canned but can't tolerate Wellness Dry.

Old food ingredients (http://www.pminutrition.com/ Exclusive line, either normal adult or light adult, can't remember which he was on):
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, brewers rice, Very easy to digest thou I dont like brewers since you never know what quality it is ,corn gluten
meal
easy to digest for corn , powdered cellulose could be ANY PLANT fiber most likely sawdust , chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a form of vitamin E),
natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, fish meal, potassium chloride, methionine,
salt, choline chloride, taurine, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate,
copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate,
riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6),vitamin B12 supplement,
manganese oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

New food (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w..._health.html):
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley,WHEATS sister , Ground Rice, Whitefish Mealcan cause breath issues , Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomacegreat for antioxidents but some have trouble with it , Oat Fiberanother fairly benign but could , Chicken Livercan cause breathe issues , Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Cranberries, Olive Oilthese are GREAT ingredients but can cause issues , Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta
Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, L-Carnitine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophil us, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.
those two would be my suspects

the wellness actually seems grainier

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why it affects your cat, but one of my boys (Levi) had horrible diareha on wellness. It's unfortunate because I would like to feed it to them. His tummy just could not handle it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mercury_quirks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure what to do now though, if it seems that he is allergic to some of the ingredients. The old brand of food is new and really hard to find (closest place with it is a bit over half an hour away and I don't own a car and can't drive anyway).

Do you guys know of any good food brands that don't have any of the possibly suspect ingredients? I would love to have a dry food that I can feed him alongside the wet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you easily get nutro ?>?? I would try the natural choice ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Natural Balance is suppose to be good.
cept for it too is complex simaliar to wellness

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mercury_quirks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Can you easily get nutro ?>?? I would try the natural choice ...
I think I might have seen that at the pet store where I buy Wellness for him. I'll check it out next time I'm there. Thank you!