What makes a good children's movie?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This question was posed to me last night by a friend. I decided to reflect on it a bit, and this was what I could come up with.

Darkness. Every great children's movie I've ever seen has great dark elements to it. I know I'm going to be forced to site some examples, and they are forth coming. Just give me a moment to set it all up for you. When I was a girl, most of my Friday and Saturday nights were spent in front of the TV watching movies. My parents would run down to Video Safari (I remember the name very well), and pick something up for me. Let's just say, I've watched A LOT of children's movies. In fact, I'm quite the expert.

My first examples are from Snow White and Cinderella. The Witch and Lucifer respectively. These two characters are terrifying. In a neck and neck competition with a horror movie I have a feeling that The Witch in Snow White would win out. She is so scary that even today I have a hard time looking at a picture of her. Yet, the movie doesn't let us down. Both characters are defeated in big ways so the audience is given some relief.

My second example, The Wizard of Oz. Yes, another witch, but this time she's got back up. Flying monkeys.Talk about nightmare fuel for a six year old. I had a hard time going to the zoo after that. I'm so glad that Dorthy was able to "kill" the witch with a bucket of water in the end that I cried.

So fellow TCSers, am I right about this? Post away.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had children but DW and I go to a lot of "children's" movies and enjoy them, even when we are the only adults without children in the theater, which happens often. This even happened with the movie Enchanted. So from our prespective, the one thing that makes a childrens movie good is one that adults can also enjoy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I never had children but DW and I go to a lot of "children's" movies and enjoy them, even when we are the only adults without children in the theater, which happens often. This even happened with the movie Enchanted. So from our prespective, the one thing that makes a childrens movie good is one that adults can also enjoy.
That, and I think it helps kids figure out that the world is a rough place, but friends and family can help.

I think it's part of the whole learning process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

As an adult I don't care much for kid-type movies. However, there are a few that I do like, but they are ages old.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Mary Poppins

The Sound of Music
Bedknobs is wonderful! They had the whole German army of scary!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
animals, I think if a kid's movie has animals in there somewhere it is going to be a big hit

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO what makes a good children's movie is a basic "lesson" - a good vs evil thing, and lots of scenes where there is fun and laughter (funny stuff).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a question I pondered at some length recently, when my mom picked up "All Dogs Go To Heaven" from the dollar bin somewhere. I'd heard of it, I knew there were some well-known voices in it... I expected a reasonably nice little movie.

But I H A T E D it. It made me a little bit sick just watching it, and it continued to bother me for days.

And I still haven't entirely figured out why I reacted so strongly against it. I'd love to know what others think of that movie...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

This is a question I pondered at some length recently, when my mom picked up "All Dogs Go To Heaven" from the dollar bin somewhere. I'd heard of it, I knew there were some well-known voices in it... I expected a reasonably nice little movie.

But I H A T E D it. It made me a little bit sick just watching it, and it continued to bother me for days.

And I still haven't entirely figured out why I reacted so strongly against it. I'd love to know what others think of that movie...
I have only watched parts of that movie, some of the parts were really cute, but some of the others were sad.

I don't like sad movies, even kid movies.

At the day care where I work, we are only allowed to watch G rated movies, the kids know that I don't like sad movies, and it is funny because when they are watching something that is sad, one little boy will always come up to me and say "Miss Belinda, this movie is sad, you might not wanna watch it." It is just so sweet the way he says it, he knows it will make me cry.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

At the day care where I work, we are only allowed to watch G rated movies, the kids know that I don't like sad movies, and it is funny because when they are watching something that is sad, one little boy will always come up to me and say "Miss Belinda, this movie is sad, you might not wanna watch it." It is just so sweet the way he says it, he knows it will make me cry.
Aww that's so sweet of him.

Well most children's movies have a good and bad character. The bad character needs to lose for the movie to work. I think the newer "children's" movies have too many jokes that kids just wont get or I don't think it's appropriate for small children. Cartoons aimed at older people (preteens to adults) though they know their major audience will be small children. Whatever sells I guess.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ironic, I just had to write a movie review for an essay for school.

I opted to review Finding Nemo, my all time favorite movie. It's like a family movie, though.....humor, yet dumbed down for little kids.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in shock no one else thought of this movie as the perfect example of what makes a good children's movie!!!!
Educational, influential, colorful, ofcourse "G" rated but without obvious intention, and most importantly entertaining to all ages!
FINDING NEMO!
OMG! Just noticed above post!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I like the ones that are aimed at children, with some jokes that the kids dont think are jokes, but we understand! Shrek, The Bee Movie, Finding Nemo (my all time fav also) there are tons of others I like too! Monsters Inc was a great one! I also collect disney movies, so I have them all! When I got preggers with my first kid I thought that I needed all the disney movies! LOL

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Okay, I like the ones that are aimed at children, with some jokes that the kids dont think are jokes, but we understand!
i clearly remember taking some of my nephews to see some new disney thing, & there was a short of The Prince & The Pauper, starring Mickey in the lead roles... the guard was whistling, 'Enery the 8th in one scene! only the adults laughed at that, but we enjoyed the 'in' joke!

smiffygans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love Gay Purree. It's an older movie about kitty cats. : ) I used to watch it over and over when I was smaller.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

But let us not forget Toy Story I & II! Best ever, IMO!
Toy Story RULES!
I have Toy Story cups I still use to this day.